Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Need For Speed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:22 PM

This is the third forum that I have enjoyed browsing. I have never seen a topic category like this before. I've always wanted to know: What is the obsession with speed? I'm talking about people (which these forums seem to be filled with) that will stop at no cost to make their PC boot up 1.4 seconds faster, or make an application execute .8 seconds faster. (Okay, I made the numbers up, but I think you know what I mean.) I have seen so many people pefectly willing to kill legitimate security measures to obtain "maximum speed". So tell me, how is two seconds going to change your life? To me, a lot of this is as ridiculous as if one were to remove the seat belts and air bags from their car, because the three pound loss will make the car go a half a mile an hour faster. What's the story? Is it just for the sake of the challenge?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:24 AM

Is it just for the sake of the challenge?

Partly. Party it is because we can, just like climbing a mountain. Mostly, me thinks, it is done by the youth - they like to overclock their computers even if it risks breaking them! But I won't hold youth and inexperience against them!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:40 AM

Well I turn off most of my applications at start up so it comes on faster and so I can work with it. Rarely is it seconds but minutes difference if you take items off the startup menu.

Some people just need there computer as soon as possible and get tired of waiting for stuff to load.

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:19 PM

I'm w/ cgm. It's annoying to have to wait for like 20/30 seconds after a boot before your computer can start running up to speed.

As for the whole overclocking aspect, a big thing is status. You can consider yourself more of an expert (or nerd, depending on how you look at it) depending on the amount of overclockage (yeah, i said it) you can tweak your processor. Larger percentages mean better tweaking, and better tweaking (sometimes) means "more knowledge". Except when you melt your processor to your mobo..... those vids are cool.... :thumbsup:

As for myself, i can't overclock anything. I have an eMachines, and after sifting through the bios and mobo hardware, i googled and found that eMachines are pretty much impossible to overclock. So i'm stuck w/ limiting the running processes to get the most speed out of my box. If i'm wrong about eM's, someone please tell me....

#5 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 03:12 PM

Guilty as charged, rlprlp. I spent $70 on a 512mb stick of RAM so it would boot up both the computer and programs faster. I think its worth it so I don't have to wait ten minutes for my computer to boot up, or a another 5 minutes for Photoshop to start. As cgm and HM have said, its minutes, not seconds that I gained. Besides, it was my money, and I spent it my way! :thumbsup:

#6 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I couldn't agree more when the time frame can be measured in minutes; I do the same. But it is interesting to hear from those who try to gain "speed boosts" than can only be measured in seconds. I hope more will share their opinions.

Heretic Monkey: So you're a big fan, too? I've been playing guitar about 25 years (yeah, I'm old!). I even played lead for a band that became pretty popular (locally) in the late 90's. Tony Iommi is my HANDS DOWN music hero!

Edited by rlprlp, 06 September 2006 - 08:02 PM.

#7 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:30 PM

I thought you were talking about the need for speed while driving! heh... well on topic. I am just sick and tired of waiting for my stinkin computer to boot, so I naturally figured out every way to speed it up. And guess what? Windows now loads in about 8 seconds flat. And I'm using an IDE 100 drive as my primary!

And if I had the sources... I wouldnt have a 9800XT, but rather 2x X1950s in Xfire, then junk them when DX10 capable cards come out.

Edited by legoman786, 12 September 2006 - 11:31 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:32 AM

why overclock? why tweak? because i can. am i above burning up a $200 processor? No ive destroyed $10,000 engines because I can.

For the most part i do it because the manufacturers derate the processors to make them all run even. why run at less then full speed. No 2 processors will run the exact same top speed

Posted Image

#9 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:31 PM

I personally am not good enough with computers to figure out how to make mine boot faster. But I'm not worried about it, and even if I did know how, I wouldn't bother. In fact, in regards to security, I like to be as thorough as possible, which often means slower performance. But if an anti-virus is set to start as soon as I log on, I'll turn that off because I run virus scans when I want, and don't want to wait an extra 10 mins every time I turn my computer on. And with the options for virus scanning, I tell it to be as thorough as possible and scan everything very thoroughly, even though that takes longer.

Oh, and yea, I thought this was about some people's obsession with driving too fast lol.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#10 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:50 AM

Personally I'm not that bothered about how fast my computer starts up, in fact, it takes about 3 minutes before it is ready to use. (maybe longer) This doesn't bother me though because when it is ready it runs perfectly, just with all the programs that I want to use, ready for me. And as I turn the computer on when I wake up and don't turn it off till I go to bed, (sometimes it's on for days before I turn it off again) it makes even less difference.

Edited by evilmonkeyz, 16 April 2007 - 06:50 AM.

If life gives you lemons you should make lemonade, then find a buddy that life gave him vodka and throw a party!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users