Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS ACPI-Compliant System is using 457 IRQs... for WHAT?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 I8Tani

I8Tani

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:28 AM

To start at the beginning,   I have been super annoyed with the jet plane whirring of my Lenovo AIO's fan whenever I play a game it seems to get louder and louder. I understand this means that things are running hot, so I cleaned both fans, all the vents, heat sinks, etc. Though they were not the slightest bit dusty, the problem persisted.

Next I used SpeedFan to read the 2 case temperature sensors, the 2 Core temps, and the HD temp. It couldn't communicate with my flavor of fans, but when I started to play a game while watching the SpeedFan heat numbers... and sure enough the cores began to overheat, as did the HD, and the FANS started trying to cool everything down by freaking out.

I'm not sure how this led me to looking through my hardware config, but here is where things get strange... the ACPI-Compliant System is using no less than 457 Interrupts!  IRQ Numbers 54 through 511 are all Microsoft ACPI- Compliant System  with the Status: OK         457!   What on earth for?   I'm worried about things having to share, and conflicts while this pig is over here with 457 of its own interrupts...  :unsure:  inconceivable! Is that causing my heat/fan issue?  Someone please stop the insanity, or help me understand so that I can stop it. My OS and Build are listed below, & I can furnish any other info you'd like, just let me know.

Thanks in advance O' wise ones.   ~Tani

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
System Mfg LENOVO
System Model 10149
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU LENOVO_MT_1014
Processor Intel® Pentium® CPU G3240T @ 2.70GHz, 2700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

Please post a screenshot or a snipping tool image of the SpeedFan temperatures.

Every expansion slot, every device or controller on the motherboard has IRQ associated with it.  Everytime one of these needs to communicate with the CPU a interrupt request occurs.  So you can imagine why you see so many IRQs.

If you believe that there is a problem with a IRQ check in the Device Manager to see if there are any yellow warnings or red errors.

Open the Device Manager, click/tap on View, select Resources by type, then Interrupt Request (IRQ).

Edited by dc3, 14 March 2017 - 08:59 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 I8Tani

I8Tani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for the reply. Here are my snips... at rest, and then Playing a game.    

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_oAID-jvoCibWtkWUVvZGtDWVE/view  

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_oAID-jvoCib1lxNlAtNEZ2WjQ/view

I understand that IRQs are hardware lines over which devices send interrupt signals to the microprocessor.  The interrupt signal is sent to the processor requesting it to temporarily stop a running a program, and allow another program, an interrupt handler, to run instead. Lines are numbered, and assigned by number to the various devices.  Some devices share one IRQ line.

The question here is what one device needs 457 unique lines assigned to it? In my system the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) which controls my temp sensors, and fans among other things thinks that it needs to interrupt the processor SO much that it wants 457 lines to do it? That just blows my mind.  I've never seen such a thing in any previous version of Windows or any other OS, not that I was looking for it... but I would have noticed.

I must be doing something wrong with the snips here, but the links work.

Oh, it says I am not allowed to use the image extension on this community.  ok :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users