Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

a graphics card+other parts

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JustAnotherPerson

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:45 AM

hey, sorry i dont know where to put this question, but how long can you store away graphics cards, ram, and a cpu? i have a spare graphics card, cpu, and ram just lying in a box and i dont know how long i should leave them there. i have a computer that works perfectly fine currently so i have no use for them as of now

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

There is no time limit.  CPU and RAM should last pretty much forever if stored in good conditions (proper packaging, not excessively cold, hot or damp conditions etc.). On a graphics card components like capacitors could possibly degrade over time, or they may not.  I've got old hardware working that has been 15 years old.  I wasn't so lucky recently trying to revive an old PC that was just 8 years old (stored for the last 3).  It appeared to be entirely dead, I could manually start it's PSU using a jumper on pins in the connector, but no amount of fiddling would get the PC to power up in the normal way.  I decided it was not worth the effort to try to continue...

So with circuit boards like motherboards and GPU's, you might find they work or not after very long term storage.  The other issue is standards may move on and they become obsolete, as in IDE hard disks or AGP video cards...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users