Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My new monitor is making popping noises (and is also a zombie)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 spadesart

spadesart

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:20 AM

Hey y'all, last thursday (march 9th) I bought myself a huion Gt 220 v2 pen display tablet, and today the monitor (NOT the speakers. the monitor itself) has started making popping and cracking noises. I figured it was something with the stand or the weight of me drawing on it, but it's been making the noises when I'm not even touching it! now it's completely unplugged from everything, turned off, face down (so its not putting pressure on the stand) and it's CONTINUING TO POP AND CRACKLE. This thing cost $699 and I'm a little worried (more like so worried its making me physically nauseous) about it and if it's gonna spontaneously combust or explode. probably not but I JUST bought this thing.

The computer it's connected to is a Lenovo Yoga laptop running 64 bit Windows 10. The programs I run the most on it are Paint Tool SAI, Discord and Google Chrome. There is no evidence of any screen issues aside from a slightly bright spot right at the edge of the monitor. It pops every 30 seconds to every 10 minutes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:22 AM

Might be a Capacitor within the Unit ...A Bad Cap.

Maybe return the Unit as having a Fault / Under Warranty.

#3 spadesart

spadesart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:30 AM

Might be a Capacitor within the Unit ...A Bad Cap.

Maybe return the Unit as having a Fault / Under Warranty.

hmm. well I don't have any of the other symtoms of that? I really don't want to take it apart and theres no issues with how it's running or the display. The noises also stopped about an hour and a half after unplugging and turning it off.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

There is a certain amount of creaking and popping that happens on new equipment but usually only the first couple times it's turned on and only for a second.  Warranty time.

#5 spadesart

spadesart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:37 PM

Here, managed to catch it on video.

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:26 AM

Sounds like a Hard Drive Arm Losing the Plot { Its not that we Now }.

So now it depends , will you put up with the noise , as it works ok , or RMA it.

Dont pull it Apart { Warranty Void }.

I hate small annoyances for no reason and no one to blame...

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,218 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:41 AM

The noises also stopped about an hour and a half after unplugging and turning it off.

It's probably thermal, expansion and contraction of plastic parts. After an hour and a half it has reached room temperature and no longer happens. Comments from users online suggest the unit runs quite hot and may not be suited to long sessions of operation. Does yours seem to produce much heat?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 spadesart

spadesart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:09 AM

The noises also stopped about an hour and a half after unplugging and turning it off.

It's probably thermal, expansion and contraction of plastic parts. After an hour and a half it has reached room temperature and no longer happens. Comments from users online suggest the unit runs quite hot and may not be suited to long sessions of operation. Does yours seem to produce much heat?

the only part that gets hot is the top of the tablet

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

I have noticed that some tablets get quite hot on the back side,  usually around the CPU areas.  I have also noticed some noises but it was from users who didn't remove the protective plastic shipping overlay on the screen.  My Lenovo has a completely enclosed BobJGear silicone folder and it traps the heat and does create some plastic expansion.

#10 spadesart

spadesart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

Slight update: started paying more attention to it and it seems like it being a termal thing is a real possibility since it shuts up when it gets to it's max heat and after it's turned off and cooled down. It clicks in between those temperatures.

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

If you don't mind me speaking a bit plainly...no offense intended!....you better stop messing around with an obviously faulty monitor. One day that thing may short out and start a fire, a capacitor will explode, and if there is an electrical short it could also feed back through the video cable and damage your computer. Technology either works properly or it doesn't, and if anything else is damaged when this thing fails one day you will have no recourse, everything comes out of your pocket including a new computer. If your immediate return date passes (from whatever retail place you purchase it from) you will have to deal with the manufacturer, and seriously, you really don't want to have to do that. Most of these Asian manufacturers have the worst possible customer service, or no service at at all.

Just one man's opinion... :cowboy:

Edited by ranchhand_, 16 March 2017 - 09:00 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#12 spadesart

spadesart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:33 PM

If you don't mind me speaking a bit plainly...no offense intended!....you better stop messing around with an obviously faulty monitor. One day that thing may short out and start a fire, a capacitor will explode, and if there is an electrical short it could also feed back through the video cable and damage your computer. Technology either works properly or it doesn't, and if anything else is damaged when this thing fails one day you will have no recourse, everything comes out of your pocket including a new computer. If your immediate return date passes (from whatever retail place you purchase it from) you will have to deal with the manufacturer, and seriously, you really don't want to have to do that. Most of these Asian manufacturers have the worst possible customer service, or no service at at all.
Just one man's opinion... :cowboy:

oh yikes ok. ill definitely keep that in mind. today however it was a lot quieter.

#13 spadesart

spadesart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

I'm just really reluctant to return it because amazon will only refund it, then I'd have to wait 2+ weeks to get my money back, THEN rebuy the tablet and wait for it to ship again. I just want to know it'd be worth it :^(

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,218 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:20 PM

When the unit settles into a quiet state being fully warmed up, if you then shut it off fully including turning off at the mains, within seconds there will be no electrical activity occurring. Cracking or ticking sounds that occur while it is then cooling off to room temperature are mechanical. If that's what you observe, then you'd need to decide if you think it looks like it will improve and hopefully settle right down, or if the annoyance if it continues would be too great.

Over the years I've seen manufacturers issue kits of soft padding strips for plastic cabinets that make thermal clicking noises, but they were well supported brands like LG, Samsung and Philips. The release of retrofit kits also emphasizes it can be a characteristic of particular models, so an unmodified replacement is likely to be similar.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users