Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about keeping a nonworking fan in computer.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rjisinspired

rjisinspired

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

I have a Coolermaster 200MM fan plugged in right now. This fan stopped spinning as of the other night but the LEDs are on.

Would it be all right to keep this fan plugged in to the motherboard until I am able to open up the case and disconnect it? The reason why I am not able to do so at this time is because of static discharge. It is cold up here in New England, still. Even if I try to take out the charge by grounding and touching something metal there is still the chance of a static snap charge to take place and I do not want to harm anything. It is a little bit warm in my apartment but I still get static discharge during the winter times.

I might not even need this top fan. The temperatures inside for the board and drives are either the same or a tad lower which is interesting, yet I have not attempted to really work the computer, editing HD videos, without this fan.

Thanks for any input that anyone may have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

If its Faulty and not working then why not pull it from the Board ?

It may not cause further issues if left alone , but it may.

Shut Down the PC , Disconnect Power lead , Hold the Power Button to Discharge for 30m Secs . Open Case  , Ground to the PC , Wear an Anti Static band on Wrist if you have one  , then Pull the Plastic Connector for the Fan.

I dont use Anti Statics , but the process above , and have never had an issue in 10 yrs.

Can it happen though ? Maybe / Possibility = yes.

If you do nothing , then you gain nothing in the problem. 

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:15 PM

If there is a break in the electrical connection itself, there is no danger. If the bearings freeze up and prevent the fan blades from rotating, but power is still being routed into the motor, it may overheat and cause a short, something you definitely do not want.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 rjisinspired

rjisinspired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:46 PM

Thanks Havachat and Ranchhand_

I went ahead and was able to disconnect the three pin connector from the board.

Thanks for both of your time.

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:24 AM

Your Welcome :

We can all sleep peacefully , knowing a " Short " didnt Burn The House Down { No Pun Intended }.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users