Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BitDefender Free 2017 and Malwarebytes 3.0??

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hedera

hedera

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

Some years ago because I was so fried with the way my paid Norton Security subscription was dragging my computer along (perceptible slowdowns when it was scanning), I decided to go to free anti-virus and anti-malware tools.  I tried Microsoft Security Essentials and I liked it, but around June 2015, it developed a bug (a full scan would hang, about 3/4 of the way through and never recovered).  I couldn't trust it, I was run off my feet, and Microsoft showed no sign of fixing it.  I looked around, including in this forum, and finally decided on BitDefender Free, which I installed on my laptop and desktop, both running Windows 7 64 bit.  (They both still are; I chose not to upgrade to Win10.)

In October 2016, MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit (for which I had a paid premium subscription) simply vanished from both computers, and when I tried to fix it, it kept telling me my license and ID were incorrect (they weren't).  All I could get was a 2 week free trial, now gone.  They fixed the desktop for me once, but the error recurred.  By December I didn't have a good response from Malwarebytes support and they began to urge me to install MalwareBytes 3.0, which had just come out.  (I'm guessing they dumped AntiExploit because they planned to put it in v.3)  The desktop is my primary box and I'm terribly suspicious of things that just came out, so I installed it on the laptop, and had several nasty rounds with a corrupted installer and instructions that I had to put Malwarebytes 3 on the "exclusion list" for BitDefender.  The Free edition, of course, has no "exclusion list" capabilities.  MB3 is finally working, except that every couple of weeks it comes up with real-time protection turned off and I have to reboot the laptop to make it turn on.  Someday I'll take that up with them.  Since I couldn't use it with BitDefender, I uninstalled it on the laptop and installed Avast Anti-Virus Free, which seemed to work but flooded me with upgrade requests.

BitDefender on the desktop has recently given me "stopped working" messages after I log into the desktop from the laptop using GoToMyPC.  Today I found that BitDefender Free had released a 2017 upgrade.  I installed it on the desktop and so far it seems to have fixed the "stopped working" problem, so I decided to try to install it on the laptop.

It told me there was an incompatible program and asked if it should uninstall MalwareBytes 3.  I told it no, and right now the laptop is running on Windows Defender.  I didn't get this error on the desktop, which currently runs Malwarebytes 2.x, so BitDefender's problems seem only to be with MB3.0.

I'm tired of this.  I'd like to run the same security tools on all 3 of my systems (I also have a Win10 laptop running old BitDefender Free that I only use for travel). 

Did Microsoft ever fix the hang in the full scan in Microsoft Essentials?  I could go back to that.  Or I could try Avira or Panda.  Is there a better malware alternative to MalwareBytes?  If I go to a paid product, will it eat my system again?  Recommendations appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

Since Malwarebytes 3.0 which combines their previous Anti-Malware, Anti-Exploit, Anti-Ransomware programs along with malicious website protection into one product was released, many users have reported various issues and glitches. While Malwarebytes has diligently attempted to address these problems, the development team is still receiving complaints. For those users who are in that category, I would recommend they stay with or revert back to Malwarebytes 2.x.

Malwarebytes 2.2.1.1043 is still available and can be downloaded from here.

That way you can continue to use Bitdender.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for the link; I'd like to do that on my laptop, except that Malwarebytes is now trying to push an upgrade on my desktop, which still has v.2. I've ignored it, but as long as I don't upgrade, MBAM has an icon and a "you are not current" message.  I may try to uninstall MB3, which I agree is Not Ready for Prime Time, install BitDefender Free 2017 (which now allows me to exclude files) and then reinstall Malwarebytes 2.

I now wonder how long will Malwarebytes continue to send database updates to v.2??

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

Database updates most likely will end at some point but by then the issues with v3.0 hopefully will be resolved.

What if I decide not to upgrade to Malwarebytes 3.0?
...Users may choose not to upgrade and continue to use older versions after the End of Life date if they wish, but they do so at their own risk, since we can’t guarantee that ongoing protection updates will be available. Please see malwarebytes.com/support/lifecycle for more details.

Malwarebytes 3.0 FAQs: Upgrading to Malwarebytes 3.0

#5 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

Don't mean to butt in, but I've found that free AV-type scanners are better. They don't have to earn money, and that makes a huge difference. You can always update the database, as well as upgrade the program itself. It may be sad that certain features aren't available unless you get a paid version, but still, once you pay, you can be throttled for renewals.

I'm very disillusioned with these scanners. Even the free ones fail to catch things, even when I KNOW I have either been hacked or infected. All they seem to find are PUPs. But Clamwin finds a lot that the others can't. It's free, and hasn't got any features that make things easier, but it DOES find trojans and stuff like HTML exploits. Last scan, it found 54 infections, whereas the other free versions find nothing.

But not even Clamewin helps with the hacks that usually play out on political e-mails and the sites they link to. And so far, none of the experts has any answers to that.

Unless you really NEED the special features, the free versions are always a better choice.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.

Security is all about layers and not depending on any one solution, technology or approach to protect yourself from cyber-criminals. The most important layer is you...the first and last line of defense. Security begins with personal responsibility and includes a comprehensive approach. Common sense, good security habits, safe surfing, understanding security and safe computing are essential to protecting yourself from malware infection. Thus, a multi-layered defense using an anti-malware and anti-exploit solution to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and following Best Practices for Safe Computing provides the most complete protection.

#7 hitbit_3

hitbit_3

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

Had this problem with BitDefender Total Security 2017 and MalWarebytes 2. Eventually the problem was resolved. MalWareBytes 3 seems to be working fine with BD but I have disabled the malware module ( in BitDefender ).

Anyone having issues with BitDefender products would be better off using another company's products as their technical support is very very poor even  for paid subscribers such as myself. You can be left for weeks without a reply to requests for assistance. When you do get a response they regularly answer something you did not ask while failing to answer that which you did ask. This is most unfortunate as despite some minor issues BitDefender is a very good security suite but not for the inexperienced.

MalWarebytes users might consider simply adding a Firewall now that V3 has an Anti Virus engine and their Anti Exploit and Anti Ransomware products are integrated within same.

hitbit.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:07 PM

...MalWarebytes users might consider simply adding a Firewall now that V3 has an Anti Virus engine and their Anti Exploit and Anti Ransomware products are integrated within same.

Although Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium claims it can be used as a replacement for an existing anti-virus, it is not an anti-virus. Malwarebytes has limitations and lacks many constructs that a traditional anti-virus applications employ...it does not detect legacy malware, scripted files often used by malware, document files, media files and it is incapable of of removing malicious code that has been prepended or injected into legitimate files (i.e. file infectors, Trojan patches). The Anti-Exploit module is primarily for protection against software exploitation... it does not protect against social engineering, the human exploit often resulting from fraud, spam and phishing emails.

This is an explanation by David H. Lipman, a trusted Security Colleague and Malware Researcher/Analyst.

MBAM is not an anti virus application and does not replace an an anti virus application. MBAM is an adjunct, complimentary, anti malware application.

In its role as a adjunct, complimentary, anti malware application it has limitations in aspects that the anti virus application performs in its role. MBAM does not target script files...It also does not target document files...media files...MBAM targets mainly non-viral malware. The exception being a virus dropper (a malware file that drops a virus and starts a virus infection but is not infected with the virus) and worms (such as Internet worms and AutoRun worms). MBAM is incapable of removing malicious code that has been prepended, appended or cavity injected into a legitimate file. That means if a file infecting virus infects a legitimate file MBAM will be unable to remove the malicious code...MBAM is not a historical anti malware solution. That means it will not target old malware. It's intent is to target 0-Day malware. Malware that is infecting computers Today with malware found in-the-wild, Today...With all the things that that MBAM can not do, it is not an anti virus application and it remains an anti malware application which relegates it to its complimentary position.

Dave provides the same explanation in this topic at Malwarebytes where he provides assistance on the forums board.

That indicates to me that Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium is still better served as an adjunct anti-malware solution to complement and strengthen your protection when utilizing a traditional anti-virus solution.

#9 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,852 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

hitbit_3:

I am a long-time user of Bitdefender Total Security and both Malwarebytes 2 and 3.  I have had issues, in the past, with Malwarebytes 3, but they were not attributable to Bitdefender, and those issues have been since resolved by Malwarebytes.

My experience with Bitdefender Technical Support has been very different from what you report.  I am on the Bitdefender Forums daily.  Sorin G., a Bitdefender representative, posts daily and he does his best to ensure that any identified issues are resolved expeditiously.

Just my two cents.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

PS: The above-comments are my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the views of Bleeping Computer.

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

#10 hitbit_3

hitbit_3

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

Hi Phil,

My experience with BitDefender support is awash with sorry for the delay mails. My most recent query 3 weeks now simply asked as to why search advisor keeps turning itself off every time I turn my pc off. I find this disappointing and so would not recommend their products to the inexperienced. I am not saying there is anything major wrong with the programme.

hitbit

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:59 PM

I have found that support in the forums is usually faster than submitting tickets or exchanging emails.

#12 Carpentry

Carpentry

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:14 PM

Hedera, or anyone else, does updating to MB 3.0 work out well with your updated 2017 Bitdefender Free? I would like to update to MBAM 3.0 if things worked out for you.

I uninstalled MBAM then installed Bitdefender, and then installed Mbam 2.0. Any advice on which specific files to add to the exclusions lists on both programs?

Edited by Carpentry, 25 April 2017 - 11:09 PM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:25 AM

It should work...however, since Malwarebytes 3.0 was released, many users have reported various issues and glitches. While Malwarebytes has diligently attempted to address these problems, the development team is still receiving complaints. For those users who are in that category, they can stay with or revert back to Malwarebytes 2.x which can be downloaded from here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users