Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Windows password removal possible w/ATA/ATAPI adapter?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brettlas

Brettlas

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:39 PM

I want to thank you guys/girls in advance for allowing me to even join this site,This will be my first forum post ever and hope it is placed properly. I acquired roughly 10 random computers, laptops and desktops. I am using this pile of parts to learn all I can through making them work and giving them away to those unable to purchase one.

I have rigged up a ATA/ATAPI connector from a XBOX360 transfer cable and can access all of the info in each hdd when removed. I plug it in, boot it up and am stopped by a Windows user password. Does the password exist where I can delete it while connected by ATA? or can I possibly edit or delete a user profile. I don;t expect anyone to type a novel answering this, if someone could just point me to an article or post you may have found previously. Every time I search I think I found my info and end up getting sucked in to something similar but can't stop reading half way through. I have learned sooooo much the last few months but not what I really need. I know about password removal software but have not had much success, I am working with systems that have windows 98 through 8.1 installed...

I'm not sure what posting my machines specs would really help but rules are rules. LOL

HP G62
OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 10 Home
OS Version:                10.0.14393 N/A Build 14393
System Manufacturer:       Hewlett-Packard
System Model:              HP G62 Notebook PC
System Type:               x64-based PC
Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.
                           [01]: AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~2200 Mhz
BIOS Version:              Hewlett-Packard F.16, 9/15/2010
Windows Directory:         C:\WINDOWS
System Directory:          C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device:               \Device\HarddiskVolume2
System Locale:             en-us;English (United States)
Input Locale:              en-us;English (United States)
Time Zone:                 (UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)
Total Physical Memory:     2,811 MB
Available Physical Memory: 1,003 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size:  5,627 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 3,585 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use:    2,042 MB
Page File Location(s):     C:\pagefile.sys
Network Card(s):           2 NIC(s) Installed.
                           [01]: Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
                                 Connection Name: Local Area Connection
                           [02]: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 802.11b|g|n WiFi Adapter
                                 Connection Name: Wireless Network Connection
                                 DHCP Enabled:    Yes

Hyper-V Requirements:      VM Monitor Mode Extensions: Yes
                           Virtualization Enabled In Firmware: No
                           Second Level Address Translation: Yes
                           Data Execution Prevention Available: Yes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

If you're refurbishing these machines I wouldn't worry about what's on the drives. I'd just reinstall a fresh copy of whatever version of windows they are licensed.

It isn't very clear when you're getting this user password message.  If you're slaving the drive to a running machine the password is worthless unless the drive is encrypted, but then you'd be asking about BitLocker or TrueCrypt.  A little more detail on what you want to accomplish by connecting to the drive would be helpful.

#3 Brettlas

Brettlas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

Some of these donated machines have no hdd and others come with a request to retrieve pictures etc and move to thumb drive. I use my jenky looking xbox connector to zip documents for each user profile. Kind of time intensive and was hoping to just create a backup by fixing the computer but nobody remembers their passwords on that old Windows ME or XP that broke down a couple yrs ago. I would love to hear that I just remove hdd, find folder (X), delete line (Y), reinstall hdd and no more password stopping me from accessing operating system. I do wipe them and do fresh install before donating them...

Btw, I only know enough to cover my tracks if I end up on an adult site accidentally and be slightly dangerous to computers. In my defense, I have managed to make every computer work that I have put my hands on lately.

Edited by Brettlas, 13 March 2017 - 04:06 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:37 PM

If you can access the data on the drives using the ATA adapter would not that in itself bypass any Windows password allowing you to recover the data to a USB flash drive? Or, is your intention to keep the Windows install? You can attach the HDD internally to any computer, then use this tool to reset the password via a bootable CD. 

Edit: Here is a video showing the Offline Registry Editor clearing a password.

This free bootable disk can also do it.

http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recovery-suite-free.html

Video using lazesoft

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 March 2017 - 04:46 PM.

#5 Brettlas

Brettlas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. I've tried to avoid downloading from everyone for fear of infections, but now that I think about it, this is all being done on a computer that just came back to life this morning and I created an ISO immediately. The only reason for wanting the OS working is so I can just easily copy docs, pics, etc in the same format people are used to. I made the mistake of being lazy and just grabbing entire user profiles and transferring to a stick and I have no idea what they did when they opened it but I spent hours in uncomfortable silence at their house doing a recovery while everyone stared. I am not trained or even skilled! Just wingin' it and for no money.

I can't wait to try this password thing out. I'll let you know in a couple hours.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:10 PM

If you want to keep the Windows install the the password reset disks are the way to go. If you want an easy way to recover data from the HDD and do not intend to keep the Windows install look at creating a bootable linux disk like Parted Magic. The last free version of an iso is available here. Parted Magic is also available on the UBCD.

Parted Magic copy guide.

Edit: The drive labeling on linux has a different nomenclature. There are no drive letters. If you attach the HDD via an adapter the drive label could be sdb or sdc, even sdd depending on how many drives are installed on the computer you are booting the Parted Magic from.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 March 2017 - 05:12 PM.

#7 Brettlas

Brettlas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

That was some awesome and spot on advise to use Lazesoft. How is that not the most widely known software company in the world?, Very easy to navigate through and worked lflawlessly removing the password on a machine running XP Professional. It also magically fixed an Acer laptop that was stuck in a boot loop. I am going to deliberately remove important items from a hdd just to see what else it can do. I can't thank you enough.

Thank you,

Brett

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:18 PM

No problem, glad the lazesoft program worked out. It's definitely easier than the NT offline registry editor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users