Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hacked?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pointe

Pointe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

Please help.  I got a pop-up that I had a virus. It would not go away, locking up my computed.  I called the number and they said they contracted with Apply to help with viruses on my computed.  After they entered my computer they said it would cost $299.00 for two years of protection and I would have to get a prepaid visa.  They entered my computed remotely and said hey cleared the virus and also put on Google Chrome, leaving my Safari in tack.  This happened last Friday, 3-10-17.  I am supposed to pay by today, but I don't want to.  However I am afraid they will crash my computer if I don't.  

PLEASE HELP AS I AM SCARED.

Regards,

Pointe

Moved from General Security

NickAu

Edited by NickAu, 13 March 2017 - 05:09 PM.
mod edit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

Please help.  I got a pop-up that I had a virus. It would not go away, locking up my computed.  I called the number and they said they contracted with Apply to help with viruses on my computed.  After they entered my computer they said it would cost $299.00 for two years of protection and I would have to get a prepaid visa.  They entered my computed remotely and said hey cleared the virus and also put on Google Chrome, leaving my Safari in tack.  This happened last Friday, 3-10-17.  I am supposed to pay by today, but I don't want to.  However I am afraid they will crash my computer if I don't.  

PLEASE HELP AS I AM SCARED.

Regards,

Pointe

Moved from General Security

NickAu

This is a scam. Delete whatever remote access program they put on your computer by pressing your search button, searching 'Uninstall a program' and pressing enter. Then remove the program. You should also look for any strange unknown programs that seem like viruses.

Was it a popup on your browser or an actual program on your computer? If it was an actual program, then you have a virus. I would recommend downloading hitman pro and malwarebytes anti-malware, two very reputable antivirus programs, and use these to remove it.

Link for hitman pro: https://www.hitmanpro.com/en-us.aspx

Link for malware bytes anti-malware: https://www.malwarebytes.com/

This scam is known as a tech support scam. They typically have a thick Indian accent, and use fear tactics such as a virus that either doesn't exist or one that they created. They then get your credit card, and you'll be lucky if they just spend the $299.

DO NOT PAY THEM.

here is a good article on the technical support scam: https://blog.malwarebytes.com/tech-support-scams/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users