Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jpeg repair tool

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Resilo

Resilo

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

Im not even sure if we have this kind of technology yet but is there some kind of program that can attempt to repair broken jpeg files even with a low chance of success?

A little information for anyone curious

I am a novice computer technician.

my education is a diploma level in Network Systems Administration.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

No recommendations here, but if you Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=broken+jpeg+file&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 Resilo

Resilo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

tons that claim they work but i wasn't to sure if there was one that has been known to work regularly somewhere or not

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

I would suggest trying some of the free ones, at this link.... http://www.jihosoft.com/free-utilities/jpeg-repair-tool.html

If possible, backup the broken jpegs first. If the first free one is a no go, continue on to the next one etc.

Exercise caution installing the freeware choices & avoid any offers to install other unwanted software/utilities etc.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

Not that this is directly related to the original question, but it is to the installation of freeware now that the loathsome practice of bundling is ubiquitous.

I really cannot recommend the Unchecky program highly enough.  I'm awfully good about always using "advanced mode" or its equivalent and reading the various dialogs that come up, but it's even saved me on several occasions by unchecking an "offer" that I somehow missed (and it notifies you that it's doing so such that you can check it again if it happens to be something you really want - which is exceedingly rare in my experience).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 Resilo

Resilo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

thanks guys. Yea the plague of bundling these days is definitely a real pain in the ass.

#7 UPI

UPI

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:22 AM

I know it's an old topic but I made one! Free version actually works and allows you to repair JPEGs. Only limitation is batch mode is disabled.

I have repaired zillions of JPEGs, and most effective method for repairing header damage actually is, grabbing the header of a known good file and stick that on the corrupt jpeg using a hex editor.

Using HxD (free) this means:

Sample

Sample should be known good file shot with same device, with same settings. Search for last instance of the byte combo FF DA. Copy everything from (and including FF DA) to start of file to new file. Call it header.dat or whatever.

Corrupt file

Find last instance of FF DA (if any, file can be too corrupt) and delete everything in front of it. Open header.dat, select all, copy and switch back to corrupt file. Go to offset and select paste insert. Save file as rescued.jpg or whatever.

If damage was limited to the header, file is now fixed.

I have made a tool that automates this (and which does some more): https://www.disktuna.com/jpgrepair-fix-and-repair-corrupt-jpeg-headers-and-invalid-markers/

Free version is functional, it saves repaired jpegs, just batch mode is disabled.

If this is considered spam or spammy, let me know and I'll remove the URL.

Joep

#8 imhome

imhome

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:01 AM

Hey, thanks for sharing the toool, I was looking for something like this. Haven't tried it yet, will let you know if it works for me but thanks again

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users