Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer CD info to external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cheez

cheez

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

My granddaughter's computer is a Acer Aspire One 722

It will not startup so I can not get to system restore or drive D to create a recovery USB.
This PC does not have a CD/DVD drive.

I contacted Acer to purchase a recovery USB.  I was informed they have no USB recovery for this PC only a CD recovery disk, and I would have to purchase an external hard drive to put the disk on.  When I ask him to please explain how to do this, he did'nt know.  He just kept repeating just put the cd on the drive.

Does any one know how I can transfer the information from the CD to the external drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

https://community.acer.com/t5/2013-Archives/Acer-Aspire-One-722-Netbook-Back-To-Factory-Settings-Without/td-p/60403

Louis

#3 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

Thank you hamluis for your help.

Unfortunately it didn't work.

I went to Acer, learned how to use eRecovery Management outside of windows.
I choose "Restore Operating System to Factory Defaults".

When it reached "Setup is Starting Services" it froze.  I let it set for over 2 hours.
I have tried to start over several times, it will not go past "Starting Services" then freezes.

Which brings me back to my original question, how will I get the restore CD onto a external drive or usb flash drive?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

This may be due to a bad drive. I would test the drive using UBCD. Create a bootable USB flash drive using Rufus and the iso file. Boot the flash drive and select Parted Magic at the menu. At the desktop select Disk Health and do the short/long tests. If the drive passes then you can use Rufus with an iso file of the OS.

What is the OS that was on the computer? Windows 7 or Windows 8? If Windows 7 is there a COA sticker on the bottom of the computer or in the battery compartment showing a legible key? It's possible you will not need to purchase recovery disks from Acer if you have a legible key on the COA sticker. 

If you do not have a legible key then you can create an iso from a CD/DVD using Imgburn. Make sure you use a read speed of no faster than 4x if possible. Also when selecting Destination make sure the file is saved as an iso file.Use Rufus with the iso file to create the bootable flash drive.

#5 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:00 PM

Hi JohnC_21, and thank you for your reply.

The OS is windows 7, and I do have the Product Key.

I apologize for not replying sooner, but I am having some trouble with my own computer and today I have been very busy trying to keep snow drifts out of the driveway.
I have tried to download UBCD, I keep getting sent to Spotmau to purchase Power Suite.  As for the ISO file for the OS, I don't have one.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

I am also running into issues. None of the mirrors work. This is not normal. In the mean time you can download an iso of your Windows 7 version using this tool.

I will continue to look for a site to download the UBCD iso file.

Edit: Here is a direct download link for UBCD from Techspot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 March 2017 - 06:14 PM.

#7 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

Hi JohnC_21, thank you again.

After selecting "Parted Magic" from the menu, on the next screen I was not sure what to choose, so I selected #1 "Default Settings (Runs from RAM)".  
When it reached "Installing Packages" the computer shut down.

I tried several more times to pin point when it shuts down.

verifying package clamav-definitions.txz
xz: (stdin) compressed data is corrupt
package has not been created

when this comes up,  verifying package fprot-definitions.txz, the computer shuts down each time.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

That was the correct setting, run from RAM. But, I think the download somehow was corrupted. 

xz: (stdin) compressed data is corrupt

I was really stupid. I was clicking the links on the download page for UBCD. It's been awhile since I downloaded it. Download the iso again by selecting one of the mirrors and clicking one of the little drive icons.

If you still have issues you can download the iso of Seatools for DOS and use it with Rufus to create the bootable flash drive. When using Rufus select MBR for a partition scheme and leave all boxes as checked.

Edit: This could be a memory problem in which case you can download the iso file of Memtest+86 and let it run for at least 6 passes.

http://www.memtest.org/download/5.01/memtest86+-5.01.iso.zip

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 March 2017 - 03:32 PM.

#9 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:01 PM

Sorry JohnC_21

I am just having no luck today.  I still can not download "UBCD" from your link.  I then tried your link to "SeaTools for DOS", the only download button on the page does not work.

I then went to Seagate's web site and downloaded the SeaTools for DOS. When I tried to use Rufus I got this,

Unsupported Image
This image is either non-bootable, or it uses a boot or compression method that is not supported by Rufus. 

Edit: After posting above, I downloaded MemTest86 ISO and I received the same message from Rufus.

Edited by cheez, 15 March 2017 - 06:12 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

Here is a direct link to the UBCD from the mirror in the US.

Edit: Click the green download link here for UBCD

Here is the direct link for the Seatools for DOS file. 

http://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/downloads/seatools/_shared/downloads/SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO

I am not sure why Rufus says the file is non-bootable. I downloaded from the above link and Imgburn shows the iso as bootable as you can see from the attached image.

Edit Edit: You are not running Rufus from the flash drive are you? Rufus should be on your desktop when started.

Attached Files

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 March 2017 - 06:15 PM.

#11 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

I got the same message from Rufus regarding MemTest86.

Just tried the new link for SeaTools  and got the same message.  Is there any other free utility to burn an ISO to a USB?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

See my edited post. Are you running Rufus from the flash drive or from your desktop? 

Another utility is Unetbootin but I am not sure it will work for Windows iso files. Click the disk image button and browse to the iso file. Press okay. Make sure your flash drive is listed in the dropdown box.

#13 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:27 PM

Thank you again.

I run Rufus from my desktop.  I have also used ImageBurn for both MemTest86 and SeaTools for windows and burned to CD's for my own computer.  They seem not to work with Rufus.

I just downloaded UBCD and put it on the USB, It is in the computer. I will keep you informed.  Since the USB I am using is the only one I have, I will have to wait for UBCD to finish then I will try "Unetbootin" for "MemTest86".

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:37 PM

It's possible the latest version of Rufus is not compatible with your computer. You can download an older version here.

If Unetbootin does not work then try v2.4 of Rufus. The below link is for the portable version.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-2.4p.exe

If you still get a fail try a different flash drive.

Edit: I came across another tool should Unetbootin fail. Don't download the beta version. In the second dropdown box you can select UBCD under System Tools. Then browse to the iso of UBCD. Format it FAT32.

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 March 2017 - 08:03 PM.

#15 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

JohnC_21 I am sorry it will be a while before I can continue.

I am having major problems with my own computer. I am at the BSOD section trying to get some help. I will reply just as soon as I can as I am using some one elses PC right now.

My PC is a ,

Gateway FX6840

Running Windows 10, 64 bit

Edited by cheez, 16 March 2017 - 02:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users