Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD Critical Service Failure with Failed Driver Signature Verification

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sindaine

Sindaine

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

· OS - Windows 10 Pro 1607 (Build 14393.693)
· x64
· What was original installed OS on system?  Windows 7
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? Purchased Myself
· Age of system (hardware) Purchased 9/2012
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?  Fresh install onto a new SSD on Aprox 7/3/2015

· CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
· Video Card - 2x EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop)  - ASUS Maximus V FORMULA/THUNDERFX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop) - XFX ProSeries P1-1250-BEFX 1250W ATX12V V2.2 & ESP12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

· System Manufacturer - Me
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom) - None

· Laptop or Desktop? - Destop

Symptoms - 

Yesterday afternoon I plugged in an android tablet to deploy something I'm working on to it.  I got a driver error.  For some reason I went to check Defender to see if it was causing a problem, and defender said it couldn't initialize.  (Specifically: An error has occurred in the program during initialization. If this problem continues....  Error Code: 0x800b0100)

I thought I must have done something weird so I rebooted the machine and received a stop error CRITICAL SERVICE FAILURE.  I spent about an hour trying to repair it.  I have recently bought and installed a new 3TB HD and had moved some of the sata connections around.  Thinking I messed up the boot sequence some how. 

A few things I tried:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

SFC /ScanNow

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /rebuildbcd  (after backing it up)

Nothing worked.  Finally, on a whim, I disabled driver signature checking, and was able to get into windows.  It's barely running now.   Sigverif shows about 150 of the 300 or so drivers are no longer signed.   Event log entries in Code Integrity say that the following packages weren't readable:

Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-WOW64-Package-AutoMerged-onecore~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.14393.0.cat
Microsoft-Windows-Client-Drivers-drivers-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.14393.0.cat
Microsoft-OneCore-Containers-onecore-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.14393.0.cat
Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-Package-AutoMerged-onecoreuap~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.14393.0.cat
Microsoft-Windows-RemoteFX-HyperV-Integration-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.14393.0.cat
Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-Package-AutoMerged-onecore~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.14393.0.cat
Multimedia-AudioCore-avcore-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.14393.0.cat catalog.
Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-WOW64-Package-AutoMerged-onecoreuap~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.14393.0.cat

There are more, but I stopped copying/pasting them.   Event log also shows this warning has been occurring since 3/8 (The day I installed the new hard drive) Though I've restarted multiple times from 3/8 to yesterday with no issues.

Any ideas?  I'm stumped.

EDIT**
Side note.  I ran a memtest last night for about 12 hours with no issues.  I also checked the boot drive and it's A-OK.

Attached Files

Edited by Sindaine, 13 March 2017 - 01:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:15 PM

The operating system has probably gone kaput. In my opinion, there's really not much we can do, as we're looking at some very serious operating system corruption. I hope you have backed-up all your files.

I'd try running the System File Checker from normal mode and see whether if it helps. Even if it manages to fix some files, there is probably irreparable damage to the registry.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 TenDimensions

TenDimensions

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

First, my system machine the OP's very closely. A Windows 7 machine now upgraded to Windows 10 - running without issue since the release of Win10. I get the same error code and can only get with signature enforcement disabled.

I hardly reboot my machine, usually only when Windows 10 does it for me in the middle of the night during an update. A few days ago an update occurred and I woke up to find my computer on the system recovery screen. I can't say for sure I've tried every single possible combination, but definitely Safe Mode didn't work. The only one I got to work was booting without digital signature enforcement.

Thanks to OP, I ran sigverif and see 137 signed files and 78 unsigned files.

"It's barely running now.   Sigverif shows about 150 of the 300 or so drivers are no longer signed."

@Sindaine - why do you think those drivers are no longer signed as opposed to just drivers that were never signed in the first place? Also, what do you mean by "barely running now"? When I boot my machine without signature enforcement everything seems to work normally.

What I'm particularly nervous about is having a virus I haven't been able to detect that's corrupting a driver file somewhere. At one point I got an "unable to load NVCP.DLL" which I tracked to my Nvidia driver. I updated that, but I'm still having the problem.

For the time being I refuse to believe the entire OS is corrupted and kaput.  :unsure:

If I find anything I'll post it here.

#4 Sindaine

Sindaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

why do you think those drivers are no longer signed as opposed to just drivers that were never signed in the first place?

There are drivers in my list that are core, drivers that are provided with the OS that were showing as unverified. In addition, I was seeing event log entries that said it couldn't read the catalog files necessary to sign the drivers.

Also, what do you mean by "barely running now"? When I boot my machine without signature enforcement everything seems to work normally.

I suppose that definition is subjective. For me, I was unable to open mmc.exe, or half of the control panel apps (like defender) with out a signature verification error. The nvidia control panel wouldn't load (looks like you had the same problem there), and I was also getting directx errors.

What I'm particularly nervous about is having a virus I haven't been able to detect that's corrupting a driver file somewhere.

While that's certainly possible, I find it unlikely, at least in my case. I thoroughly scanned everything and found nothing with multiple virus scanners.

In the end, I simply ended up installing fresh as much as I didn't want to. I got a new SSD and installed windows to it fresh. I then added my old hard drives back one at a time and scanned them individually for hardware errors and viruses, everything came up clean. I did find out that a coworker of mine had a the same problem on his virtual machine of windows 10 he runs from OSX. But he simply restored from a snapshot and was fine. Personally, the only thing I can point to is a failed windows update. It's the only thing I know of that messes with those catalogs.

All I can say is good luck.  I spent about 3 days on it, but the loss of productivity was too much for me.  The only bonus I can say, is even though installing everything fresh is annoying, there is something nice about a shiny new OS install.

#5 Jolly121

Jolly121

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:14 AM

"unable to load NVCP.DLL" which I tracked to my Nvidia driver. I updated that, but I'm still having the problem.

For the time being I refuse to believe the entire OS is corrupted and kaput.  :unsure:

I have had the same issue. I'm still investigating other options, I really don't want a fresh installation, I've put too much time into setting up my dev environment... :(

#6 joerivh

joerivh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

After a few error messages (btTool.exe) my pc got a BSOD and rebooted. The pc was unable to boot and kept throwing a BSOD: CRITICAL SERVICE FAILURE. The only way I could boot Windows was by booting with the option "Disable driver signature enforcement".
I tried a lot of things: memory tests, sfc, bcdedit options, ... . Unfortunately without luck. 

I fixed this issue by doing a repair using a Windows 10 .iso and just doing an installation of Windows overriding the current version with keeping files and apps. This repair took two hours and the system is working and booting fine now. I hope a repair with keeping files and apps helps for you guys. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users