Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition Image Backup Software With Boot Information??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PK88

PK88

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

I have a disk with two partitions.  The first partition has the OS protected with Shadow Defender while the second is for all my data files only.   I back up the data on the second partition with Syncback but the first partition I would like to back up using disk imaging software.  I have tried Clonezilla but although you can backup just one partition, it appears that you cannot save the boot record unless you back up the whole disk.   Does anyone have experience with a free disk imaging program that will back up just the first partition that includes the boot information?  I do not need a lot of bells and whistles.  Ideally it would be a self booting CD/DVD or ‘USB flash drive  that will create a restorable image of the first partition with the boot information on a USB hard drive –  no more, no less.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:19 AM

Macrium Free can do it. Simple check which partitions you wish to backup. It will create bootable media and include USB 3 drivers if you have them for faster backup and restore.

Easeus Todo Backup free has something called System Backup which will backup the System Partition but I don't know if it also backs up the Bootable partition. I have not used this software. According to this support article it does.

Edit: I believe V3.5 of Aomei also has System Backup but this was removed in V4. You can still download V3.5 here. V4 also has System Backup.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 March 2017 - 12:42 PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:52 AM

One can rarely find software that will only clone a partition; as another poster indicated, using Macrium Reflect or anything similar, one can make a full image of each partition or make a full image of a collection of partitions -- user choice.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 PK88

PK88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

Macrium Free can do it. Simple check which partitions you wish to backup. It will create bootable media and include USB 3 drivers if you have them for faster backup and restore.

Easeus Todo Backup free has something called System Backup which will backup the System Partition but I don't know if it also backs up the Bootable partition. I have not used this software. According to this support article it does.

Edit: I believe V3.5 of Aomei also has System Backup but this was removed in V4. You can still download V3.5 here. V4 also has System Backup.

We have a winner.  I have looked at all three of the applications you suggested over the past several days doing backups and restores to a different drives and my least favorite was EaseUS.  It took much longer to do a restore than the others and I just didn’t care for the user interface.  A personal choice only.

Macrium worked well and was OK but in one of my tests when I tried restoring to a different size partition it wouldn’t boot after the restore.  The accompanying utility for fixing boot problems did however work well to fix the problem and I plan to keep the Macrium CD around just to have that utility handy.  It still would have been my first choice over EaseUS.

My first choice is AOMEI.  I found the UI was great, it worked well going to both bigger and smaller partitions and the resulting restored partition always booted.   To top it off, you can even retrieve individual files from the image.   My only complaint is that the restores that I did during testing seemed to be very slow compared to the backup times but that may have had more to do with the fact I was using a USB GoFlex drive for backups.   I did not try it using a second internal drive.  In any case, it should not be an issue as hopefully I will be doing a lot more backups than restores. :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply and your suggestions.  It is much appreciated.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

No problem, glad to have helped. I have used Aomei Backupper Standard Free for basic disk backups. From what I understand the paid version has faster backups and restores but I can't verify it. See the comparison chart.

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

#6 PK88

PK88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

No problem, glad to have helped. I have used Aomei Backupper Standard Free for basic disk backups. From what I understand the paid version has faster backups and restores but I can't verify it. See the comparison chart.

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

Thanks.  I will give that a look

By the way, I have since tried a backup to an internal drive (SSD to HDD) and it was very fast - 100+MB/sec.   When I think that the first PCs I had to support were two labs worth of Sperry HTs with 20MB total HD space, it just boggles the mind.    At 100 MB/sec, 20 MB is two tenths of a second. That was almost 30 years ago but I still find it amazing.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, I remember a colleague I worked with that purchased an IBM PC with a green screen, floppy drive, and a 5MB hard drive with database software for $5000. I also paid $90 for 10 100MB zip disks. Now I can get a 32GB flash drive for $10 that is the equivalent of 320 zip disks or about 22000 3.5 floppies. The advancements just boggle the mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users