Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need camera advice!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ram-girl

Ram-girl

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:43 AM

So I am in the market for a new camera. I want something small and compact and I have my eyes set on the following two:

Canon PowerShot G7 X & Canon PowerShot S110 12MP.

Which of the two would you pick/choose and why? The camera will be used for both picture and video.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

If I had to choose one of these I would go for the G7 because of its tilting viewscreen. Another reason would be the On/Off switch on the S110. To quote a review

The button is tiny, the same color as the camera, awkwardly placed, and essentially flush with the camera’s top deck making it almost impossible to turn the camera either on or off easily.

I have a preference for on/off buttons (and safety catches) that come readily to hand and are easy to work. Against the G7 is that it does appear to be quite a bit bulkier than the S110, if that is a concern, and it is quite a bit more expensive.

At the end of the day it is how the camera comes to your hand and whether or not you 'fit' together, as well as its optical qualities. I cannot offer an opinion on the video, although both seem quite capable, because I almost never shoot video.

From a personal point of view I would not choose either of these because of the lack of an optical viewfinder but I have to admit that pocketable cameras with optical viewfinders are becoming very thin on the ground.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Ram-girl

Ram-girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:25 AM

So I found this "review" - http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/canon/s110/vs/canon/g7x/ - do anyone own one of the cameras and can tell firsthand?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users