Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making the forum better

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Natasha4rawlings

Natasha4rawlings

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:43 AM

Hi, I'm Natasha,the forum so far has offered up solutions to most of the ict problems common to our computers... But not everything is entirely solved... How can we take this to a next level to incorporate various users virtually and experience a better and smoother operation.

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2017 - 06:28 AM.
Moved from Introductions to Announcement, Comments - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

Well, the Members on BC can only attempt to answer the questions they are asked and it is true that not all the problems raised come to a satisfactory conclusion. Partly this is due to people not describing their problem or their equipment adequately and partly this is due to the fact that the people who may be responding to a problem may not be fully aware of the solution. We are after all all volunteers and enthusiasts.

It is also a fact that not all problems are open to written solutions, sometimes actual hands-on analysis and testing works better and that is something a forum like BC cannot provide.

However if you can come up with suggestions to actually improve the experience the staff will certainly be willing to listen.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 13 March 2017 - 08:10 PM.

#3 Natasha4rawlings

Natasha4rawlings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:46 AM

Solutions could come through the ideal description of the problem... However, I think it would be great to have an option open for photos or videos.... Or even conference calls... It will certainly take the forum to reach new heights

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,596 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

In many - not all - sections of BC you are allowed to post images such as screenshots and you can provide links to externally stored pictures and videos - such as on DropBox and elsewhere - in any section of the forum.

Conference calls and other forms of remote assistance are not allowed, as per the forum rules all help and advice must be given on open forum pages or on the chat room. However if you prefer a more nearly direct means of communication than the the forum pages there is the IRC chat channel -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/chat/

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

With regard to videos, some of us view the forum from work where there may be a "quiet office" policy in force as music and noise from videos can be annoying to colleagues.

Therefore, videos should either be silent or not used.

The other problem with videos is that you can't Control-F search for bits at a later date - you end up fiddling with the slider to find the correct point and this wastes more time than it saves.

The idea of a forum is that anyone who has a clue can answer (with the exception of malware removal where special training is required to respond) and we all learn.

As for describing the problem, I'd say that one problem is that people often don't understand their own problems.  Even IT people.  I work in technical support, and if I had £1 for every time I had to deal with a call that was logged by way of a screenshot that consists of nothing more than an error message "Error 80078005 unspecified error" and the wording, "What does this mean?" I'd be able to give up work and be sunning myself in the Bahamas by now.

The immediate answer is, "I haven't got a clue.  What were you doing at the time?  Has it ever worked?  What changes did you make just before it started happening?  What is the surrounding context?"  And so on.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,596 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

Solutions could come through the ideal description of the problem

That would be nice, just not possible. But what is possible - and all too many people ignore- is to give details of your equipment such as make  and model and OS type. This is really useful information. Plus, as Angoid said, a description of what you were doing and what has happened.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Location:This tiny speck in the universe somewhere in the middle of time.
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:53 PM

Image-photo-jpg resize so when they are page size one can make them quarter size on the fly.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn

......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P

#8 Threesom666

Threesom666

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Location:I'm a fifty-terabyte, self-evolving neural network, double back-flip off the high platform. I'm not a swan dive. And I have to tell you, killing for real; it was a real rush.
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:43 AM

Solutions could come through the ideal description of the problem

That would be nice, just not possible. But what is possible - and all too many people ignore- is to give details of your equipment such as make  and model and OS type. This is really useful information. Plus, as Angoid said, a description of what you were doing and what has happened.

Chris Cosgrove

I agree. Giving specifics can greatly help the solutioner solve the problem.

I am made of everything! I am the future! And you...

you're losing your sense of humor!

Real_Gun_Mother_bleeper.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users