Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lockscreen/Windows Apps won't load

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 barsicks

barsicks

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

So I've recently gotten a bug where I'd get a blank screen after my computer boots up. Apparently it was just my lock screen not loading, but I managed to bypass it by entering my password as usual. I was able to get into my computer, except my desktop icons wouldn't load. The taskbar did load. Nothing that's preinstalled would open (Microsoft Edge, Task Manager, etc.) but other programs do (Chrome, Firefox, etc.). Programs like Task Manager and Edge open, but they don't appear. Like they're on the taskbar, but clicking on them does nothing. Like they're invisible. Is there a solution to this? I thought it might be explorer.exe not working, but I can't open Task Manager to find out. The only possible solutions I've seen so far are formatting my hard drive or reinstalling windows, but doing so is something I want to avoid as best as possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:26 AM

Do you have a wireless mouse &/or keyboard connected? These especially if they're Logitech have been reported to cause a black/blank screen with just a rotating dot circle at startup. To remedy turn off the pc, remove the USB adapter for the mouse/keyboard & start pc, it should continue as normal.
Are you logged into your account or have you been logged into a temporary profile? Do you have MalwareBytes 3.0x installed? This version is known to cause profile corruption where you're logged into a temporary profile, turning on 'delay protection at startup' & setting it to 60 seconds is a workaround.

Edited by Goddess_Bastet, 13 March 2017 - 06:27 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:24 PM

Can you open Settings from the Start Menu?

If you can please do the following.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.

1. Open the Start Menu and click/tap of Settings.

When Settings opens select Update & Security

Settings%20w10_zpshotznunu.png

2. Click/tap on Recovery, then Get Started.

settings%20w10-2_zpslwcrdejs.png

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

Settings%20w%2010-3_zpsjcoecsv4.png

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

If you have recently installed this operating system you will receive the message below.

Setting%20w10-4_zps9ejgxhyo.png

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 barsicks

barsicks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

Can you open Settings from the Start Menu?

If you can please do the following.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.

1. Open the Start Menu and click/tap of Settings.

When Settings opens select Update & Security

Settings%20w10_zpshotznunu.png

2. Click/tap on Recovery, then Get Started.

settings%20w10-2_zpslwcrdejs.png

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

Settings%20w%2010-3_zpsjcoecsv4.png

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

If you have recently installed this operating system you will receive the message below.

Setting%20w10-4_zps9ejgxhyo.png

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

I can't open Settings. Nothing pre-installed will work. It just appears in the taskbar, but won't open when I click on it.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:45 AM

Let's see if the computer operates properly in Safe Mode.

Press the power button to start the computer.  When Windows begins to boot press and hold the power button until the computer turns off.  Continue to do this until you see a page like the one below.

force%20safe%20mode1_zpss0tse82d.png

You will receive a message stating Unable to reapair your computer.  You will see page like the one below.

force%20safe%20mode2_zpsiyokfgfm.png

Click/tap on Advanced options, then Start-up settings, then Restart.  You will see a page like the one below.

force%20safe%20mode3_zpsg6as1za9.png

Press the F4 key.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 barsicks

barsicks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

Let's see if the computer operates properly in Safe Mode.

Press the power button to start the computer.  When Windows begins to boot press and hold the power button until the computer turns off.  Continue to do this until you see a page like the one below.

force%20safe%20mode1_zpss0tse82d.png

You will receive a message stating Unable to reapair your computer.  You will see page like the one below.

force%20safe%20mode2_zpsiyokfgfm.png

Click/tap on Advanced options, then Start-up settings, then Restart.  You will see a page like the one below.

force%20safe%20mode3_zpsg6as1za9.png

Press the F4 key.

I didn't get a message that said my PC couldn't be repaired, but rather I should restart it. I went into advanced options, and it took a little more searching, but I was able to enter safe mode. My computer worked fine in safe mode, which was nice. I couldn't access the Internet, but I don't know if that's just a safe mode thing.

However, when I went back into normal mode to update you, nothing would open. No chrome, no nothing. My computer is close to just a paperweight and I fear the inevitable doom of files on this computer I was really hoping to keep.

Edit: I've just realized through the searching to find safe mode, there was an option to reset my pc. I did so and my computers working good now. I just have to install all my old programs and whatnot. Thank you so much for your help. I'm assuming it was a virus, Norton apparently failed me.

Edited by barsicks, 14 March 2017 - 07:25 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

You couldn't get online because you would have needed to choose Safe Mode with Networking.

The fact that the applications worked in Safe Mode suggests that there is either a driver or an application causing this problem.  A Clean Boot may find the culprit.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

(1)  Click/tap on the General tab.   

(2)  Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

msconfig_zpsuoxvomjq.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean%20boot%203_zpsyvcjopso.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean%20boot%202_zpsekds879g.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

Let me know if the problem persists after restarting the computer.

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Devide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart
the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining
services.

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11.  In the half that the problem came back in you should remove the checks from the first half or the
services.

12.  Restart the computer.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the
services.

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till
you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.  Do not take any action until I suggest the next step.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users