Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Display Port Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

I have an older Dell Vostro 420 with a Dell/ AMD Radeon HD6450 video card. The video card has two outputs, a DVI-I port and a Display Port. 

Recently I replaced the original 19-inch monitor with a new 24-inch. The new monitor has a HDMI input. 

Can I use a simple Display Port to HDMI cable or is some kind of adapter necessary?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,616 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:34 PM

You can get a DVI to HDMI video cable.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:49 PM

You can use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable if the DP output on the graphics card is Dual Mode capable (which I suspect it probably is).  DisplayPort in it's native mode is completely different to HDMI (and incompatible without active conversion). However Dual Mode capable ports can output a HDMI or DVI compatible signal.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

You can use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable if the DP output on the graphics card is Dual Mode capable (which I suspect it probably is).  DisplayPort in it's native mode is completely different to HDMI (and incompatible without active conversion). However Dual Mode capable ports can output a HDMI or DVI compatible signal.

Thank you for your response, Is there a way to tell if it is dual mode capable? 

When I got the Dell/ AMD Radeon HD6450 it did come with a Display Port to DVI-D adapter. Anyway, I'll do a little research and see what I can find. Thanks

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

If it came with a DP to DVI-D adapter, that strongly suggests it's a dual mode output capable.

In theory DP dual mode outputs should have a logo containing two + symbols next to it like this..

Attached File  DP-Compliance-Dual-Mode-Logo-Orange-150x150.jpg   3.16KB   0 downloads

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users