Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going to be building a desktop. Woo!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mike5050

Mike5050

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

Hey people, going to be building a desktop soon and need a little bit more help. Been reading some forums and I understand some stuff but not the finer details lol. So I know I can find a list of thing but need specifics and opinions from other people. Im looking to build a desktop and want excellent specs but not top dollar, but don't want to go cheap for one part and it affect overall efficiency.

So I was thinking i7 or i5 core.

Motherboard im assuming intel would be best

fans curious how many people use or found best

Case was thinking biggest one I can get so I have room and can upgrade or add

video graphics card I want a more high end one so NVidia?

was going to do both hard drive and the other one ssd I believe lol

power don't understand minimum and can it be to much power (power supply)

I want wireless internet as well as Ethernet cable. also Bluetooth if I can hook it up internal.

obviously enough ports/usb

I want to be able to use 2-3 monitors if possible

idk what to get for disk reader/ ddv or whatever lol

ram I want I believe16 or 32

overall I want to build a desktop with a big case, nice software/hardware, correct fan/power, a motherboard/video graphics/etc. to work together and fit nice in the case, internet wired/wireless, Bluetooth. enough ports usb/hdmi/etc. Once again overall I want a desktop that can play any emulator or game current and hopefully any to come out with no issue. also typical things that you would do everyday. 

Thanks to anyone's opinions and time appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

What budget do you have and could you give a definitive list of what you want to do/play with the System (e.g. If you're gaming, what games do you want to play).

#EDIIT: What is your monitors resolution?

Edited by Planemaster2, 12 March 2017 - 02:40 PM.

#3 Mike5050

Mike5050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

I'm not worried about budget because obviously it will be a pretty penny lol. Games wise if it can run Skyrim,cod,RPGs,MMO,fps. I want it to run these excellent. If not better so I can run future games. I know I will have to upgrade eventually, as stuff is outdated when put on shelf lol. I have a 32 flat screen n a smaller one too. Was thinking of buying a new one. Also any way to take a touchscreen laptop and make it into a screen?

Thanks again

#4 Mike5050

Mike5050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

Also would love to be able to run two screens at once and be able to do two things separate as it runs. I mean like game on one, maybe internet or or a program on other screen for example

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

Budget is?

2-3 monitors are what size and resolution?

Planning to use all monitors for gaming simultaneously or playing on one screen and other two are just for 2D purposes?

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

Hey people, going to be building a desktop soon and need a little bit more help. Been reading some forums and I understand some stuff but not the finer details lol. So I know I can find a list of thing but need specifics and opinions from other people. Im looking to build a desktop and want excellent specs but not top dollar, but don't want to go cheap for one part and it affect overall efficiency.

So I was thinking i7 or i5 core.

Probably the best all round gaming CPU is the i7-7700K. The i5-7600K is a good alternative at a lower cost.  Some will say "wait for the Ryzen 5".  Up to you but Ryzen's so far have not matched Intel on gaming systems.  They look excellent choices for workstations though.

Motherboard im assuming intel would be best

Intel don't make 'em any more.  Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI current market leaders. You'd ideally get one with a Z270 chipset for the above mentioned processor.

fans curious how many people use or found best

Depends. Unless you are going for an extreme overclocking system a well designed case with good airflow and 2-3 low RPM 120mm/140mm fans is more than enough, IMO.

Case was thinking biggest one I can get so I have room and can upgrade or add

Again personal choice. You probably don't need a massive full tower case.

video graphics card I want a more high end one so NVidia?

High end currently Nvidia GTX1070 and GTX1080 or even GTX1080 Ti (@ $700) seem to be the choice. AMD RX470, RX480 and GTX1060 solid "upper mid range" cards.

was going to do both hard drive and the other one ssd I believe lol

Makes sense as allows you to use the cheaper, slower HDD for mass storage, keeping your SSD for things that benefit more from the speed, like the operating system and programs.  The newest PCIe or M.2 NVMe SSD's offer the best performance.

power don't understand minimum and can it be to much power (power supply)

Can't really be too much. There are online calculators that will work out an approximate power draw for a system. Look for more efficient power supplies (from 80+ Bronze at the basic level to 80+ Platinum and Titanium at the high end).  At this level system, do not skimp on the power supply.  

I want wireless internet as well as Ethernet cable. also Bluetooth if I can hook it up internal.

Doable. There are numerous cheap-ish PCIe WiFi cards on the market which include Bluetooth.  Wifi 802.11 ac is the current standard to go for.

obviously enough ports/usb

The more feature rich motherboards tend to have more USB ports and headers (for attaching to front panel ports on cases etc) than most people can actually use.  USB-C is an emerging standard likely to be very important in the near future.

I want to be able to use 2-3 monitors if possible

Any common graphics card can support multiple monitors these days. 

idk what to get for disk reader/ ddv or whatever lol

Pass

ram I want I believe16 or 32

16 is a good level for the moment

overall I want to build a desktop with a big case, nice software/hardware, correct fan/power, a motherboard/video graphics/etc. to work together and fit nice in the case, internet wired/wireless, Bluetooth. enough ports usb/hdmi/etc. Once again overall I want a desktop that can play any emulator or game current and hopefully any to come out with no issue. also typical things that you would do everyday. 

Thanks to anyone's opinions and time appreciate it.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

Also would love to be able to run two screens at once and be able to do two things separate as it runs. I mean like game on one, maybe internet or or a program on other screen for example

Samsung 32” WQHD LED Monitor (S32D850T)

Seamless Multi Screen Functionality. Split-Screen and Picture-in-Picture Viewing for Multi-Screen Functionality​ 

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-WQHD-LED-Monitor-S32D850T/dp/B00L3KNOF4

#8 Mike5050

Mike5050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:57 AM

Thanks guys. Thanks jonuk for that break down helped alot. I like that monitor someone suggested but don't want to spend 400 a piece on monitors maybe I'll get one and use my TV as other screen. I'm still looking into everything. Any other opinions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks gin guys appreciate all the help!

#9 Mike5050

Mike5050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

Also tower wise, is the room to make a wrong choice in size? I know u mentioned I don't need a full tower but I would like to have room to work in it also if I need to add anything. Also when talking about towers can u get a tower that won't fit ur components in it?

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:20 PM

Also tower wise, is the room to make a wrong choice in size? I know u mentioned I don't need a full tower but I would like to have room to work in it also if I need to add anything. Also when talking about towers can u get a tower that won't fit ur components in it?

If you have a preference for full tower cases then by all means go for one.  There's no disadvantage (apart from them being big and heavy) and yes they have more room.  The number of systems that *need* full towers are rare (ones using large sized motherboard form factors like E-ATX or SSI EEB).  Also systems with elaborate custom water cooling.  The only other component really that can present a problem is very long GPU's.  However good case designers are aware of the issue and most gaming orientated mid towers these days can accommodate any graphics card you are likely to see, and many can also take fairly decent water cooling setups.  But it's your preference that matters here, not anyone else's :)

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 Mike5050

Mike5050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

True. Is there such thing as having to much space? Lol also in specs what does ddr3,ddr4,ddr5, mean curious

#12 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:05 PM

True. Is there such thing as having to much space? Lol also in specs what does ddr3,ddr4,ddr5, mean curious

Double Data Rate Type 3 or  (DDR3 or DDR4 ) As DDR5 means double data rate fifth-generation 

If your motherboard memory slots have DDR4, then using DDR3 can't be done because it is incompatible motherboard's memory.

#13 Mike5050

Mike5050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:21 PM

Ah I see. See that's the small things I don't know that are important

#14 Mike5050

Mike5050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:54 PM

Motherboard
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01NGTYV2Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1489548270&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=motherboard&dpPl=1&dpID=51RFHtfG5zL&ref=plSrch

This a good vgc

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IPVSGEC/ref=psdcmw_284822_t1_B01MF7EQJZ

Tower
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008O2HOI2/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1489549767&sr=8-13&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=full+tower

That's all I've had time for to look up. Just things that have caught my eye I'm curious about.

Thanks again people for everything

#15 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

Also any way to take a touchscreen laptop and make it into a screen? 

http://spacedesk.ph/download

Download the server drivers onto your desktop and the client onto your laptop. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users