Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 x64 Network card?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 perrybucsdad

perrybucsdad

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

Does anyone have any network cards that they could recommend that are supported in Win 10 x64?  My on board one seems to be giving me fits (multiple BSOD's since January update for Windows).  I purchased the Intel Pro 1000 GT, but five minutes after I installed i had a BSOD.  Booted up again this morning and did the same thing.  Looking for something that has drivers specifically for Win 10.  I can't seem to find any that have drivers online that are for win 10, but I am sure there are some.  Any help would be appreciated so I can get something to stabilize my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 perrybucsdad

perrybucsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:41 AM

Nobody has a network card in their PC?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

I think very few manufacturers are supplying WIndows 10 drivers for things like LAN and Wifi cards because Microsoft itself is developing the drivers. If you can find a LAN card with a Realtek chipset Realtek provides Windows 10 drivers through there site for the following chipsets. These are for PCIe. The RTL8168E is a common chipset.

RTL8111B/RTL8168B/RTL8111/RTL8168
RTL8111C/RTL8111CP/RTL8111D(L)
RTL8168C/RTL8111DP/RTL8111E
RTL8168E/RTL8111F/RTL8411
RTL8111G/RTL8111GUS/RTL8411B(N)
RTL8118AS

I am pretty sure your problem for the onboard LAN is Windows 10 related. There may be an updated driver. Right click the LAN device in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Post the first line. There should be some errors in Event Viewer that will give a clue. What is the stop code if any when the computer throws a blue screen?

#4 perrybucsdad

perrybucsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:30 PM

John... I am certain it is a W10 issue.  I have been going round and round in the W10 Crash section of this forum with a extremely helpful person, but I have not found a resolution just yet.

I'll look into the Realtek chipset and see if I can find something that works.  I would have thought for certain the Intel card would work just fine, but it was worse than the on-board card.  The problem with the On-Board card is the MB is quite old (2007) and no drivers have been supplied for a number of years by NVIDIA.  I did get to their legacy site and get one of their later driver sets and it works okay, but I do still get an occasional BSOD.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:12 PM

This is one of the reasons I refuse to install Windows 10. I have seen too many problems with Wifi and LAN using Windows 10 and every time Windows 10 has a major upgrade more connection issues pop up.  Another major upgrade is scheduled for this year called Creators update. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users