Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compare Two Files to Verify that they are Identical

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pershore

Pershore

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:32 AM

Hi All,

I'd like to how, in Windows Pro 64bit, to compare two files to verify that they are identical.

Perhaps someone could explain, or direct my reading appropriately please ?

I do not want to automatically remove one if they are, I can do that manually.

They are two iso s, 3.3GB, and they took 3hrs to download.  They are the same number of bytes.  I burned one iso to DVD, and although it looked ok, the DVD did not work as expected. It was suggested that I repeat the procedure, and try again, as the first iso might be corrupted.  So a few days later I repeated the download. (Hence the two files).  Before needlessly using another DVD, I thought I'd compare the two iso's for 'identicality' - hence this topic.

Of course this does rule out the possibility of error introduced in burning the DVD

Pershore

12.March.2017

HP Pavilion dm4-1064nr, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

Let's try to rule out that error before pursuing another direction.

Please tell us exactly what steps you took in your attempt to burn an .iso file to DVD.

Also post any error message received during your efforts to burn or use the download...exact wording, please.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 March 2017 - 09:52 AM.

#3 Pershore

Pershore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

Thanks Louis,

I'm a bit vague over what I did what happened, actually, because it was a few days and I've got other problems that I've been working on (involved using CDburnerXP).  Sorry.

I used the DVD burner that's part of W7.

I tried using this program in two ways.  One, to open the program, and copy and paste the iso file into the area for files to be burned, and two r-click on the file and choose the burn option.

For the second way,I had first to 'associate' (or whatever the word is) the program with the file type, so that when I right-clicked on the file I got correct option in drop down box (this was not the default for some reason).  Then the burning process started and everything seemed normal (see below).  I chose the slowest integer speed available from the drop-down list, chose verify, do not eject (but it did; I read that this was 'normal' for laptops).  [I always chose these options in what follows as well].  The file 'desktop.ini' always appeared in the files-to-be-burned area of the burn program screen, and I always removed it from that area.

method one, which I tried first,It seemed to go well.  Then I looked at the disk I had burned in File Manager/Windows Explorer or whatever it's called, and there did not appear to be anything there.  Also checked in disk properties.  I repeated the burn process with the same result.

Now I tried method two - right-clicked on the file and selected the burning option from the drop down menu.  This lead me to what was essentially the same process with the same result.

Above I was using a DVD-R disk, that remains seemingly empty.

Then I switched to a DVD RW disk  (Samsung - something like Plector, out of production). and after a couple of attempts, I apparently succeeded in burning the iso to the disk.  The results of the two attempts were: one, as already described above, and two I can't remember, but maybe it seemed to have copied the iso file to the DVD. it was fortunate it was RW DVD so I was able to finally burn the iso to disk.

Then (and now) I have the 'burned' DVD. It has four files (including setup.exe) and five folders. It is an OEM installation disk (for a HP Pavilion dm4-1050ea but not, I believe, specifically for that model), which fails to boot into windows 7, with the message on the screen saying "1. Insert your original installation disk....."  (white test on a black screen background).  So I made this disk, and after I inserted it, it just restarts and returns to that error screen.  I even tried changing the boot order to 'DVD first' in the BIOA editor, and using the on-screen one-off way (you don't need to enter the editor, just choose option change boot device or what ever it's called (as usual, I can't remember the detail, sorry).  I can give you the full SP on that problem, but for the moment I just want to check that the download is ok.

Pershore

12.March.2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users