I'm a bit vague over what I did what happened, actually, because it was a few days and I've got other problems that I've been working on (involved using CDburnerXP). Sorry.
I used the DVD burner that's part of W7.
I tried using this program in two ways. One, to open the program, and copy and paste the iso file into the area for files to be burned, and two r-click on the file and choose the burn option.
For the second way,I had first to 'associate' (or whatever the word is) the program with the file type, so that when I right-clicked on the file I got correct option in drop down box (this was not the default for some reason). Then the burning process started and everything seemed normal (see below). I chose the slowest integer speed available from the drop-down list, chose verify, do not eject (but it did; I read that this was 'normal' for laptops). [I always chose these options in what follows as well]. The file 'desktop.ini' always appeared in the files-to-be-burned area of the burn program screen, and I always removed it from that area.
method one, which I tried first,It seemed to go well. Then I looked at the disk I had burned in File Manager/Windows Explorer or whatever it's called, and there did not appear to be anything there. Also checked in disk properties. I repeated the burn process with the same result.
Now I tried method two - right-clicked on the file and selected the burning option from the drop down menu. This lead me to what was essentially the same process with the same result.
Above I was using a DVD-R disk, that remains seemingly empty.
Then I switched to a DVD RW disk (Samsung - something like Plector, out of production). and after a couple of attempts, I apparently succeeded in burning the iso to the disk. The results of the two attempts were: one, as already described above, and two I can't remember, but maybe it seemed to have copied the iso file to the DVD. it was fortunate it was RW DVD so I was able to finally burn the iso to disk.
Then (and now) I have the 'burned' DVD. It has four files (including setup.exe) and five folders. It is an OEM installation disk (for a HP Pavilion dm4-1050ea but not, I believe, specifically for that model), which fails to boot into windows 7, with the message on the screen saying "1. Insert your original installation disk....." (white test on a black screen background). So I made this disk, and after I inserted it, it just restarts and returns to that error screen. I even tried changing the boot order to 'DVD first' in the BIOA editor, and using the on-screen one-off way (you don't need to enter the editor, just choose option change boot device or what ever it's called (as usual, I can't remember the detail, sorry). I can give you the full SP on that problem, but for the moment I just want to check that the download is ok.