to the Bleeping Computer Am I Infected? - What Do I Do? Forum. My name is Phil . May I address you by your first name?
It could possibly be malware, but it could be a number of other issues that are impacting the performance of your computer. I think that we should run a few preliminary security scans on your computer and see what turns up.
ESET Online Scanner using Internet Explorer:
Note 1: These instructions are for Internet Explorer only! If you're using Chrome or Firefox, you will need to download and install the ESET Smart Installer tool before it can scan. See instructions here.
Note 2: You will need to disable your currently installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be found here.
*Click this link to open ESET OnlineScan.
* When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
* In the new window that opens, tic the radio button next to Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
* Then click "Advanced settings", and make sure there is a checkmark next to only the following items (uncheck everything else):
- Remove found threats
- Scan archives
- Scan for potentially unsafe applications
- Enable Anti-Stealth technology
*Then click the button and ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
*When the scan completes, click List Found Threats (only if anything is found).
*Then click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Copy and paste the contents of this report in your next reply.
*Click , then click to exit ESET Online Scanner.
Don't forget to re-enable your antivirus when finished!
Please run a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan for me.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your Desktop.
- Double-click mb3-setup-1878.1878-18.104.22.1682.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- Then click Finish.
- Next, please go to "Settings", "Protection", and turn on "Scan for rootkits", if it is not "On."
- Once the program has fully updated, select Scan Now on the Dashboard. Or select the Threat Scan from the Scan menu.
- If an update of the definitions is available, it will be downloaded and installed before the scan commences.
- When the scan is complete, make sure that all Threats are selected, and click Remove Selected.
- Restart your computer when prompted to do so.
The Scan log is available through History ->Application logs. Please copy and paste the contents of the log into your next reply.
If I haven't responded to your reply in 48 hours, please send me a personal message.
Thank you and have a great day.