Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how can I disconnect from the nework at will?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AndyH-bc

AndyH-bc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:35 AM

The setup is an AT&T broadband connection with a modem-router that provides both phone and internet. Also, I presume, a LAN since there are four ethernet outputs from the device and WiFi is also available.

I know I can crawl around back and pull the ethernet cable but that isn't very convenient and might lead to malfunction of the cable plug or the ethernet port from over use. I want to be able to not be connected most of the time but (hopefully) have something as easy as closing a switch when I need to get online.

Needing to provide a password, as though using a dial-up modem, any time I want to connect is quite acceptable as long as my computer is truly not accessible to the network once I sign off. If this can be done purely with software, that might be ok if very reliable (very hard to hack).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 huntu

huntu

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:43 AM

Assuming you are talking about connection via ethernet cable, I know of something you can do that involves the clicking of a couple buttons.

1) Go to Device Manager

2) Open the Network Adapters Tab

3) Right click on the component you want to temporarily disable (most likely has ethernet in it)

4) Click Disable and Yes

This should work for temporarily turning off your Ethernet.

Edited by huntu, 12 March 2017 - 02:43 AM.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:20 AM

If you are asking for WiFi, on Windows 8 and 10 you can easily switch WiFi on and off, and also all wireless connections with Flight Mode.

It's possible for older versions of Windows too.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 12 March 2017 - 04:24 AM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

Personaly, if its just the WiFi you want to disconnect then i wrote a small batch file that will do it for you.

paste this in to notepad and save as WiFiConnector.bat

Then right click and run as admin to either Y for Yes=Disconnect or N for No to Renew IP.

@echo off
title WiFi Connector-Disconnector
choice /c yn /m "Would you like to disconnect the WiFi?: "
if %errorlevel% equ 1 ipconfig /release && goto end
if %errorlevel% equ 2 ipconfig /renew
:end
exit

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 12 March 2017 - 10:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users