Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New HD - wanting to install zorrin o.s.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Old_Feller

Old_Feller

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:12 AM

I've downloaded zorrin o.s..and saved it to a thumb drive. I removed the old HD, (which was bad), and installed a new HD,

Dell GX 280, BIOS version A04 (02-09-05).

Service Tag 1TVKB71.  

Express Ser. Code 3983317165

Boot Sequence

1. USB Device  

2. Onboard or USB CD ROM Drive  

3. Onboard or USB Floppy Drive  

4. Onboard SATA Hard Drive

I started the computer and the o.s. did not proceed to load. I get a message; "No boot device available".

What do I need to do? I have no experience with any of the open-source operating systems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:30 AM

Hi and welcome

How did you burn the ISO to usb

If you want to install Zorin may I suggest you read this first, Everything you need to install Zorin is in that post.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/638894/installing-zorin-os-12-core-64-bit/

If you have any questions please feel free to ask here.

Regards

Nick

Edited by NickAu, 12 March 2017 - 12:31 AM.

#3 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:35 AM

Thank you for the reply. 

Boot Sequence

1. USB Device  

2. Onboard or USB CD ROM Drive  

3. Onboard or USB Floppy Drive  

4. Onboard SATA Hard Drive

That would be the correct boot sequence, right?

I will read through the link you provided and let you know if I have further questions.

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:47 AM

Hi Old_Feller

Yes the boot sequence is right but if you have merely "saved" the .iso to usb, that will not work, hence the message. You have to "burn" it to usb. Then boot from that burned stick.

Follow the link Nick provided you, it contains links to get tools to use.

I have Zorin OS 12 on board, and can help with questions in a new Topic after install, but I suspect you are attempting to dualboot with Windows, is that so?

:wizardball: Wizard

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:00 AM

Yes the boot sequence is right but if you have merely "saved" the .iso to usb, that will not work, hence the message. You have to "burn" it to usb. Then boot from that burned stick.

Agreed. Wiz is right.

ISO files have to be 'burnt' to a CD/DVD or USB stick. An ISO file is typically locked, and 'read-only'. What the burning process does is to 'unpack' and arrange items into the correct sequence for the entire thing to be able to boot as an operating system.

The thread Nick linked you to will help enormously.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users