Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Color laser printer with 30-page manual feed tray?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:47 PM

I am looking for a really good color laser printer to replace my aging HP LaserJet 5000N printer. One of the features I love most about it is the manual feed tray. There is a horizontal door on the front of the printer that opens out into a paper tray complete with adjustable paper guides. It opens to a 45° angle so the paper feeds by gravity eliminating the need for a rear paper stop. Here's a photo:

Attached File  HP 5000N Manual Feed Tray 05.jpg   220.05KB   0 downloads

This is very handy. If I need to print a few pages on blue paper, as in the photo, I don't have to unload a tray and reload later. It also works great for envelopes and special forms like labels. This tray is far better than a manual feed slot that can only take 1 page at a time. This tray can handle 30-40 pages.

Can anyone recommend a color printer with a manual feed tray like this?

Ideally it would also be wireless.

I'd be happy with a multi-function device with a really good scanner or just a plain printer.

Cost is not a major consideration. I can go at least up to $800 or so.

Thanks for any help.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

For $800 any of the HP LaserJet Pro line should do what you want.  I've got an HP LaserJet Pro 400 M475dn MFP myself.  The current comparable would be the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn at about half your budget.  While this printer isn't wireless you can print wirelessly to it.  It also has a feature where you can e-mail print jobs to it.

Here are the HP Color LaserJet Pro printer only options.  The two trays are the same two trays you're used to having, one actual paper tray and flip down manual feed tray.

You don't mention how much you print.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:31 PM

Models I Would Investigate

Louis

#4 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:37 PM

For $800 any of the HP LaserJet Pro line should do what you want.  I've got an HP LaserJet Pro 400 M475dn MFP myself.

How do you like it? Any complaints?

The current comparable would be the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn at about half your budget.

That looks good. Thanks

While this printer isn't wireless you can print wirelessly to it.

What does that mean? I read that in several reviews? What's the difference between being wireless and being able to print to it wirelessly?

It also has a feature where you can e-mail print jobs to it.

It has an email address? At what domain? I wonder if that domain is secure. Some of my print jobs are confidential.

Here are the HP Color LaserJet Pro printer only options.  The two trays are the same two trays you're used to having, one actual paper tray and flip down manual feed tray.

Excellent. Thank you.

You don't mention how much you print.

It varies quite a bit, but probably about 500 pages/week on average.

#5 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

Models I Would Investigate

Louis

Thanks.

I did look at a couple of Canon printers. One problem I had was that I couldn't find a simple users manual in a PDF. All of their manuals appear to be online. There is a download option, but it's a ZIP file and when I unzipped it, I got a dozen folders with all kinds of files. This is a big deterrent for me.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

IME...hardly anyone provides manuals these days which are not available online...the printed manuals for hardware are disappearing for various reasons...purchasers don't read/use them, they get lost, etc...while online manuals are always a download away, if they exist.

I consider the online availability a plus, not a minus.  I remember the days when "online" did not exist and people maintained countless hard-copy documents/papers/books...or lost the ability to use such as the references they were intended to be :).

Louis

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

I like mine just fine.  I'm not a heavy user, so that's my main reason for going laser.  I like the fact that the drivers are stored on the printer, so you can easily install it on new machines.

With the printer not being wireless it has to be cabled to your network or a computer.  A wireless printer can connect to your wireless network.  If you're like most people your printer is sitting right next to your router and it isn't an issue to run a network cable to it.  Once the printer is connected to the network with a cable your wireless devices can print to it.  There are some wireless printers at the bottom of the page.

The e-mail address to send print jobs is @eprint.com and is run by HP.  E-mail itself should not be consider secure, so I would not recommend sending secure documents this way.  But, if you were visiting someone and they had a recipe you could sent it right to your printer.  About the only use for this I have is to easily print things from my tablets or mobile devices.

The nice thing about the all in one printers is that you can copy and scan.

Edited by Kilroy, 13 March 2017 - 03:30 PM.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

I actually download manuals for anything I can and recycle the printed version that comes with the product.

Edited by Kilroy, 13 March 2017 - 03:29 PM.

#9 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:06 PM

IME...hardly anyone provides manuals these days which are not available online...the printed manuals for hardware are disappearing for various reasons...purchasers don't read/use them, they get lost, etc...while online manuals are always a download away, if they exist.

I consider the online availability a plus, not a minus.  I remember the days when "online" did not exist and people maintained countless hard-copy documents/papers/books...or lost the ability to use such as the references they were intended to be :).

Louis

I agree with you completely. My complaint was not with them being online, but with the downloaded version being a ZIP file that expands to a dozen folders. The HP and Brother printers have a single PDF that I can download and use. I can add my own bookmarks, much like highlighting or dogearing a hard copy.

#10 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:09 PM

I like mine just fine.  I'm not a heavy user, so that's my main reason for going laser.  I like the fact that the drivers are stored on the printer, so you can easily install it on new machines.

That is a big advantage. Thanks.

With the printer not being wireless it has to be cabled to your network or a computer.  A wireless printer can connect to your wireless network.  If you're like most people your printer is sitting right next to your router and it isn't an issue to run a network cable to it.  Once the printer is connected to the network with a cable your wireless devices can print to it.  There are some wireless printers at the bottom of the page.

Aka, got it, Thanks.

The e-mail address to send print jobs is @eprint.com and is run by HP.  E-mail itself should not be consider secure, so I would not recommend sending secure documents this way.  But, if you were visiting someone and they had a recipe you could sent it right to your printer.  About the only use for this I have is to easily print things from my tablets or mobile devices.

Good info, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users