Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PDF's will not open after program trial download

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vev46

vev46

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

I downloaded and installed a program so I could edit my .pdf files. When I realized it was not share/freeware, I uninstalled, and then realized that ALL of my pdf files will not open. The only thing that has changed is the icon preceding the file name, is no longer the Adobe Acrobat icon, but something different.  If I choose an icon instead of "details" in Explorer, the icon is a miniature image of the pdf file.  I went to reset the default programs in Control Panel, but Adobe is not showing in the list of programs, and I'm at a loss to figure this out and be able to access my files again.  Thank you for any help you can provide.  I've attached 2 screenshots for what I see in Explorer, and also the message I get when I try to open my pdf's.  I really need to get my files again for tax time.

Before anyone replies, please know that I was able to fix this by choosing "Make a file type always open in a specific program", where I could undo the change caused by the program I installed and then un-installed.

Attached Files

Edited by vev46, 11 March 2017 - 09:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:30 PM

have you tried a system restore ?

How To Use System Restore in Windows 7 or Windows Vista
  1. Navigate to the Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools program group. 
  2. Click on the System Restore program icon. 
  3. Click Next > on the Restore system files and settings window that should have appeared on the screen.

Note: If you have two options on this screen, Recommended restore and Choose a different restore point, select the Choose a different restore point option before clicking Next > unless you're absolutely sure that the preselected restore point is the one you want to use. 
  4. Choose the restore point that you want to use. Ideally, you'd want to choose the one just prior to noticing the problem you're trying to undo, but not any further back.

Any restore points that you manually created, scheduled restore points that Windows automatically created, and any created automatically during the installation of certain programs will be listed here. You can not use System Restore to undo Windows changes to a date that a restore point does not exist for.

Note: If you need to, check the Show more restore points or Show restore points older than 5 days checkbox to see more than the most recent restore points. There's no guarantee there are any but it's worth looking if you need to go back that far. 
  5. Click Next >
  6. Click Finish on the Confirm your restore point window to begin the System Restore.

Note: Windows will shut down to complete the System Restore so be sure to save any work you might have open in other programs before continuing. 
  7. Click Yes to the Once started, System Restore cannot be interrupted. Do you want to continue? dialog box. 
  8. System Restore will now restore Windows to the state that was recorded in the restore point you chose in Step 4.

Note: The System Restore process could take several minutes as you see the "Please wait while your Windows files and settings are being restored" message. Your computer will then reboot as normal when complete. 
  9. Immediately after logging into Windows after the reboot, you should see a message that System Restore completed successfully
  10. Click Close
  11. Check to see if whatever Windows 7 or Windows Vista problem you were troubleshooting has been corrected by this System Restore.

If the problem still persists, you can repeat the steps above and choose another restore point if one is available. If this restoration caused a problem, you can always undo this particular System Restore.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#3 vev46

vev46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:35 PM

Thanks, Outback Aussie, I edited my orig post that I was able to fix the problem.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:48 PM

Cool vev46, thanks for that.

I am copy and pasting the ops fix here for clarity..

I was able to fix this by choosing "Make a file type always open in a specific program", where I could undo the change caused by the program I installed and then un-installed.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users