Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not able to see my External Hard Disk in My PC

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 rnallamilli

rnallamilli

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

Hello,

I have 4TB External Hard Disk. Since couple of days i am having an issue. This External Hard Disk is not visible in 'My PC'. When i checked in Disk Management, This hard disk is visible. Its not showing any drive letter and also not showing it as 'Unallocated'

When i tried to allocate a new letter i am getting a message

'The operation failed to complete because the DIsk Management console view is not up-to=date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer.'

I have refreshed and restarted the computer but still no use.

Please help me with a solution for this. attached screen shots.

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 12 March 2017 - 02:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rnallamilli

rnallamilli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:40 AM

How to fix DIsk Management console view is not upto date.

I have 4 TB External Hard Disk and this not available in the Mt Computer. In Disk Management i can see it. Its not showing unallocated but also not recognizing with any letter. when tried to assign the letter got error message 'DIsk Management console view is not upto date'

How to fix this.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

Uninstall the driver for the external disk in the Disk Manager, then restart the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

To assign a different drive letter do the following.

Press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open the Run box.

When the Run box opens type in diskpart, click on OK.

When diskpart opens type in list volume, then press Enter.

Type select volume X (replace X with the volume number assigned to the partition in question).

Type assign letter Z (replace Z with the letter that you want to assign to it).

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 rnallamilli

rnallamilli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:35 PM

I have uninstalled the Drivers and re started the system and when i plugged the External Hard Drive it still have the same issue. 

This is the first time i am trying to access this Hard Drive after i restore my Laptop couple of weeks back.

#6 rnallamilli

rnallamilli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

i am not seeing my External Hard Drive in the diskpart but i am seeing it in Disk Management and am not able to change the drive letter.

When trying to change the Letter i am getting the error message

'The operation failed to complete because the DIsk Management console view is not up-to=date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer.'

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

You should not do anything else with the computer while this scan is running.  Do not stop the scan as this can damage Windows files.

You will need to open the Command Prompt to run the sfc /scannow.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.  This will open the Command Prompt.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

You will see an image similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log, reopen the Elevated Command Prompt using the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key method outlined in the instructions above.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the following in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click/tap on this to open the log, copy and paste it in your topic.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

Since you are listed as being here I will make my addition in a separate post so you do not miss it.

Have you tried using a different USB port with the external drive?  If you haven't try another port which you know is working.

#9 rnallamilli

rnallamilli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:35 PM

Hi, I have 1 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 ports. I have tried on all the ports. Did not work.

I need to run the sfc /scannow on the External Hard Disk. Are there any commands which will guide me there as the update looks for the OS.

Please help me here.

Edited by rnallamilli, 13 March 2017 - 01:37 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

Do you get the same problem when attaching the drive to a different computer?

#11 rnallamilli

rnallamilli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

I have my Office system but if i connect will format the drive. I don't have any other system with me at present.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

You run sfc /scannow from a command prompt. You do not run it on the external drive but for your system drive where is will check for any missing or corrupt system files.

When attached to the Office system a dialog box comes up asking to format the drive? From your second image in your first post there is no partition shown or if the disk is healthy. Even a RAW disk shows something and a disk without a letter would still show the file system and if the partition is healthy. Is there data on the drive you need?

dm.jpg

Hide-Windows-Drive-Disk-Management-No-Dr

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 March 2017 - 03:03 PM.

#13 rnallamilli

rnallamilli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

Yes.. I have 3 TB data into that drive. That drive i used when i took my back up before restoring windows 10 couple of weeks back. You helped me in restoring Windows 10.

#14 rnallamilli

rnallamilli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:20 PM

I just checked the External Hard Disk from an open system which is not connected to my office network and i could see all the files in the disk. 

Its some thing to do with my Laptop. 

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

I would follow dc3's recommendation to do a sfc /scannow and provide the logs. Another thing I would mention. If your data on the external is not backed up onto another device I would do so at the earliest possible. If the external failed you would be out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users