Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 computer will not boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Meawatts

Meawatts

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:08 PM

I was resetting my 2.5 yr old Dell Inspiron when we lost power. I now only receive a brief screen with the Dell logo, then the screen goes black. If I press F12 several times when the logo appears, I receive a screen stating press F1 to reboot or f2 to...
When I contacted a Dell, as I am out of warranty, they are limited on support to give me.
I did the download they recommended, from another computer, saved to removable media. When I put this media card in, nothing is happening.
I ran a diagnostics test, which came back with no issues.

Attached Files

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 11 March 2017 - 06:28 PM.
Topics merged and title edited.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Meawatts

Meawatts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

I was resetting my 2.5 yr old Dell Inspiron when we lost power. I now only receive a brief screen with the Dell logo, then the screen goes black. If I press F12 several times when the logo appears, I receive a screen stating press F1 to reboot or f2 to...
When I contacted a Dell, as I am out of warranty, they are limited on support to give me.
I did the download they recommended, from another computer, saved to removable media. When I put this media card in, nothing is happening.
I ran a diagnostics test, which came back with no issues.
Tried attaching photos, but the file is too large

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:40 PM

You said you used  'removable media' and the expression 'media card'. What did you write the Dell disk to ? Memory stick or an SD card ?  Looking at your second image above your computer only lists two possible means of booting - from the hard drive or from a DVD.

As far as I am aware very few computers will boot from an SD card but most will boot from a USB drive if you can find that option in your BIOS. If the option doesn't exist then you will have to burn the Dell recovery image to a DVD and then try again, but you will need to go into the BIOS and select the DVD drive as the drive you want to boot from. Ie, use the 'down' arrow key to select the hard drive.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 11 March 2017 - 06:41 PM.

#4 Meawatts

Meawatts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:06 PM

I Copied the download to this card in the picture. I will check the BIOS. Thank you
My problem is that the computer I used to get the download from doesn't have a DVD drive
This is the picture
This is the picture

Attached Files

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

Yes, that's an SD card. However you have the Dell Recovery files on this SD card so you need to go and check to see if your computer will allow booting from a USB stick. If it will then it is a simple matter to copy the files off the SD card onto a memory stick. If it doesn't, then you are going to have to find a computer with an optical drive to allow you to burn the files to a DVD. Nearly all laptops have an SD card reader fitted and any desktop can read them although it may require the use of a USB card reader. As you have discovered there are fewer laptops being built today with optical drives included !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users