Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Processor?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 eunoia

eunoia

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:42 PM

I'm not sure what I fried in my computer, but I fried something. I was trying to burn a DVD using Nero VisionExpress. I put the speed of the burn on "High" as opposed to "Normal" which cuts down the burn time, but uses more system resources. After a few minutes, I looked over at my screen and noticed that it had gone very strange. I'm not sure if I can describe it, but it looks kind of like the image is both scrambled and pixelated.

I restarted my computer, ran System Restore & Norton GoBack, but neither helped. Usually, the computer starts normally (and works very well in Safe Mode), but after starting programs, the same thing happens. Usually the scrambled pixelation moves around. Also, sometimes when I try to restart my computer, it doesn't do anything except emit a strange 56K modem connecting sequence of beeps as if it's trying to warn me of something, but I'm not sure what.

I'm assuming I fried my memory or my processor or something, but I have no idea. I'm positive that it's not my monitor as it seems to happen as more system resources are used, plus as I mentioned, it's fine in Safe Mode.

If anyone has any idea what this could I would be most grateful for your help. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:59 PM

are you saying that the computer starts up normal and runs fine until you start to do heavy cpu operations?

If so your case might be getting too hot inside causeing the video image sent to the monitor to be corrupted. But that is just a preliminary theory

#3 eunoia

eunoia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:37 PM

are you saying that the computer starts up normal and runs fine until you start to do heavy cpu operations?

If so your case might be getting too hot inside causeing the video image sent to the monitor to be corrupted. But that is just a preliminary theory

That's exactly what I'm saying. What I assumed was one of the fans made a weird noise for a few days a few weeks ago, and still does, though very rarely. I have a tiny case & I hear that sometimes they have heat issues, but I don't know.

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:46 AM

Perhaps run a program such as Everest ( you should be able to find the free home edition, just Google it )
And then under the first catagory, open sensor and then it'll display your CPU, Hardrive and motherboard temperatures.

Now, see the temperatures under idle, and then run a game or something resource hungry and see what the temps reach up to. It might show your Video cards temps to, but I'm not sure. If your CPU reaches over 55C, that's pretty hot and you might want to look into some extra cooling. Video cards can usualy hanlde higher temps, but I don't know what model you have?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 eunoia

eunoia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:36 PM

I downloaded Everest and another program called Hmonitor. When booting, my PC was at 60 degrees Celsius and was at 65 degrees+ usually, but at times went as high as 73 degrees. The motherboard temperature stayed between 11 degrees and 12 degrees. When I was monitoring I had quite a few programs open, but it took about 45 minutes for it to mess up. It wouldn't start for a few minutes, just kept emitting those beeps, but then eventually it did start, which makes me believe that it is a cooling issue & that it needed to cool down. Also, as you can see from the pictures below, my voltage (whatever that is) is always in the red. What does that mean? I wish that I could fully run either monitoring program in safe mode so that I could compare, but unfortunately, I can't.

Also, Everest reports my CPU usage while in safe mode as between 4-8%, but while in regular mode, it got as high as 100%. Are CPU usage and cooling related?

The last time I saw the temperature before the computer messed up, it was at 71 degrees, but I don't know what any of the other settings were.

Info about my computer:

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Celeron, 2600 MHz (26 x 100)
Motherboard Name Epox EX5300S (EP-4PGF) (1 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale-G i865G

Display:
Video Adapter Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller (96 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics 2

Lastly, I had Everest run a report while I was in regular mode and within the billion page output, I did find this, though I don't know if it means anything:

108: The driver ialmrnt5 for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.

Segments of Screenshots:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Again, thanks to anyone who can help!

#6 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:15 PM

70C is something to worry about. I don't really trust how accurate that program is though!

I downloaded it and tested it myself, said my Athlon +3500 was at 50C. When it's more like 36C. It appears to read Fan speed, and voltages fairly accurate though.

Try Everest to see what your CPU temps are. But it still is quite possible that your Celeron is infact 70C.

CPU usage and temperatures are somewhat related, a CPU under load, such as a game will increase it's temps. Could be something wrong then with Windows being currupted? 100% while idle is not normal. Was is 100% while loading something, or while you weren't doing anything?

Edited by protozero, 04 September 2006 - 09:26 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#7 eunoia

eunoia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:18 AM

70C is something to worry about. I don't really trust how accurate that program is though!

I downloaded it and tested it myself, said my Athlon +3500 was at 50C. When it's more like 36C. It appears to read Fan speed, and voltages fairly accurate though.

Try Everest to see what your CPU temps are. But it still is quite possible that your Celeron is infact 70C.

CPU usage and temperatures are somewhat related, a CPU under load, such as a game will increase it's temps. Could be something wrong then with Windows being currupted? 100% while idle is not normal. Was is 100% while loading something, or while you weren't doing anything?

I did try Everest. I had them both running at the same time. Both programs gave me the same temperatures.

#8 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:28 AM

Yes, 70 degrees is definately a matter of concern. I would try and address this issue and get the CPU running at its intended speed before going out and buying anything new. And i would have thought that if you fried a component (eg vid card or cpu) that it would simply not work at all, not just provide corrupted pictures. Corrupted images usually mean either too much heat or a clock speed too high. Try and cool it down a bit and see if you get the same results.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:47 AM

I'd suggest 3 things:

1) Uninstall the Intel video driver, then install the latest updated version from the Intel site (it'll be newer than the one at the Epox site).

2) Check the "cooling train" for your CPU. Ensure that you have a fan that's working to blow air onto the CPU cooler. Then check to ensure that there's thermal paste between the cooler and the CPU (have some on hand when checking this - you may have to add some before using the computer again). If it has the thermal tape instead of the paste, clean off the tape and apply the paste according to the directions.

3) Open up the side of your case and run it that way for a while - see if this improves the temps.

Edited by usasma, 05 September 2006 - 10:47 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 eunoia

eunoia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:25 PM

I'd suggest 3 things:

1) Uninstall the Intel video driver, then install the latest updated version from the Intel site (it'll be newer than the one at the Epox site).

2) Check the "cooling train" for your CPU. Ensure that you have a fan that's working to blow air onto the CPU cooler. Then check to ensure that there's thermal paste between the cooler and the CPU (have some on hand when checking this - you may have to add some before using the computer again). If it has the thermal tape instead of the paste, clean off the tape and apply the paste according to the directions.

3) Open up the side of your case and run it that way for a while - see if this improves the temps.

To be honest, I don't even know if my PC has all of the components that other PCs have since it's aMini PC & has some weird cooling mechanism. I think I'll have to contact the manufacturer. Thanks a lot to everyone who helped!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users