Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stronger WIFI signal absorb

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ac98521

ac98521

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

Is there a way to adjust the computer into making it absorb the wifi signal better?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:54 AM

If by absorb the signal you mean stronger reception of a signal, if you could simply adjust that, the manufacturer would have no reason not to have already done it.

The reception depends on the performance of the WLAN module and the antenna. Where these are fixed like in a laptop, there's not a lot you can do. If there's an external antenna socket such as on a desktop fitted with a WLAN card, a higher gain antenna could be used.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 ac98521

ac98521
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:42 PM

If by absorb the signal you mean stronger reception of a signal, if you could simply adjust that, the manufacturer would have no reason not to have already done it.

The reception depends on the performance of the WLAN module and the antenna. Where these are fixed like in a laptop, there's not a lot you can do. If there's an external antenna socket such as on a desktop fitted with a WLAN card, a higher gain antenna could be used.

you mean there is nothing in the computer configurations that can help strengthen signals, power distribution for the wireless networking functions of the computer?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:31 AM

Correct.

#5 ac98521

ac98521
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

Correct.

thank you

#6 RenoGeek

RenoGeek

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:57 AM

Hi, while the Moderator is correct that there is little you can do to make your computer "Absorb" more wifi.

There are settings on your wireless router that can be changed to broadcast a "better" signal.

(Switch channels,  broadcast strength etc..)

So if you are talking about poor ("absorption" (using your words)) AND the wifi is owned by you then you could go to the manufactures website for instructions on how to changes these factors.

I am not anti-social, I'm just not user friendly. 

Have you backed up today? Did you backup your backup?

Virus Removal Guides

Computer Technician Checklist

Microsoft Safety & Security Center

#7 hugeB

hugeB

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:51 PM

Attached File  Screenshot (3).png   51.45KB   0 downloads

Adjust the Power Saving Mode to "Maximum Performance" allows you to connect your computer to router from a longer distance.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:43 AM

Thanks hugeB, I guess I took the OP's specification of absorbing a signal (presumably being reception) too literally and didn't allow for the possibility of including transmit:

"Maximum Performance: Adapter is set to maximum transmit power level."

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005879.html

Apologies ac98521 if I overlooked a possibility of your meaning!

Edited by Platypus, 16 March 2017 - 02:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users