Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need A New Harddrive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Overdose(UT)

Overdose(UT)

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:27 PM

Hi, this is my first post :thumbsup:. So heres the dealio: I have a one year old E-machines computer. Its got an AMD 64 3400+ processor, 1GB ram, a 200 gig harddrive, and a BFG 6800 GT overclocked. About 4 months ago, I was playing fear, and all of a sudden it shut off. When I started it back up, it said windows failed to start :flowers: . It then gave me the 3 options of 1. start in safe mode 2. start regular 3. start with last known good settings. start regular did not work. start in safe mode did not work. start with last known good settings worked..... for a little while. It was running fine, then it shut down again. Upon start up it did the same thing( failed to start windows, etc). I was able to get it to run a few times after that. One time it said error with harddrive, or something like that. And then it just stopped working at all. It couldnt start windows.

So then I let my mom take it to work, where she has an IT guy who fixes computers. He said it needs a harddrive. But he also said it would be tough to get one that worked because it is an E-machines. I got my computer back( not fixed) and took out the hardrive myself. It says on the back it is a seagate 200gig, 7200.7( whatever that means). It also says Ultra ATA. I looked on newegg.com, and one of these harddrives cost about $70. They dont have 7200.7's, they have 7200.9's. new model i guess. Do you think if I replace it with one of these it will work?

Also, when i first installed the 6800 GT, it said it did not get enough power. I ignored it :trumpet: and played games like doom 3 and fear at the highest settings, with never a problem. They ran very smooth without any slowdown or glitches. Only one other time did the window pop up that said it did not have enough power. Should I replace the power plant too?

Thanks for reading. Please tell me any recommendations you may have!
Live in your world. Get pwned in mine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:34 PM

the problem may not be directly related to the HD. If you don't have enough power to the video card(VC) then that could cause the computer to crash under load.

First, do you know what the model # for your emachine is? My guess is E400-T6420(from tiger direct). did it come with the VC when you bought it? or was it something you added? I'm guessin you added it after the fact.

If it came in the package I would hope that they gave you enough power. Obviously your comp doesn't think it has enough power cuz if it keeps telling you otherwise. based on the model #E400-T6420 as a reference you probably have a 300W power supply. for 3d gaming this is vastly underpowered for any newer VC. If you open your case you should be able to read the wattage off the sticker on the power supply along with some other specifications on voltages and amps. If you plan on upgrading the VC in the future you should pay attention to these ratings on the new PSU (if you buy one) so you dont find out that your PSU is not enough for your upgrade card.

AS to the hard drive question, have you tried to get to system restore? Or is it too far gone for any recovery? if the drive is actually broken and not just the OS corrupted then replacing it should be no problem. I just hope you have a backup disk for windows, cuz Im gonna guess the emachines didnt come with a full copy of windows. I don't see any reason why putting a HD into an emachine is any different than another machine, maybe the IT guy was just misquoted. Seagate makes good drives, but I love wester digital. I bought a 320 GB drive this year and I'm trying to fill it up. The only thing you need for the HD is to make sure it is not SATA b/c i doubt that you have a sata array. you are looking for PATA or IDE or EIDE or Ultra ATA, they are all the same thing just with a different name.

#3 Overdose(UT)

Overdose(UT)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:20 AM

Hey gothmog, thanks for your advice. I checked on my computer and it is a 300w power supply. I dont know if the hardrive can be repaired, so ill just replace it. I guess ill go ahead and upgrade both the power supply and hardrive. thanks!
Live in your world. Get pwned in mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users