Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to get Wi-fi on Linux Mint.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:31 PM

I now got a Linux Mint partition on my Dell laptop. Now I just need to set up the Wi-fi. Is there away to set up the Wi-fi without entering the password? I know that in Windows I can press, and hold down a button on the modem, and that would connect the computer to the internet. Can I do that with Linux Mint?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 anorkneemerse

anorkneemerse

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:09 AM

I now got a Linux Mint partition on my Dell laptop. Now I just need to set up the Wi-fi. Is there away to set up the Wi-fi without entering the password? I know that in Windows I can press, and hold down a button on the modem, and that would connect the computer to the internet. Can I do that with Linux Mint?

The modem/router button should also work for LM. Just give it a try.

If not successful, please refer to ....... https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-configure-wireless-on-mint

P S - It is not secure to use the modem/router button feature which is called WPS or WDS, ie easier for the Wifi password to be hacked by neighbors. Personally, I secure my home router by going to http://192.168.1.1 to change the router's factory default admin password(= usually it's just "admin").

....... After logging into the router, I disabled the WPS/WDS and Remote Assistance/Management(for the ISP to do trouble-shooting or tech support) features.

....... For Wifi, I set its encryption mode to WPA2-AES/Personal(not the weaker WEP) and a strong password.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3093362/how-to-secure-your-router-and-home-network.html

Edited by anorkneemerse, 11 March 2017 - 12:30 AM.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:19 AM

It is still advised to use passwords regardless, I know not using a password is easier but remember that was a weakness for windows XP.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,865 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:27 AM

Now I just need to set up the Wi-fi. Is there away to set up the Wi-fi without entering the password? 

Why are you wanting to do it this way Sam?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:40 AM

Now I just need to set up the Wi-fi. Is there away to set up the Wi-fi without entering the password? 

Why are you wanting to do it this way Sam?

For "ease of use" I imagine,  its so hard to spend an extra few seconds to type in a password I guess

However you really only have to enter your wifi password once in the wifi setup.

Edited by MadmanRB, 11 March 2017 - 07:43 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:11 AM

Hey Sam Gunn,

You are a "TRUSTING SOUL" to not want to use a password.

I have the maximum characters allowed as I'm not a "TRUSTING SOUL".

Passwords are easy to come up with as one can use any long phrase etc to use as a password.

The few extra minutes needed to secure a WIFI / WIRELESS connection would be well worth it.

If someone figures out the type of unsecured router you are using I GUARANTEE you that it can be taken over and your internet and personal information becomes theirs to do with as they please.

Just food for thought.

Edited by The-Toolman, 11 March 2017 - 08:26 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:54 AM

I got it. I had the password on a USB drive. I didn't know if I still had it.

#8 anorkneemerse

anorkneemerse

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

I got it. I had the password on a USB drive. I didn't know if I still had it.

If the modem/router belongs to you, you can change the Wifi password at any time by accessing the router's set-up via the browser address http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 . Each branded router has its own factory default admin username and password, eg admin/admin. Check your router's manual or do a Google-Search on your router's brand/model.

....... Please refer to ....... http://sea.pcmag.com/networking/2887/news/how-to-set-up-and-configure-your-wireless-router

P S - Better to write down all your passwords and how you arrive at computer solutions, like keeping a tech diary.

Edited by anorkneemerse, 11 March 2017 - 07:51 PM.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

I agree you should change your log in details on the router ASAP.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

I agree you should change your log in details on the router ASAP.

^^^ Definitely. Seconded, motion carried!  :)

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 11 March 2017 - 08:04 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users