Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting laptop, help with Vista installation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 blitzjg

blitzjg

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:49 PM

It came with Windows vista originally. The product key is still on the warranty sticker on the laptop but I can't find any place to download a boot disk or ISO or whatever I would need.  I also don't have any burnable DVDs but I do have an 8GB flashdrive I formatted for this.

Please help, in dire need of reformatting and would like to work on it this weekend

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:05 AM

Does it not have a Recovery Partition ?

Otherwise i used this 12 Mths Ago on Laptop Repair for Vista Home.

I had no issues with the ISO / Or entering the Original Laptop Key to Activate.

http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-vista-home-premium-download-iso-32-bit-64-bit/

#3 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

How would I determine if it has a recovery partition?

Is this going to be akin to a complete wipe?  I mean the thing is really bad off, i backed up all my files onto an external hard drive so I want to start as close to scratch as possible.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

If it has a recovery Partition , yes this will wipe the Drive and return it to the state of when purchased.

So it would go back to eg: 2007 , and then you would have to Update all Windows Updates to todays date.

It would also install the Manufacturers Programs that they Installed.

You may also have issues with Vista Updates installing - see here

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611898/windows-vista-update-hangs-at-checking-for-updates/

To check if it has a Recovery Partition you can check within Control Panel / Admin Tools / Computer Mangement / Disk Management 

this will show all Partitions , the recovery partition will be around 12 - 15 Gig.

The manufacturers Website for your Model Laptop will explain the Process to do so , if the Partition is available and hasnt been deleted.

Vista is getting on a bit now , so you may want to go with Win 7 / or 10 or a Linux Distro , but depends on the laptop Specs.

You can download Speccy from BC and post those Results - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

#5 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:33 PM

Running Speccy now.  There is a D: drive labeled recovery with about 1.92 GB out of 12 gb used.

I also have 2 Windows 7 DVDs which were burned at some point, but I dont know of a product key for them if they are of any help.

#6 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/kiN7TQeVHjrpVqu8GzmMqaC

I should note that if I try to go to system recovery on restart it just proceeds to start the computer up.

Edit:

I can't seem to get to a spot to actually download the Vista Home Premium ISO

Edited by blitzjg, 11 March 2017 - 10:07 PM.

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

The D;\ Drive shows 10.3 Gig used , so i would say that is the Recovery.

If you go that way , check the Model No at manufacturer Website on How To.

Also ensure whenever doing this or formatting that you have Backed Up all Personal Data prior.

Question ? You have Win7 64Bit installed now , so what issues are you having that you want to revert back to Vista ?

Any issues should be able to be cleaned up here within BC Forums by those Trained Members etc.

#8 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

I posted addressing some of the issues.  A lot of it is just a reduction in speed, but there are a lot of errors that prevent me from doing stuff and it just seems to be like opening a can of worms when trying to address one.  For example I went to install Python for work, but when opening the program it says there is an error with some file.  Google alluded to it being a problem from a missing windows update.  I am unable to perform Windows update because it just gets locked into "Looking for Updates" and the last time it tried to update a bunch of them failed. So it just feels like its long overdue for a formatting, it is nearly 10 years old and has certainly seen better days.

I'm pretty sure I've done what the Manuf. suggested, I will double check later, but it should work just by pressing F11 at the boot up screen.  When I do that it acknowledges that I pushed F11 but then proceeds normally to load up Windows.

#9 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:10 PM

I tested the ISO Link - No Issues in downloading { Unless you have something Blocking It ? }

Up to you which way you go - Install  Vista From ISO / Use Recovery Partition  / Or Cleanup Current Win 7. 

Either way Windows Updates will need to be done at completion of install and any additional Programs you require.

I would leave the Updates until  the PC is up and running correctly , and then do an Image of the Drive , then Updates , and reimage again.

Post the Make / Model  , so we can look for the Recovery Procedure steps.

Usually under Start / Programs / eg: Dell / Recovery , you can perform the action , but they all vary , or it may have been removed ?

So as you said it just boots to Windows and misses the Step .

You can Request Recovery Discs from the Manufacturer at a cost.

#10 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

It was saying I needed to whitelist my ad blocker and I did that but I still couldnt get past that Red screen with refresh or reclicking the link.

So I figured it out, I had to make the Recovery partition my active partition and then I could use F11 to system restore.  I did that last night

My laptop is currently performing its windows updates, which is naturally taking awhile.

Now my questions are, how can I figure out what bloatware I can/should get rid of, should I contact Microsoft support and see if they will re-send me the Windows 7 upgrade?  And what free Anti-Viral/malware programs should I install?  In the past I have used Avira and AVG, Anti-malware bytes, Super Anti-spyware, I'm not sure if they are recommended and/or will work well with Vista.

EDIT:

I began installing all the necessary Windows Vista updates.  I am currently speaking with a Microsoft Support person regarding a possible free upgrade to Windows 10.

They would not give me a Windows 10 upgrade, but did provide me with a Win7 ISO so I can at least get back there, although the lack of future support for Win7 is scary.

Edited by blitzjg, 13 March 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#11 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

Admins, can you please close this topic, movin on up to Win10!

#12 xtype

xtype

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:50 AM

"although the lack of future support for Win7 is scary"

Windows Vista support ends next month on the 11th April so I would try to upgrade to W8 if possible.....

Just saw your post your upgrading to 10 .... :thumbup2:

Edited by xtype, 14 March 2017 - 06:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users