Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats up with Pulse Audio

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

​​Evening, everybody.

Just to let y'all know that the Puppy crew have got this one licked..!

Our browser 'handyman', OscarTalks, has compiled a PulseAudio 'aPulse' .pet package which gets everything up-and-running. You can find the .pets as follows:-

32-bit:-

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/apulse-0.1.8-i686-wz.pet

64-bit:-

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/apulse-0.1.8-x86_64.pet

Install FF52, then install the 'aPulse' package at the same time, before starting FireFox.....then let 'er rip. I'm listening to RadioTunes in 32-bit Slacko 560 right now, having just watched one of my video tutes on YouTube. Sound's working fine everywhere it should.

​@The-Toolman:-

​Give this combo a try in Tahrpup, and let me know how you get on with it. I'm not a FireFox user, as y'all know by now, but I did give this a test run before posting the links to make sure it all works. Take my advice, though, and leave Chromium where it is; it never hurts to have multiple browsers in place!

Puppians are taking the pragmatic view, here; Mozilla have made it plain they're not going to change their policy towards ALSA, so there's absolutely no point in flooding the Mozilla blogs/forums/newsletters/developers forums with loads & loads of loud, vociferous complaints. It's better simply to work with/around it, rather than waste energy moaning about it.....

​​

​Enjoy!

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 24 March 2017 - 05:19 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

I have only had problems with Lubuntu and Puppy but different browser fixed that.

No problems on antix 16 as I'm using an ESR version of FF.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#33 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:56 AM

I have only had problems with Lubuntu and Puppy but different browser fixed that.

No problems on antix 16 as I'm using an ESR version of FF.

I use the ESR version on some computers myself, these are stable & recommended for schools, businesses, anywhere that a stable browser with infrequent updates are needed. Home users can benefit also, by not having to update as frequent, as a result, any add-ons will not change as fast. :)

For me, too much trouble to setup on Linux, this should be a .deb file for Ubuntu based distros, IMO. Since FF isn't my main browser anymore, no worries, and for the same reason, ESR allows me not to bother with updating as often, while keeping FF for as needed.

I'll be the first to admit, these 'tar' files are my weakness, normally I can find an alternative way to grab what I need, such as adding a PPA. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 24 March 2017 - 05:14 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#34 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:21 AM

FWIW.

I downloaded and installed the latest version of "Opera 44" and have to say it works well with systems using ALSA sound and a good alternative to move away from Mozilla who I now really hate with as much prejudice as I can mustard.

Toolman

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#35 JohnnyBeeGood

JohnnyBeeGood

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

Thanks to OscarTalks for writing that code and Mike for posting a link to it.

Sound would be perfect if I could only get rid of my tinnitus   lol.

#36 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 02:58 AM

The-Toolman, you may want to try the more popular Vivaldi, a cross-platform browser. Designed by the original Opera developers, not those who brute forced their way into taking over the browser over financial issues, who then turned around & made a Chrome wannabe out of it. As a condition of the takeover a few years back, the original Opera team couldn't even use their own work to build another brand. :angry:

https://vivaldi.com/?lang=en_US

Nothing to lose in taking for a spin, you may actually prefer it over Opera & in doing so, sending those who makes Microsoft like takeovers a message. :)

It's beyond the scope of the Topic & some materials has been removed by the new owners, so will leave the Opera takeover of a few years back (& more recently in November, the newer owners sold out to a Chinese group) for anyone to research on their own. All that's left of the original Opera group, based in Norway are their TV network & email services. :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#37 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

Hey cat1092,

Just installed Vivaldi and I think I'm going to like it.

Has lots of settings for tweaking to end-user needs.

Blows away chrome, chromium, opera.

Good suggestion to try and I've been wanting to just never did until now.

Thanks.

#38 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

@The-Toolman:-

You should enjoy Vivaldi. It works along the same lines as the Chromium-based browsers (that is, after all, what it's based on.....but it does have lots of neat, extra features.)

Only reason I don't run it as one of my regulars is that it's a wee bit 'colourful' for my liking..!

Mike.  :wink:

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#39 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:14 PM

Hey Mike,

Yep it is loud as far as color goes but I believe that I can adjust that once I learn more about it features.

Seems pretty functional.

#40 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

Only reason I don't run it as one of my regulars is that it's a wee bit 'colourful' for my liking..!

HUH? Says the man with the colorful desktops. LOL

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#41 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

Umm... Yeah. Alright, ya got me there..!  :P

(*sheesh*)   :lol:  :lol:

I dunno; I took one look at it, back when one of my colleagues on the Puppy Forum knocked together an experimental package when it was first released.....and I just took an instant dislike to it..!

No accounting for tastes, of course. Despite having those 'colourful desktops', my browsers are actually quite restrained.....for me.

This is my 'global' theme in my Google a/c, across all my Chromium-based browsers:-

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/black-carbon-%2B-silver-met/lodhggoaglindpoejnjldimdlikkphph?hl=en-GB

Yaf0ILP.png

Like it?

Mike.  :blush:  :whistle:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 26 March 2017 - 04:12 AM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#42 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:00 PM

FWIW

Updates to Linux mint 18 this morning

10elsmw.jpg

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#43 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:02 PM

Good News for Lubuntu 16.04 users.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/52.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+publishinghistory

Hopefully this won't change.

Edited by The-Toolman, 04 April 2017 - 03:04 PM.

#44 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:12 AM

I noticed that Firefox had a new version for Linux MInt, although there wasn't one for Windows, probably because the release was designed to fix only affected OS's. :)

Wonder why they don't have a link to this in a simple .deb file? I downloaded the ESR version a week back, and was one of those same types of files. This is one of my weaknesses with Linux, not knowing what to do with these after download, while I can get by & have done so for many years, am by no means a LInux 'expert', this is one reason why. Seems like there would be a popular (well known) step by step guide on how to execute these type of files that's newbie friendly.

All of the other 3rd party browsers ships as a .deb file for Ubuntu based OS's. :)

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users