Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats up with Pulse Audio

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:11 AM

Hey, Toolman.

If you want to hop on over to 'Puppy' Linux Corner, I'll see if I can help you out with those queries. 

I do have a wee bit of experience with the Chromium-based stuff.....  :lol:

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

Pretty obvious to me that nothing is going to be done by Mozilla.

It seems that the management at Mozilla is not happy with the responses it has been receiving.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661#c98

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#18 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:51 PM

Hoo, boy; their chief development officer, Mike Hoye, is really getting his knickers in a twist over all those complaints, isn't he? To the point where he arbitrarily limits the discussion to only those individuals with 'official' access to Bugzilla.....

And as for Antony Jones bragging that he alone was responsible for the whole PulseAudio debacle, in addition to bringing DRM to Linux.... (*jeez*)

Unfortunately, this simply reinforces and polarises public opinion over the assumption that Linux developers only ever work on what they want to work on..... It's as plain as dynamiting fish in a bucket that nobody at Mozilla wants to work on ALSA maintenance, and they're coming up with all sorts of reasons why it's impractical, rather than just saying straight out. 'We don't want to.'

I can see Mozilla losing a lot of their userbase over this.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 16 March 2017 - 07:54 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#19 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:53 AM

I can see Mozilla losing a lot of their userbase over this.

It all boils down to the Big Corporations Doing only what they want.

I understand that Open-Source is given to us free to use However there should be some sense of loyalty to its user base.

Perhaps I'm wrong maybe loyalty for a product to its user is a thing of the past.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#20 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:49 AM

The-Toolman, the Settings Tab, which includes extensions, is just beneath where the browser is closed, those three vertical dots. :thumbup2:

Once you click onto that, you'll see what's going on. For the best experience, enable Developer Mode, which will allow you more power over the browser. Plus, if needed, you can control the resources of Chromium better, go to the bottom of the Settings page, and click 'Show Advanced Settings', then near the bottom again, and uncheck the box that allows Chromium to be ran in the background, even when it's not running. You'll then, if on a low powered computer, see the OS being more responsive. :)

Hope that this is helpful! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#21 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:05 AM

It seems that the management at Mozilla is not happy with the responses it has been receiving.

You mean to that Mozilla Staff are still responding (in 2017) to emails as though it were 2000? No wonder Firefox has turned into a sloppy browser, the management cannot depart from the past long enough to write a modern email, much less a browser, for crying out loud. :lol:

All of those verbose responses made him sound (or look) as though a hillbilly! :P

I'd bet the house that Google doesn't communicate in the same way, nor few other modern corporations. It was a true pain for me to read though all of that mumbo-jumbo, when he could had responded as many of us does. This is exactly the issue with Mozilla, their noses are stuck too far into the past to see the future. :lol:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#22 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:10 AM

The-Toolman, the Settings Tab, which includes extensions, is just beneath where the browser is closed, those three vertical dots. :thumbup2:

Once you click onto that, you'll see what's going on. For the best experience, enable Developer Mode, which will allow you more power over the browser. Plus, if needed, you can control the resources of Chromium better, go to the bottom of the Settings page, and click 'Show Advanced Settings', then near the bottom again, and uncheck the box that allows Chromium to be ran in the background, even when it's not running. You'll then, if on a low powered computer, see the OS being more responsive. :)

Hope that this is helpful! :thumbup2:

Cat

Thanks

#23 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

You mean to that Mozilla Staff are still responding (in 2017) to emails as though it were 2000? No wonder Firefox has turned into a sloppy browser, the management cannot depart from the past long enough to write a modern email, much less a browser, for crying out loud. :lol:

All of those verbose responses made him sound (or look) as though a hillbilly! :P

I'd bet the house that Google doesn't communicate in the same way, nor few other modern corporations. It was a true pain for me to read though all of that mumbo-jumbo, when he could had responded as many of us does. This is exactly the issue with Mozilla, their noses are stuck too far into the past to see the future. :lol:

Cat

Unbelievable isn't it.

#24 JohnnyBeeGood

JohnnyBeeGood

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

Hi Toolman

Unbelievable indeed.

One of the last responses:

> We're obviously requesting a very simple thing: release a 52.0.1 build with
> ALSA support restored, and never again take it away. Please.

That isn't going to happen. Sorry.

This kind of arrogance is what leads to a failing/failed enterprise.

I'm not proficient in writing/adding code beyond the mechanisms provided in the repositories, like many Linux novices imo, so if Mozilla continues to provide updated versions that have such issues, my avenue of repair is realistically to install a different browser that does work with the current Puppy. And that looks like Chrome.

FF64 v51.0.1 may wind up being the last Mozilla browser I use.

John.

Edited by JohnnyBeeGood, 17 March 2017 - 09:53 AM.

#25 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

And ya wonder why I gave up on it as a bad job years ago, huh.....?? Chrome might be controlled by the Google 'Empire', with all it's 'nosey'-related stuff.....but I've never yet known them to make huge boo-boos like this one.

Anyway, I've always taken the view that it's 'better the devil you know'..! At least I know exactly where I stand with Google.....

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 17 March 2017 - 11:15 AM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#26 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:47 AM

Chrome might be controlled by the Google 'Empire', with all it's 'nosey'-related stuff....

Yes, Chromium is controlled (& heavily funded) by Google, after all, if it weren't for Chromium, then Google would have to rely on another source for their Web browser. :o

So when one sees when Chromium is installed & later version than the current Google Chrome, this means they're testing for Google & will be the next release of Chrome. I've seen it time & time again, if it had not been for Google, the Chromium Project, unless taken up by someone else, would have long folded, it's usershare is next to zero. I've yet to know anyone personally who has had Chromium installed on any OS other than myself, though I'll tell others that if they want to test the next Google Chrome, download & install Chromium. :)

That stated, and the obvious (Google Chrome is the #1 most used browser in the World), there's no 'might' about it, am surprised that Google allows the project to remain open. Although by it being open, Google may find something positive in one of the other browsers to incorporate into their own, therefore makes sense to keep Chromium open source. Plus they don't have to deal with 'anti-trust' issues, fair competition, etc. :thumbup2:

It's been known by many for sometime (at least since 2015) that Firefox was going to be another Vivaldi, Opera & other Chromium based browsers, yet they done it to themselves. Firefox was in the #2 slot for awhile, decided to fix wasn't broken, the result was two full releases of Firefox (not counting several sub-versions) that were buggy. Along with many others, after a long stint of running Firefox & never considering another browser, the 2nd release broke the straw, went to Google Chrome, and use Firefox only as a workhorse browser for downloading large files using their download manager in Down Them All. Which is the only browser extension I've donated to, if I were to total up what I've downloaded with the extension, would probably fill most of the externals that I have. :lol:

As far as Pulse Audio goes, I've had issues of my own, sometimes have to go into the settings & reset the way I want, doesn't always hold across reboots. However, I'm not going to discount anyone's claims that Firefox is causing this, because I don't use the browser for that purpose, who knows, anything is possible. It's my hope that, regardless of the cause, Pulse Audio is fixed for everyone that needs it, and many Linux users, including myself, does need the app to be working properly. :)

This, I do know, unlike Windows, which doesn't see my 4 speaker setup on my MSI notebook (only two with Realtek HD, NVIDIA & Intel's version of HD Audio), with Pulse Audio, have access to all 4 with Linux Mint 17.3. Although it reports as being analog, at least it does detect & report the correct amount of installed speakers & I can click onto each to identify position, which is correct. How can LInux Mint 17.3 (or Pulse Audio) do what Windows cannot? Have at least three sound programs installed, THX (the equalizer), Realtek HD Audio (latest version, 2.81) & Dynaudio (the latter shows in the BIOS at boot). Maybe there's too much bumping of heads going on to correctly ID all four as separate on W10, yet with the simple Pulse Audio, have all 4. Here's the official specs, which does show I have 4 installed speakers. Maybe I have too many audio apps installed, yet it was this way out of the box.

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/FX603.html#hero-specification

The above is an issue I'll have to take up in the Hardware section, was this way with Windows 7 (out of the box) & 8.1, as well as 10. :thumbdown:

Only with Linux Mint does all speakers show as separates, two front just underneath the edge & two rear in the bezel area. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Included link of product specs to support my point with Pulse Audio detection. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 21 March 2017 - 02:55 AM.

#27 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:17 AM

Only with Linux Mint does all speakers show as separates, two front just underneath the edge & two rear in the bezel area. :thumbsup:

Cat

Can't argue as in my experience Linux Mint has always installed and updated and runs right out of the box and that is more than I can say about some of the other Linux distros I have tried and use.

The main reason it is my everyday driver.  :cool:

#28 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:14 AM

Can't argue as in my experience Linux Mint has always installed and updated and runs right out of the box and that is more than I can say about some of the other Linux distros I have tried and use.

The main reason it is my everyday driver.  :cool:

Mine also! :thumbsup:

Spoiler

Mint has indeed been good to me, no matter which I install the distro on. :)

While this isn't my best PC by far, it's been the only computer that sees daily use as of late, so may as well call it my daily driver. Plus the 6 core FX-6300 CPU hasn't bottle necked the MSI rebranded GTX 960, seems to fall somewhere (performance wise) in between a mid class i3 & the same with the i5, has handled everything I've thrown at it & then some. Specs are also in the last Speccy link of my sig below. As with the rest, have to fiddle with Pulse Audio controls, perhaps more often than the rest, being the most used of the lot. :)

Am now playing with Mint Cinnamon 18 64 bit on a PC that one wouldn't believe would run a modern OS, no matter which type, at 11 years old, a Dell Optiplex 740 DT edition (2006 era). So far, both runs perfect, including the audio, all that was needed were a better GPU & faster HDD, plus perhaps the fastest AM2 CPU didn't hurt either, which along with the copper core CPU cooler (both totaled less than $25), too bad I didn't have no more than a single PCIe slot. That left me to choose between graphics (including audio via Displayport) & a SSD, so chose the necessity. There is a PCIe slot just in front of the GPU, like near the end where the fan is, yet in too tight of a place to install a PCIe SATA-RAID card, of which I have a small IOCrest (or Syba) one. See Page 46 & then back to #28 for details. If anyone can assist or has experience that I don't, please let me know by PM & I'll create a new Topic to explain in the open, so that everyone benefits, would likely be in Internal Hardware. :)

The upgraded 500GiB WD RE4 (SATA-2) is plenty faster (7200 rpm, 32MB cache) than the 80GiB WD Caviar SE (SATA-1, 7200 rpm, 8MB cache) WD800JD-75MSA3 that was installed, afterwards booted so fast that I believed for a moment my eyes were playing tricks on me. :lol:

I can attest to one thing for certain, this has been the best HDD upgrade I've ever performed in my life for anyone (as far as performance gains are considered), when the other was running & reporting perfect health. The pulled one can be used in my similar build for Data, an Optiplex 780 that's 3 years newer, which did have what's needed for a SSD built into the MB, just had to upgrade chipset driver. Both runs the same GPU, a 1GB GDDR5 OEM Dell Radeon HD 7570, only the 740 has Displayport rather than HDMI for the 780, another advantage for the aging PC, at 11 years old, needs all of the help it can. :P

Am serious, if anyone seen the performance of this Optiplex 740 purchased with no OS (though a Vista Business COA) for $29 on eBay & was in a hidden area, few would believe it's age & I've rebuilt enough PC's to say for certain this is one of my better successes. :)

Had to fiddle with Pulse Audio on this one a bit also (the common denominator for all), finally all worked out, the rest of the OS, I'll work on as time permits, and soon may via Bluetooth 4.0, be driving a 29" Vizio (2 channel) soundbar, still in the sealed package since late in 2015, the price was so good at $49.99, had to purchase two & glad I did. Nowadays, a used/refurbished one goes for $89 minimum. Pulse will be really rocking VLC Media Player with that setup, assuming all goes well. :)

Maybe I can get more used to Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon on the PC, the OS seems to have finally matured enough for me to run. :thumbup2:

Hopefully Pulse Audio will keep this oldie goldie rocking a few more years yet, the purchased CPU was like new & packaged as such, while not a powerhouse it's younger model is, it's clean as can be on the interior, with some TLC, can enjoy it's final years in style. :)

Cat

#29 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

Perhaps something will change.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-devel/2017-March/subject.html

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-devel/2017-March/000994.html

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-devel/2017-March/001000.html

#30 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:55 PM

The-Toolman, hopefully so! :)

There's nothing I'd like more than not having to fiddle with the volume controls (Pulse Audio) when running Linux Mint, be it with Firefox, or VLC. :thumbup2:

While installing the ALSA package may help, it only adds a layer that's more complicated to use.

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users