Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats up with Pulse Audio

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:01 PM

Hey Everyone,

DISCUSSION Not Needing Support.

I see on Ubuntu Forums and Linux Mint Forums that Pulse Audio is causing problems with some distros when using youtube in the latest version of FF 52.0.

Bug Report.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1671273

I have not experienced any problems with my Debian Based Distros.

Thanks.

Edited by The-Toolman, 10 March 2017 - 06:29 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:52 PM

Thanks, Toolman, for a well titled topic... DISCUSSION Not Needing Support.   ... :thumbsup2:

I am not noticing any disturbance here ...Linux Mint 18....however I am still on firefox 51.0.1

I will watch for the upgrade and report here any upsets.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:00 PM

I use FF ESR 45.8.0 for antix 16.

I use FF 52.0 for MX 16.

No problems with either Distro.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 JohnnyBeeGood

JohnnyBeeGood

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:22 AM

I ran into the 'bug'

Currently running Tahr 6.0.6 64bit uefi

Installed FF 51 through an upgraded Quickpet, all was OK.

Upgraded FF through FF to v52 and sound wouldn't work from the browser because Pulse Audio software wasn't included. Sound worked from cd.

Installed PA through one of the upgraded repositories  but it failed because one of the libraries wasn't included and I couldn't find a listing for it.

So went back to FF v51.

Aside from this, really like Tahr 6.0.6 64 bit  uefi and FF 51 is good enough for the present :).

Edited by JohnnyBeeGood, 13 March 2017 - 08:24 AM.

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

I'm beginning to hate Mozilla as much as I already hate Google Chrome.

I know people who have installed "apulse" and said it had worked for them with FF (52).

I'm not experiencing any problems with my Debian based distros although my Lubuntu has the bug.

My LM 18 Xfce is ok but it is running FF (51.0.1) but I expect it to crap out when the FF (52) installs.

I may just have to lower myself to using Google Chrome if I can't find a browser that I like.

WHAT A BUMMER feels like something that would happen when using MS Windows.

Edited by The-Toolman, 13 March 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

My LM 18 Xfce is ok but it is running FF (51.0.1) but I expect it to crap out when the FF (52) installs.

Well LM18 Xfce just updated FF to v52 and no problems with the Youtube / Pulse Audio bug as of this posting.

I just hope it remains that way although time will tell.

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

Did you by any chance get any system updates round about the same time? It's quite possible the 'missing' pulseaudio stuff was installed at that time.....however, I must confess that I thought Mint (and the 'buntus) had been using PulseAudio for a few years anyway.

I could, of course, be wrong.....

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:24 PM

Hey Mike,

Yes Pulse Audio has been part of Ubuntu and Linux Mint for sometime AFAIK.

Apparently this bug only affects some Distros  using ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) such as Lubuntu in my case and some others from what I've read.

Even with Pulse Audio installed Youtube doesn't have any audio so it is definitely an issue with FF.

Here are some links.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1671273

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345439

My Debian and Linux Mint Distros haven't been affected by the bug as they are running FF v52 without problems.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:45 AM

Seems that Firefox 52 is the culprit here, having been mentioned in most of the posts so far. :)

Please note that Mozilla, the distributor of Firefox, is going through some changes, that we'll see & feel first hand. To put it simple, Firefox will soon become another Google Chrome clone, and some of the add-ons has already fell out of support for the browser. Notably, at some point, we'll lose perhaps the best security add-on of any browser in NoScript, as well as the popular download manager Down Them All, yet there'll be more. Eventually will get to the point that add-one will be coming from the Chrome Web Store, just like many of the other Chromium based browsers. 

It's already happening under our noses & here's one example (new Firefox add-on) of what I cited above. 

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-Us/firefox/addon/chrome-store-foxified/

Some of the 3rd party extension developers spoke out over the matter, nothing they can do. Once Firefox shipped two back to back Full buggy releases (to include several minor releases), many flocked to Google Chrome & Mozilla lost control of the destiny of Firefox forever. Google seized the moment & won many over with a faster, lesser bug free browser. Sadly for myself, was a long time Firefox user, once IE8 crippled my XP Pro SP3 powered notebook that had a single core CPU & only 2GB DDR2-6400 RAM (it's max), Firefox 3.5 RC was a great browser, breathing new life into it, and for nearly 4 more years, would be my default browser. Mozilla got sloppy with rushed browser upgrades, and paid the price for 'fixing what wasn't broken'. 

This has now been in the works for over two years, and now it's users are beginning to see the changes first hand. Here's an article regarding some changes, why some plugins doesn't work, with the option to choose Firefox ESR (usually used by businesses, schools & other places where one must have a stable browser). This will be supported until sometime in 2018. 

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Problems-with-add-ons-plugins-or/Why-do-Java-Silverlight-Adobe-Acrobat-and-other-plugins-no/ta-p/31069

As to Pulse Audio, it's a native feature of many Linux distros, and sometimes one must really play with the app to make it work, it's not a feature of Firefox. :)

May be a good idea to go into the Package Manager, type in Pulse Audio & look for any missing recommends, it's a place to start. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 14 March 2017 - 03:48 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 JohnnyBeeGood

JohnnyBeeGood

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:46 AM

Did you by any chance get any system updates round about the same time? It's quite possible the 'missing' pulseaudio stuff was installed at that time.....however, I must confess that I thought Mint (and the 'buntus) had been using PulseAudio for a few years anyway.

I could, of course, be wrong.....

Hi Mike :)

I did update my Puppy immediately after burning my Live CD, but a window popped up saying no updates at this time.

Tahr Puppy64 6.0.6 uefi was the only version I found to install FF64  v51.

Mozilla claims to be sandboxing more and more processes within FF, so I decided to go with the latest non esr version so I could easily follow an update path. Or so I thought.

I updated FF51 to FF52 from within FF. First loading and a small notice popped up in the FF window claiming Pulse Audio was not installed.  Sound from a music CD did, however, work.

And the rest is history :D

As far as FF64 v51 goes, it does seem stable.

My addons are:

NoScript

AdBlockPlus

Better Privacy

Ghostery

HTTPS Everywhere

Mozilla Archive Format

SelfDestructing Cookies

and

Tab Mix Plus

Shame about FF.

I'm not ready to jump ship yet, but making changes that break things or are shipped incomplete isn't very reassuring.

John.

#11 JohnnyBeeGood

JohnnyBeeGood

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:57 AM

As to Pulse Audio, it's a native feature of many Linux distros, and sometimes one must really play with the app to make it work, it's not a feature of Firefox. :)

May be a good idea to go into the Package Manager, type in Pulse Audio & look for any missing recommends, it's a place to start. 

Cat

Hi Cat :)

I tried that.

But the install failed noting that one library was missing but I couldn't find a listing in any of the repositories.

Maybe this will change.

I'll keep looking.

When FF64 v53 comes out, maybe the situation will be corrected? (rhetorical question)

Nice thing about booting from a Live CD is that if something newly installed doesn't work correctly, you don't have to save it to the CD/DVD........:up:

John :)

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:44 AM

Cat

Hi Cat :)

I tried that.

But the install failed noting that one library was missing but I couldn't find a listing in any of the repositories.

Maybe this will change.

I'll keep looking.

When FF64 v53 comes out, maybe the situation will be corrected? (rhetorical question)

John :)

Hopefully you'll find the issue as to Pulse Audio, keep pounding! :)

As to FF53 fixing anything? Check your add-ons before & after upgrade. some of mine vanished into thin air over the last 2-3 releases. Was able to reinstall Better Privacy (now 'signed' added to name), which deletes LSO cookies otherwise hidden in Flash Player, there's where the add-on searches for these.

I'll feel for all once NoScript is gone, if there's any single security app of any browser that offers max protection, that's the one. Sometimes we have to 'temporarily' click allow '*****' site to see a news video clip. It's can be a PITA, yet it's for our good. :)

As far as using bootable CD's, that's exactly how I access my bank account, no traces are left on the drive, period. It doesn't give one total unrestricted access to say, Silk Road, yet is plenty secure to make transactions, read private emails, whatever with. And to think, look at all of the dumb criminals that were caught based on a forensics examination of their drive alone. Bits & pieces of this & that makes a case. If only the criminals would shift to bootable Linux media, our usershare would easily jump to 5% overnight! :lol:

I don't know how these labs finds evidence on a Linux partition, I've deleted these & using Recuva & MiniTool Power Data Recovery Wizard, have never recovered small files with the tool, maybe the partition structure, that's it, other than 'RAW' files. Maybe this is how Linux disposes of these. 

Hope that you get Pulse Audio working soon, you'll figure it out, or someone will have an answer. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:25 AM

The-Toolman, there's a chance that this Tutorial, while not directed towards your distro, may help. :)

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/642103/video-fix-sound-on-kali-linux-rolling-2016-no-sound-after-login/

I've also noticed as of late, no sound in YouTube videos, including the above, running Google Chrome. It's a thing that comes & goes, on one boot all is OK, on the next, may not be. Usually I'll then check the Settings, fiddle a bit, using VLC as a testbed with music running, until I have it going. Sometimes the settings gets thrown off, and while I don't have an answer for that, I have seen that the output source has changed & when corrected, am hearing music. 

This may be due to my wearing earbuds at times, which uses the onboard audio, then when I shift back to the monitor's speakers, no sound will come through. In a perfect world, this would adjust on the fly every time, however, that's not always the case, even with other OS's. If someone could answer why it's not automatically going back to the default source, or why settings doesn't hold across reboots, we'd have our solution. :)

Cat

#14 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:26 AM

Hey, Cat.

I, too, use headphones/earbuds from time to time.....especially for Skype calls, where I use a headphone/mic combo. My speaker system, however, uses the earphone out socket. I have a Goodman's powered system (with sub-woofer) which was originally designed for amplifying CD/MP3 players.....in fact, any portable audio device which uses a bog-standard 3.5 mm plug for its earphones. Because that's all that comes out of the back, apart from the speaker leads; a 1 metre length of cable, with a 3.5 mm plug on the end.

So I've simply used a 3.5 mm, 3m extension lead, from the earphone out socket on the back of the Compaq, to where I can plug it into the lead from the powered speakers. Works for me.....and it means that, essentially, nothing gets disturbed, since the same 'channel' is being used for everything.  :thumbup2:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 16 March 2017 - 06:32 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:06 AM

Hey All,

I have to decided it is better to go with a working browser than to try to battle all of the hoops to try and repair or fix a problem I didn't create.

Screw Mozilla they are probably why I was having problems in Puppy finding a server for any of their browsers.

I have moved to Chromium and it is working well although I do need to know where they hide their addons or extensions.

I know this is of topic OMG (a Thousand pardons) I have reinstalled my Puppy tahrpup to see how it works using Chromium.

Thanks guys.

Edited by The-Toolman, 16 March 2017 - 08:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users