Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can the CIA track you?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

Hello,

I was wondering, I know that the CIA most probably can constantly track where your smartphone is via Wi-Fi, Internet data & GPS. However, can they also do that if you have a feature phone without any non-cellular connections such as the Nokia 105 (2015)? Or can they track only the nearest cell tower through which you've made your last call, effectively always being literally one step behind you, in contrast to you using a smartphone and them knowing where you are at at all times?

I apologize if the question makes no sense as I am not all that knowledgable in the field of hi-tech.

In short: The CIA can track you pretty well if you have a smartphone, but can only track the last cell tower you've made contact with if you have a Nokia 105 (2015) - True or Not?

Thank you! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

CIA is not authorized to do anything 'domestically'. Meaning they 'technically' do not have authority in the US. That belongs to the FBI. CIA is tasked with foreign agents outside the US. Same setup for the UK, MI 5 and MI 6 foreign and domestic agencies.

As for tracking you. Look up Stingray phone surveillance. In the US it is even used by local police agencies. Don't just read the Wiki articles. Find the white papers on it's capabilities. Ongoing discussions about it's abuse and misuse abound. As for CIA tracking you? If you're outside the US, plain and simple they can do it, very easily if they make you a target.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:16 PM

Thank you for the response! :)
So basically if you don't want to be tracked in near-real time, don't bring your phone, any phone, with you when you are going outside.
Sheesh! Makes you really think how they never found that airplane which got lost somewhere in the vast Indian Ocean some time ago. I mean, weren't there close to 100 people presumably all with cell phones and computers on board, on top of all the tech inside the aircraft itself...

Anyways, thanks for being so helpful on pretty much all posts which I have made. Make note, your help is apreciated!
:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 10 March 2017 - 07:19 PM.

#4 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

Spidey: Android-based Stingray Detector: Watch them watch you: an innovative way to detect cell-phone spying. https://jtwarren.github.io/files/spidey.pdf

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:49 AM

The GSM system can geolocate devices with higher precision than just the last cell. Whether this is permanently done or not is another question.

Sheesh! Makes you really think how they never found that airplane which got lost somewhere in the vast Indian Ocean some time ago. I mean, weren't there close to 100 people presumably all with cell phones and computers on board, on top of all the tech inside the aircraft itself...

That's easy to explain: yes there were cell phones on the plane, but there were not cell towers nearby.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 11 March 2017 - 04:52 AM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:02 AM

Thank you for the answer! :)
I hadn't thought about that - they aren't any cell phone towers in the waters of the ocean.

So basically if you don't have a mobile phone there is no way for anyone to find you ever electronically, via a computer, apart from some algorith through the public places' cameras in the big cities.
I guess government officials who track dangerous criminals the old-school way - by going around, asking & questioning different people - won't be getting laid off anytime soon.
:)

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,754 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:24 AM

When you interact with systems in general, there are ways to track you.

Use your credit card in a store, and it is recorded that your credit card was used at that location.

But the fact that it can be done, doesn't mean that it is done.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:37 AM

When you interact with systems in general, there are ways to track you.

Use your credit card in a store, and it is recorded that your credit card was used at that location.

But the fact that it can be done, doesn't mean that it is done.

Yes, I agree. I was just being curious about what would I do, as funny as it seems. I had a funky dream where for some reason I was evading government persecution, lol. :D That's why I forgot to include credit & debit cards as I am not an owner of one. Plus, these whole talks lately about WikiLeaks got me somewhat thinking, you know.
Anyways, thanks for your help, once again. :)

#9 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,754 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:44 AM

You're welcome.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users