Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery to Factory Image on Hard Drive Partition

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 UppinRunnin

UppinRunnin

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

I upgraded to Win 10. Want to restore system image from factory to wipe all clean and reinstall Win 10.

No F8. Everything is different.

Found a recovery tool. Says it can't find an image but it is still there on D: partition.

I am stuck in airplane mode on a desktop without wifi. No internet access.

Already reinstalled Windows with retained files option.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:40 PM

You should be able to just download the Windows 10 ISO from microsoft and reinstall it after burning it onto a thumb drive or DVD as long as your current Windows 10 is activated.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:05 PM

You may also be able to download a Windows 10 image for your machine from the manufacturer of your machine.  I just did this for the new Dell I bought for my dad.

#4 UppinRunnin

UppinRunnin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:50 PM

I can't connect to the internet to download. The machine thinks I am on an airplane. Desktop. Can't just turn it off. No settings for it.

I did make a recovery media flash. But I think that is an image of my current system? I want all wiped clean not an image of boot record, registry etc. in case any malware etc is hiding somewhere.

Wanted a factory reset so all is wiped clean and necessary files, drivers, settings, etc are restored.

If I reformat C: then install Win 10, is that basically the same as a factory restore or will other things be needed?

Why would they lock me out of restoring to factory. What if someone has a rootkit. Reinstalling Windows is not enough.

Edited by UppinRunnin, 10 March 2017 - 08:01 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

It is not unusual for machines upgraded from earlier versions of Windows to not be able to be restored to factory which would involve a "Windows downgrade".

It is a simple matter to do either a Reset installation or to download the Windows 10 ISO to bootable media and do a fresh install.  In either case the entire Windows 10 OS is replaced.

If you're worried about a rootkit then wipe the drive and reinstall Windows 10 from scratch.  It is my opinion that you're reading way too much "disaster" into something that's more likely a fluke.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 UppinRunnin

UppinRunnin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

I also made a boot rescue cd. Would that work like Windows on a blank reformatted C: drive?

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

If what you're talking about is a system recovery disc, then no.  That expects you have a system image from which to recover.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 UppinRunnin

UppinRunnin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

Windows Security/firewall getting error on load. Can't start manually.

Cortana stopped working.

Audio icon reports a problem. Not there or something. Can't remember.

Sfc/scannow won't work

Chkdsk reported index errors. Repair mode.

Still same problems.

Automatic repair : "can't repair"

Kaspersky Rescue scan still comes clean.

#9 UppinRunnin

UppinRunnin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

AP mode is not stuck on. Not blue. So started with a network problem then.

PC Reset info is vague. I found an MS article that said a full reset would restore to factory. System does not say that. Says will clean all for resale.

Does registry & boot record get replaced not just cleared/reset?

Not sure if Win7 will be restored using factory image or if Win 10 is default now.

How can it clean everything if Win 10 is still kept on C: to reinstall it?

Such vague info available.

Edited by UppinRunnin, 11 March 2017 - 01:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users