Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Might Have Messed Up My Audio Quality?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wolffie03

Wolffie03

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

(This is not a virus post, surprisingly.)

As an added note: I own an HP ENVY desktop but idk what version it is. I just know it's black and red in design for the desktop tower.

So what happened was I had installed Bandicam (Not a torrented or pirated version; I bought the license myself.) around February 25th to record some game footage - after this incident, I noticed my audio was super flat sounding and did not sound full at all. In order to fix this, I had to use a system restore file - that I can't find anymore which I will explain in a moment - from an earlier date to fix the audio.

Then about 3 days ago, I had a small scare regarding my graphics driver in which my desktop turned black for awhile while watching a YouTube video - I couldn't click anything on the desktop but Google Chrome was still clickable - but not wanting to take chances or risks, I hard powered off my desktop. (It made the black desktop go away but when I had to reinstall my drivers card, I recognized the black desktop again but it went away this time. So my fear was unjustified.) After that incident, I can't find my system restore file from February 8th and the audio quality is legitimately painful for my ears now. Even my Beats Audio Control Panel is all wonky now. For example, the picture here shows how the in-ear settings should be like: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/imageServlet?DOCID=emr_na-c03727043-1/c03760348.jpg

Well, problem is the in-ear settings work and are as the picture displays it but ever since I put reset on the program, the original preset for the on-ear settings is permanently gone and stuck on the default/flat sounding setting. Can anyone help me either get the original equalizer settings back or find a way to get the system restore file? (Unfortunately, the earliest date on my system restore is February 27th; there is no February 8th or any other date.) Thank you.

Edited by Wolffie03, 10 March 2017 - 11:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:50 AM

There should be sticker on the back or side of the desktop showing the model number. From that model number you should be able to download and reinstall your audio driver.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07555

#3 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

I just tried doing this; didn't fix anything even with the reinstall of the codec. The audio still sounds flat. Heck, I even tried to use the earliest system restore - February 17th - and I ended up with a "system restore has failed to complete" error. (Something along those lines.)

Guess I should reformat my entire drive at this point? The audio is just painful at this point. (Literally and figuratively.)

I'm not sure if reinstalling bandicam will do much of anything. I did notice one peculiar thing; whenever I changed the audio codec (for audio capture), the OS would also change in sound quality.

Edited by Wolffie03, 10 March 2017 - 12:20 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

If reinstalling the audio driver did not help I am not sure what other things to try as you have pretty much covered all the bases. Does anything show up when you run dxdiag at the Run box?

Also does anything change when you stop and start the Windows Audio Service?

#5 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

dxdiag shows this regarding the sound devices:

Description: Speakers / Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
 Default Sound Playback: Yes
 Default Voice Playback: Yes
 Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76F3&SUBSYS_103C2AF7&REV_1002
 Manufacturer ID: 1
 Product ID: 100
 Type: WDM
 Driver Name: stwrt64.sys
 Driver Version: 6.10.6496.0000 (English)
 Driver Attributes: Final Retail
 WHQL Logo'd: Yes
 Date and Size: 3/28/2014 03:55:22, 551936 bytes
 Other Files: 
 Driver Provider: IDT
 HW Accel Level: Basic
 Cap Flags: 0xF1F
 Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
 Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
 Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
 HW Memory: 0
 Voice Management: No
 EAX™ 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
 I3DL2™ Listen/Src: No, No
 Sensaura™ ZoomFX™: No

Disabling the Windows Audio Service surprisingly does not do anything. The audio/sound is still running. o_o

I give up. This computer just doesn't seem to like my oldest system restore that had everything fixed. Thanks for replying, though.

Edited by Wolffie03, 10 March 2017 - 12:44 PM.

#6 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

Also to add, the message about my system restore is an 0x81000204.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:19 AM

Sorry for the delay response. I think at this point the other option is a clean isntall, not an optimal solution. 

I did find this HP link that may provide a clue. Hope it helps. It's quite a long thread.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Beats-Audio-EQ-Setting-General-Sound-Advice/td-p/524739

#8 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

Sorry for the delay response. I think at this point the other option is a clean isntall, not an optimal solution. 

I did find this HP link that may provide a clue. Hope it helps. It's quite a long thread.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Beats-Audio-EQ-Setting-General-Sound-Advice/td-p/524739

Actually, I managed to find a solution and that included having to uninstall my sound driver and replace it with RealTek HD Audio. However, I seem to see lately it's been mislabeled as a virus for some people? It's not found on my System32 and is on my program files folder - apparently the legitimate one is found in program files so I'm in the clear but I hope someone can look this up. I did get the driver officially from here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Now my audio sounds crystal clean - as clean as it can get to my iPod sound - with a nice bass booster included in the driver. Forget Beats Audio, I may not use it anymore. Not worth the earaches I had. :/

(I take back the stuff about the game. Managed to do some tweaking regarding exclusive control and now the audio is kept; just need a confirmation the website I got the driver off from isn't one that plants a virus. @_@)

Edited by Wolffie03, 13 March 2017 - 11:40 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

If you downloaded from the realtek site I highly doubt it's infected and is a false positive. You can always upload the file to Virustotal. Thanks for the update. If you open Control Panel and select small or large icons instead of Category View you should see a Realtek icon for your HD audio.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 March 2017 - 11:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users