Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nike - reputation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:17 AM

Quick question I was always curious about:

Are Nike clothing & products considered luxurious and expensive in the United States of America? Or are they considered perfectly regular when it comes to their pricetags?

Thank you!
:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

IMO...anything with a Nike logo/tag is severely overpriced.  The items they sell today...all spring from advertising campaigns launched (and imbedded in the minds of many) years ago and the Nike name does not connote a superior product of any type.  The initial Nike market strategy captured the sports shoe (basketball, running) market and expanded from that base in the U.S.

Worth a look:  http://sales-management-slides.com/marketing-strategy-of-nike/ .

Louis

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

Thank you for the response!
So, I confirmed my suspicions.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,523 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:19 PM

Apple and Nike are two of the brands that to me have cult followings. It doesn't matter what they are selling. It's a must have product regardless of quality. Long gone are the days that Apple once used this slogan.........

apple-costs-less-button.jpg

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:49 PM

I point blank refuse to buy or wear clothing made by them.

Lets t hope Nike has stopped these sorts of practices.

Workers at Vietnam Nike shoe manufacturing plants make $.20 an hour or $1.60 per day. The average cost of three meals is $2 a day, meaning that most people skip meals throughout the day. During the first three months of employment, all workers receive $37 per month, which is below the minimum wage of $45 per month in Vietnam. Nike claims that the workers are paid a lower wage because the law in Vietnam allows for a training wage less than the minimum wage. Just two percent of Nike’s 630 million dollar operating budget could raise the salary of all 25,000 Vietnamese workers from a meager $1.60 a day to a livable wage of $3 a day.

http://ihscslnews.org/view_article.phpid32

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for the response!
I'm curious, considering that the iPhone 7 is the fastest-performing smartphone ever sold, and it costs $850, which is give or take 10% max on par with the price of other companies' flagship devices, such as the Google Pixel, do you think that this particular product - the iPhone 7 - is overpriced?

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,523 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for the question. I respectfully abstain my opinion, as I am not objective when it comes to assessing value for Apple products. :)

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Anon.

Anon.

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:03 AM

IMO...anything with a Nike logo/tag is severely overpriced.

This.

They're much like Sony. Having exorbitant price tags, everywhere. And not necessarily at par with the quality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users