Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Airplane Mode - Stuck - Desktop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 UppinRunnin

UppinRunnin

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:13 AM

I upgraded to Win 10 a few months ago. It has now flipped into airplane mode with no way to turn it off. No internet access.

Dell XPS8300

Tried to factory restore but system now says there is nothing to restore from. I still see it on the partion drive. Want to factory reset!

Reinstalled Win 10. Still AP mode.

AP feature is not listed in settings to turn off/on.

No backup power source to unplug.

Hooked up a newer modem. Still AP mode.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,109 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:56 PM

What shows when you display the notification/action center?  Can you post a screen shot with the notification center open?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 UppinRunnin

UppinRunnin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:46 PM

The Airplane Mode icon shows when I click on network at task bar. The notif action center does not show it. It shows Tablet Mode, Network, Note, snd All Settings.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:48 AM

On some Dell machines holding down the function key (the one marked Fn) and pressing the PrintScreen key turns on wi-fi.

See here

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/help-my-windows-10-is-stuck-in-airplane-mode/2/

#5 UppinRunnin

UppinRunnin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:16 AM

Thanks. Do not have a Fn key. I wonder if buying a keyboard that has one would take care of the problem.

I have been trying a netsh.exe command as a substitute without success. Don't think it is specific for AP mode.

This is so ridiculous. I have been spending over a day on this so far. You would think MS would have addressed it by now.

Edited by UppinRunnin, 11 March 2017 - 01:17 PM.

#6 UppinRunnin

UppinRunnin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

Found a tutorial with screenshots. Looks like the AP mode icon is always there. It is lit up blue when on. Mine is gray so off. Something else is wrong that I can't get on the internet.

Diagnostics came up fine and ISP says it is okay. Even tried another modem. Updating drivers just says current best.

Edited by UppinRunnin, 11 March 2017 - 09:26 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

Try the following steps in order.

Delete your Wifi profile if you are using Wifi and create a new one.

Open an elevated command prompt and type the following commands. Windows key + X cmd as admin

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot

Disable IPv6 in your adapter settings

If the above does not help Microsoft has a help page specific to Windows 10 connection issues. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 March 2017 - 05:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users