Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desperate... Micro-stutter, Jittery/ Choppy movement in game with mouse. Mobo?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:50 PM

I had a motherboard that i had one time nothing, but issues with memory and BSOD constantly. Happy to throw it in the garbage after getting a new one.

Edited by technonymous, 19 March 2017 - 10:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 Wooohah

Wooohah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:11 AM

Yeah im really suspecting the motherboard. I've got no problem replacing it, money isn't an issue. Its just the real anxiety ill get another bad board. I originally had a budget of $150 for a motherboard and I ended up spending $200 on it. Got an ASUS Z170 Pro... despite that i still have problems lol.
Right now im trying to decide between the ASUS Maximus IX Hero, MSI Z270 Gaming M7 or possibly... if I wanted to go real overkill... MSI Titanium Z270X...
Really difficult deciding which board to get haha.

Ill probably replace the board first, if the CPU is a problem i can replace that later. Im hoping if I can confirm its the CPU now, ill swap it out in one move :/ 

But some of these problems do sound motherboard related huh :/ I know theres something wrong hardware wise, whether it be a malfunction or some weird compatibility issue. But I cant narrow it down

#33 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,389 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

Well you should take the pc into a shop and see if they have the diagnostic equipment to test the mobo and cpu. They have extra parts on hand to swap out if they suspect things. You know what I mean? At least then you will know what the problem is instead of guesswork and spending more money. If not I honestly would start with the motherboard. CPU's are tested extensively before they go out the door. Buying a motherboard there is so many other mix of components and microchips and all kinds of stuff that can be bad. Without proper diagnostic hardware equipment you'll never know what kind of underlining issues the MOBO has. Usually anything wrong with a cpu is catastrophic and it's not going to fire at all. However, mounting a cpu can cause pins to be bent.

I had a fella that had a on-board nic issue. Manager would not detect it. First thing is to suspect a motherboard partially burned out (southchip) right? After pulling the cpu I found 4 bent pins. I straightened them out under magnification with a needle point, but it only worked a while. The spring pins just went back to not making a good contact again. So at that point you can get a aftermarket pci nic replacement or get a whole new board. I suggested replacing the mobo as things like that might cause other issues and eventually short out the cpu and motherboard entirely. Yes, it can be a weird compatibility issue that will never be resolved till you find the right combination of hardware that is willing to work together right. The cpu is supposed to work in the slot it's made for. Most of the compatibility issues is based off the motherboard. Bios versions etc. The manufacturer may not even know they have an issue. So if you have bad foundation and you build on that. Well you're going to have a crooked house, broken windows, doors that don't close or open. lol. Make sense? Go with Gigabyte or MSI this time around.

Edited by technonymous, 20 March 2017 - 12:49 PM.

#34 Wooohah

Wooohah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

Yeah I understand what you're saying. The motherboard arguably is the most important part of the entire system to be honest. Its like the spine of the human body, if your limbs aren't attached to it properly they won't function well, or if you break your spine, you're gonna die.
All the problems I'm facing seem to just be nonsensical, they're seemingly random, pop up randomly. Never know what's actually causing it, I've gotten a bunch of weird symptoms. From symptoms of the Ram, to the GPU to the CPU to the software. I'm certain not all my parts are failing. And I know a motherboard can cause attached components to not function properly even when they're physically fine.
I'd considered spending money to have a PC repair shop look at it, but I'm uncertain if they'll be able to find it. Unless I pay a lot of money, they're likely just going to run standard diagnostics of like stress testing and what not. 
I figured a diagnostics is gonna cost at least $100 + tax ($110). That's half the cost of a replacement motherboard, I didn't want to pay for the diagnostics, get told its the motherboard and have to pay all that money.
I've narrowed it down and it pretty much *should* be the motherboard... logically speaking haha.

Some kind of strange compatibility issue is definitely possible, I'm 99.9% sure its not the GPU since I've tried two. Not the monitor since it shouldn't cause these issues. Probably not the PSU, since its just a PSU. SSD... Probably not as well, its basically one of the most common higher end SSDs. CPU... also highly unlikely i7 6700K is one of the most common CPUs. That pretty much just leaves me with the Ram, which is Gskill TridentZ 3200, which is also super common.
I made sure to buy high end, quality, COMMON parts because I was afraid of compatibility :/

But you're right, I'm gonna be swapping out the motherboard. That's 100% getting done. But would you agree that it likely shouldn't be a compatibility issue with my other components based on how common they are?

Thanks! 

#35 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,389 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

Yes, I agree starting with the motherboard. Since you've mentioned more of your issues this points more towards the motherboard. Like you said all the components aren't going to go at once. It sounds like you got yourself a motherboard that was made on a Monday and reworked on a Friday. I had many issues like this & I could not nail it down. Come to find out it was the motherboard after replacing it. Never could figure out what exactly was the cause just that replacing the motherboard all the issues vanished. There is a million things on a motherboard so it can be anything really. CPU's on the other hand go through a very long manufacturing testing process from one place. However, motherboards are made of many manufactured parts from all over the world. Just one of those components fail and it's a crucial part, it's Game Over. Good luck to you and I hope the next board is better.

Edited by technonymous, 20 March 2017 - 09:22 PM.

#36 Wooohah

Wooohah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

Yeah I agree, a CPU is just a chip, I've heard of people dropping their CPUs and they still work (can't say the same about motherboard *cough* linus) 
Pretty frustrating overall yeah haha. 

But can I ask? Would a faulty motherboard cause two CPU's to function differently? For example I believe I noticed a drop in performance in places when I went from my i5 6600K to the i7 6700K, screen tearing/ stuttering. Hence why I was suspecting the CPU. 

And thank you :) I hope the next motherboard I get doesn't have issues

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Wooohah