Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desperate... Micro-stutter, Jittery/ Choppy movement in game with mouse. Mobo?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Wooohah

Wooohah

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:50 AM

I'm really frustrated, new build and I keep running into problems. I'm suspecting there's some problems with my motherboard, so that's gonna get swapped soon.

But here's my issue. When playing games I seem to get rather noticeable stutter/ jitter. If I move around with my keyboard (running forward/ side to side) it'll be rather smooth.
However if I use my mouse and I pan from side to side, or especially when I'm running forward and move from side to side, It will be rather stuttery and jittery. Like microstutter.
Movement should be smooth, but for me its like a tick-tick-tick-tick-tick.

I'm using a ASUS Pg279Q which has Gsync with an EVGA 1080 FTW. I can get anywhere from 95-144 FPS in games, even if the frame rates are constant and I'm not experiencing any FPS drops/ CPU spikes I'll still get stutter.
I upgraded from a 1070 FTW and a 1080P 60hz monitor, I believe with Vsync off I experienced noticeable stutter there as well.

I was wondering why after I got my Gsync monitor that I wasn't really noticing much of a difference between 60hz and 100-144hz.
Its strange that if I use my 1080P 60hz monitor and turn on Vsync, the stuttering is significantly less noticeable, arguably in BF1 it's simply not even there.

I've tested this in BF1, BF4, Battlefront and Rainbow Six. Seems like Rainbow 6 stutters the most, followed by BF4 and BF1. Battlefront gets no stuttering.
Coincidentally, Rainbow 6 is the least graphically intensive, followed by BF4 and BF1.
I can maintain 144 FPS in BF4 and Rainbow 6, yet I still get stuttering.

Things I've tried:
-Made sure Windows mouse speed was set to default (5) 
-Tried changing refresh to 60hz on pg279q and turning off Gsync and using Vsync 
-Tried turning off Gsync and Vsync and capping FPS 
-Tried a different mouse (Using Logitech G402, went to G502)
-Made sure logitech drivers were installed
-Tried changing polling rate/ DPI 

Video: (Apologize for potato quality, if you look specifically at the gun, you will notice it stuttering and being choppy when it should be smooth)

Thank you in advance to anyone who might have any insight or can help me in any way!

Specs:
i7 6700k (no OC) w/ Corsair H55 
EVGA 1080 FTW 
ASUS Z170 Pro
Gskill TridentZ 3200mhz 16GB 
EVGA 750W G2
Samsung 850 EVO SSD (250GB) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:37 AM

I see your video, but I doubt it is hardware related. You are playing 4 year and older games. So with that said maybe you can try out a few things..

What type and speed is your ISP?

DSL is typically very poor choice for gaming because of the interleaving FEC (Forward Error Correction). This causes high latency ping times. Normally 200+. Add that to server MMO return TCP ACK packets and you have even more latency making your game play choppy as hell. Back in the day playing WoW (World Of Warcraft) We used Leatrix Latency Fix. This tool quickly edited the registry to turn off ACKnowledgement packets from the server. Dropping those packets cuts ping times in half. Works with many MMO type games not just WoW.

Another thing you can try is turning off Vision blur, or changing other graphics settings, shadowing etc. One of them might have adverse effects with your new video card and/or drivers.

Another thing you could try is limiting your FPS. With something like....game.lockFps [framerate]

How good is the server you connect to? Location, ping etc...

Edited by technonymous, 10 March 2017 - 08:39 AM.

#3 Wooohah

Wooohah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

I see your video, but I doubt it is hardware related. You are playing 4 year and older games. So with that said maybe you can try out a few things..

DSL is typically very poor choice for gaming because of the interleaving FEC (Forward Error Correction). This causes high latency ping times. Normally 200+. Add that to server MMO return TCP ACK packets and you have even more latency making your game play choppy as hell. Back in the day playing WoW (World Of Warcraft) We used Leatrix Latency Fix. This tool quickly edited the registry to turn off ACKnowledgement packets from the server. Dropping those packets cuts ping times in half. Works with many MMO type games not just WoW.

Another thing you can try is turning off Vision blur, or changing other graphics settings, shadowing etc. One of them might have adverse effects with your new video card and/or drivers.

Another thing you could try is limiting your FPS. With something like....game.lockFps [framerate]

Thank you for your reply.

I'm using Centurylink DSL Specifically VDSL-2, Ethernet wired connection. 21 MB/S download speed. Ping of about 7 via speedtest. In games I try to choose servers where my ping is around 25-30 or less. 
Unfortunately DSL is the only option I have in my area, I have no clue why living in a high end neighborhood only gets me DSL. Up until a few months ago the highest speed I could get in my area was 20 MB/S. 

You bring this up, this is a fantastic point. My ping is fine, I'm not getting 200ms ping. Even if I connect to Eastern US servers, my ping will maybe be 80 or 90. But normally I get about 25ms ping.
HOWEVER, my internet runs steady but there are lots of RS FEC corrections within modem configuration. Centurylink has sent tons of Techs to come and try to fix this.... but no avail. Although, the internet for the most part is steady. Pinging for example google with command prompt while playing a game, I will get a steady response. (I believe it was about 7-10ms) 

I set Vision blur to 0%, but honestly there shouldn't be any problems :/

I use Gsync with Vsync, so I cap the FPS at my max refresh rate. Ive tried it without Vsync as well. The only situation where I don't get stuttering is 1080P 60hz with Vsync on. This introduced a lot of input lag... however no stuttering. This of course does not work, because Id like to use my $800 monitor...
Ive noticed that playing BF1/4 in tanks I won't get stuttering when I pan around. What those two have in common... is input lag.

Battlefield 4 is the only game here that is 4 years old, Battlefield 1 is from late last year, Rainbow six is from 2015. Minecraft is exhibiting the same things. Essentially all of my games but Battlefront are exhibiting the same thing, so I think the game itself should be ok.

I'm doing a bit more troubleshooting later today. I was suspecting something related to internet as well. Singleplayer would be smooth to an extent, I think I notice it a bit but honestly not that much. I believe it really is mostly stuttering in Multiplayer. 

#4 Wooohah

Wooohah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

I did a test, internet isn't the greatest. 

I'm noticing that the stuttering is a little less in singleplayer, but still existent. Multiplayer just makes it worse. So the problem is existent both online and offline. I'm therefore unsure if I can blame this on internet.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,389 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:26 PM

If it is doing that on most games then there might be a global setting on the video card that's causing it.

You're not doing any overclocking of the video card or cpu right?

When you installed the video card you placed it into the top pcie 16x slot correct?

What are the temps and clock speed of the video card?

Maybe try down clock the gpu by 50mhz.

Edited by technonymous, 10 March 2017 - 10:27 PM.

#6 Wooohah

Wooohah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

I run my GPU on the default settings. I just run it on Max performance, single display mode (I have on display) and I turn on Vsync and Gsync. (Ive tried it with/ without Vsync or Gsync).

no overclocking on CPU or GPU. 

top PCIE slot, yep.

Temps (on load) 65C MAX. 1950ish GPU clock and 5000ish Memory clock.

I'm going to try and run the GPU on debug mode, since I have an EVGA FTW version. It should downclock it by about 100mhz

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,389 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

I am fresh out of idea's maybe this is a hardware issue. If downclocking the gpu helps, then that might suggest that the video card is partially damaged or just not running well with it's stock config with factory OC. Maybe a power issue. All kinds of crazy things can happen. Cpu water block dripping down onto the video card. Warpage and damage to pcie slot because it's so heavy.  Caps blown out. Sometimes they can have a lot of damage and  will still run believe it or not. I one time pulled a video card out that had 5 caps all with popped tops and leakage all over it and it still ran. The customer only complained of similar issue's with unusual behavior during gaming loads, jitters, lockups and things like that. Took apart a friends computer and noticed there was an inch of water flooding the bottom of the case. I would say get in there pull it and inspect it and seat it again. Just check and make sure nothing stupid crazy is going on.

#8 Wooohah

Wooohah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

The GPU is new, I had the same issues with my 1070 FTW that was new.
Im actually getting another brand new 1080 FTW since the fan in my current one is having issues, fan still functions, temps are perfectly fine but its just a bit loose or too tight making a clicking noise.

Im really stuck and out of ideas. I'm installing my games on a different SSD and im going to retest. Its really difficult to tell when my games are stuttering or if its just the screen tear. Like on my 1080P 60hz monitor I believe I get stuttering without Vsync, but the screen tears so badly, its tearing across the screen basically every 0.5-0.75" so I dont know if its the excessive screen tear or stuttering.

Im running a Corsair H55, its a closed loop and I run a clear side panel, so im sure its not dripping water. Ive inspected the motherboard for blown or bulging capacitors and it seems to be fine. 
I'm about 99% sure the GPU is fine, the GPU is the last thing id consider to be honest.

I'm fresh out of ideas too honestly. All new hardware, shouldnt be having problems. 

You mentioned power problems, how do I check for power problems? Ive checked the voltages in HW monitor and they look to be fine, BIOS shows voltages fine too. 

#9 Wooohah

Wooohah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:58 PM

This is a nightmare honestly, its turning into my last PC all over again... My past PC had issues with freezing, not stuttering... everything was smooth but it would get mini freezes every few minutes.
Honestly never found out what was actually causing the problem, Im pretty sure it was the PSU. I scrapped it all and just started a new build... now this new build is having problems.

Im really not sure what to do next, Id send it to a PC repair shop to get a checkup, but they'll probably do the same things ive already done myself and give it back to me saying they didn't find anything wrong.
I'm going to do a bit more troubleshooting, but it seems like I get really bad stuttering if I don't have Vsync on... 

I'm really straining my memory here, but do you think its the CPU? This build before was running an i5 6600k and I upgraded to the 6700K.
I remember the first game I played was battlefield 1, singleplayer. With an i5 6600k, GTX 1070 on a 1080P 60hz monitor. I didn't run with Vsync and I didnt run any caps... Game played really smooth and had no issues at all, not even screen tearing.
I believe I logged into multiplayer as well and it was smooth apart from the stuttering from the CPU bottleneck. I believe battlefront and Battlefield 4 were fine as well without Vsync...

I think after I swapped to my i7 6700k, I started needing to run Vsync with my 1080P 60hz monitor because Id be getting really bad stuttering and or screen tear...
I'm kinda suspecting the CPU, but I dont remember well enough. I don't have my i5 6600k now either.
I played battlefield 1 without VSync honestly for maybe a day.... then I turned on Vsync because the CPU bottleneck was causing stuttering.
I mainly played BF1 until I upgraded my CPU too, so I really cant compare as well.... +++

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

The GPU is new, I had the same issues with my 1070 FTW that was new.
Im actually getting another brand new 1080 FTW since the fan in my current one is having issues, fan still functions, temps are perfectly fine but its just a bit loose or too tight making a clicking noise.

Im really stuck and out of ideas. I'm installing my games on a different SSD and im going to retest. Its really difficult to tell when my games are stuttering or if its just the screen tear. Like on my 1080P 60hz monitor I believe I get stuttering without Vsync, but the screen tears so badly, its tearing across the screen basically every 0.5-0.75" so I dont know if its the excessive screen tear or stuttering.

Im running a Corsair H55, its a closed loop and I run a clear side panel, so im sure its not dripping water. Ive inspected the motherboard for blown or bulging capacitors and it seems to be fine. 
I'm about 99% sure the GPU is fine, the GPU is the last thing id consider to be honest.

I'm fresh out of ideas too honestly. All new hardware, shouldnt be having problems. 

You mentioned power problems, how do I check for power problems? Ive checked the voltages in HW monitor and they look to be fine, BIOS shows voltages fine too. 

Ok then I would be sure the video drivers, and motherboard chipset drivers are current. Including the bios. Yes, I would agree it isn't gpu related. However, I wanted to be sure and certain that nothing goofy is going on water leaks etc. That is step one to troubleshooting get in there and physically check things. There might be something wrong with the bios and/or SSD related. Bad bios chomping away at your SSD. I would join forums and start asking around. This might be a ongoing thing that hasn't yet been addressed in drivers. There is a wealth of info in those AMD, and NVIDIA forums. Do some research on the motherboard and cpu. Again, if this a common thing then there is going to be others out there posting same things with info and possible solutions. It just may be the motherboard. Check the cable for the video card. What kind of cable is it. If you have a extra one swap it out and try it. Buy a nice beefy shielded one. It can't hurt right? Try a different monitor if you have one and see if same things are happening at different resolutions. Turn off or on AA or adjust it. As I said earlier, some settings can have different effects on different video cards. It's good you're trying different SSD, If you got multiple drives check file transfer speeds and speeds between them. It may be a paging problem. If yours is off try allowing windows to manage it and see if there is a change in performance. If it's on maybe try turning it off if you got a lot of memory. Try changing the performance from windows services to programs.

Oh and few other things you can do to increase performance transfer speeds for a mechanical drives, and that is short stroking it. If you got large games on a mechanical drive it might be wise to change formats.. Trying different formats like FAT32 and Exfat for large drives at 32k cluster.

Stroking the drive... Partitioning it right before the transfer speeds where the performance begins to drop off.  If it starts dropping off at 300GB, you want to partition before that at like 250GB. Turn on SMART in bios and use a SMART utility to check for errors. Enable power cfg profiles for the hd allowing it to idle as you just doing idle things on the pc. Also turn the pc off when not in use. Do not hibernate or sleep the system. Not allowing the system to power down will make short work of your mechanical drives. So powering down and shutting off the pc will of course increase the PoH (power on hours) lifespan of the drive. Literally doubling the lifespan.

Edited by technonymous, 15 March 2017 - 02:48 PM.

#11 Wooohah

Wooohah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:51 PM

GPU drivers are 378.66, so basically the latest. Motherboard chipset drivers are also the latest, they may be outdated by a month at the most. BIOS is current. Ive checked everything and everything seems to look fine, no bulging/ cracked capacitors or burn marks.
I've tried installing games on a different SSD, exact same results.

Ive posted in Facebook groups, EVGA forums, Toms Hardware, Nvidia forums, ASUS Rog forums and here... so far nothing's been able to get an idea whats causing problems :/ 
Problems I'm encountering are NOT common at all, I always seem to run into those one out of a million types of problems that baffle people.
Trust me... Ive usually done all the troubleshooting a sensible person would do at this point :( 

Ive tried different monitors/ cables. 1440P 144hz and 1080P 60hz get similar results. Going from 144hz to 60hz... 60hz looks stuttery overall so its a bit difficult to test on the 1080P. 

Page file size, I leave that up to windows. 

I'm not using mechanical drives for most my games honestly, I have two SSDs and thats enough for my main games, loading times all matter on those games. I could probably test with the HDD but id probably get similar results too.

I'm really not sure what to do next apart from just starting to swap parts... Ive tried different resolutions/ monitors, different refresh rates, different settings with V/Gsync, different in game settings, different drives, different drivers, clean installs... 
I'm swapping the motherboard probably, but id like to make sure where the problem is, so if its for example also the CPU... I might as well swap the CPU then as well in one move...

I am noticing the stuttering definately happens more in multiplayer, arguably singleplayer stutters a little bit but its nothing compared to multiplayer. Multiplayer I can definately notice it, its almost like I have motion blur on (when I dont).

Really appreciate the help man :) 
I will be switching to Comcast 100mb/s service soon... so if its the internet.... I should know 

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,389 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

GPU drivers are 378.66, so basically the latest. Motherboard chipset drivers are also the latest, they may be outdated by a month at the most. BIOS is current. Ive checked everything and everything seems to look fine, no bulging/ cracked capacitors or burn marks.

Ive posted in Facebook groups, EVGA forums, Toms Hardware, Nvidia forums, ASUS Rog forums and here... so far nothing's been able to get an idea whats causing problems :/ 
Problems I'm encountering are NOT common at all, I always seem to run into those one out of a million types of problems that baffle people.
Trust me... Ive usually done all the troubleshooting a sensible person would do at this point :( 

Ive tried different monitors/ cables. 1440P 144hz and 1080P 60hz get similar results. Going from 144hz to 60hz... 60hz looks stuttery overall so its a bit difficult to test on the 1080P. 

I'm not using mechanical drives for most my games honestly, I have two SSDs and thats enough for my main games, loading times all matter on those games. I could probably test with the HDD but id probably get similar results too.

I'm really not sure what to do next apart from just starting to swap parts... Ive tried different resolutions/ monitors, different refresh rates, different settings with V/Gsync, different in game settings, different drives, different drivers, clean installs... 
I'm swapping the motherboard probably, but id like to make sure where the problem is, so if its for example also the CPU... I might as well swap the CPU then as well in one move...

I am noticing the stuttering definately happens more in multiplayer, arguably singleplayer stutters a little bit but its nothing compared to multiplayer. Multiplayer I can definately notice it, its almost like I have motion blur on (when I dont).

I will be switching to Comcast 100mb/s service soon... so if its the internet.... I should know 

It's hard to diagnose. There are issues like this all the time that the remedy is throw money at it till goes away. As we discussed earlier, I used to have DSL and it's horrible especially multiplayer. I got a dry dsl line and called the telco to switch me to fast path. It was about 5/1mb then. Made it a little better, but far worse for other tcp things like phone. Then interleaving had to be put back on. Cable is far better. I got a package, but I think it's $60 or so for Blast which is 200/10mbit I see over 200 down and 12-13 mbit up with Xfinity speed tests and around 30 ping. That's to a 170 mile or so test server.

Edit: If you switch to comcast be sure your old hardware switches, routers, cable, nic card are upgraded to 1gbit. Especially routers, some are 4 port 1g, but still have a 100mbit WAN port. So be sure to check that your router and other hardware can handle a docsis 3.0 speed and ipv6. You could just use comcast modem/router, but my router has way better options so I had Comcast put the modem into bridge mode alling me to use my own router without double natting. Bridging the modem will still allow Xfinity wifi to work and telephony to work if you get a Comcast phone. However, the 2.4g and 5g wifi on the Comcast modem will be turned off. The xfinity 4 and 5g will still be enabled. It's the xfinity hotspot feature that comes with the modem. Anyone can use your modem to access the net. It doesn;t use your bandwith or expose your network. So it's completely safe to use it. You can control who uses too from logging into your account online. The device connects and pulls down a config. like say... an android device. Then when you're away form home you can use other peoples xfinity hotspots to access the internet. It's a completely different public IP address somewhere in the 10.0.0.0 range. I like using it even at home as it takes the load off the router and other things. Extra benefit different IP addresses from whatever network you connect to. You'll love it.

Edited by technonymous, 16 March 2017 - 12:44 PM.

#13 Wooohah

Wooohah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

It's hard to diagnose. There are issues like this all the time that the remedy is throw money at it till goes away. As we discussed earlier, I used to have DSL and it's horrible especially multiplayer. I got a dry dsl line and called the telco to switch me to fast path. It was about 5/1mb then. Made it a little better, but far worse for other tcp things like phone. Then interleaving had to be put back on. Cable is far better. I got a package, but I think it's $60 or so for Blast which is 200/10mbit I see over 200 down and 12-13 mbit up with Xfinity speed tests and around 30 ping. That's to a 170 mile or so test server.

Edit: If you switch to comcast be sure your old hardware switches, routers, cable, nic card are upgraded to 1gbit. Especially routers, some are 4 port 1g, but still have a 100mbit WAN port. So be sure to check that your router and other hardware can handle a docsis 3.0 speed and ipv6. You could just use comcast modem/router, but my router has way better options so I had Comcast put the modem into bridge mode alling me to use my own router without double natting. Bridging the modem will still allow Xfinity wifi to work and telephony to work if you get a Comcast phone. However, the 2.4g and 5g wifi on the Comcast modem will be turned off. The xfinity 4 and 5g will still be enabled. It's the xfinity hotspot feature that comes with the modem. Anyone can use your modem to access the net. It doesn;t use your bandwith or expose your network. So it's completely safe to use it. You can control who uses too from logging into your account online. The device connects and pulls down a config. like say... an android device. Then when you're away form home you can use other peoples xfinity hotspots to access the internet. It's a completely different public IP address somewhere in the 10.0.0.0 range. I like using it even at home as it takes the load off the router and other things. Extra benefit different IP addresses from whatever network you connect to. You'll love it.

Thanks for the reply man :) 
Unfortunately yeah... at this point its just keep throwing money at it until the problem goes away, its really painful, my experience with computers have been terrible. I take extra precautions, Id go as far as saying I take maybe too many precautions. I handle my components with gloves lol.
Always used AV, never installed anything bad, always make sure to keep temps low, drives not completely full... :(

Honestly ive used DSL for... 4 years without problems. Centurylink switched to some new cables in my neighborhood, VDSL2, instant problems. Been having stupid issues with my internet for the past 6 months. I'm done and i'm switching. Comcast offered 100mb/s, free cable install for $35 a month INCLUDING taxes. That price is ridiculously cheap, I think i'm paying 45 or so for 21mb/s from centurylink. 

And thanks for the heads up :) I know about all that, trust me... ive done so much troubleshooting on the internet trying to figure things out...
I'll be buying a router, Arris Surfboard probably, i still gotta do a bit more research and find one.
They'll be installing a cable to my room for me, since my room only has a DSL cable.

And NIC card? That's like the Lan card right? I just use ethernet connection, although... do I need some kind of special or better ethernet cable? My ASUS board can handle the speeds for sure probably.

#14 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,389 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:23 PM

Yes, NIC means Network Interface Card/Controller.

Just be sure that all the components from the computer network card to the switch/router/gateway is up to date. You don't want any old 100mbit hardware in there. For cables be sure to read on the sides of them  It must be CAT5e or better CAT6. Wifi cards Wireless N or better AC. Yes, that 100mbit from Comcast is a great deal. You will probably see real world speeds of 120mbit download and 13mbit upload. Here's what I get on blast speed tier...http://results.speedtest.xfinity.com/result/1504896864.png I read somewhere that Comcast has plans for more upgrading the download and upload. That distance is not correct on the speed test though. That's from the Comcast head CO to there. I am out about 120 miles. Ping is right on though. Nice to have in games. I dance circles around guys on dsl that are like 200-300 ping. I am wondering why they are standing there letting me shoot them in the face. LOL. It brings back memories of Counter Strike days.

#15 Wooohah

Wooohah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:32 PM

Yes, NIC means Network Interface Card/Controller.

Just be sure that all the components from the computer network card to the switch/router/gateway is up to date. You don't want any old 100mbit hardware in there. For cables be sure to read on the sides of them  It must be CAT5e or better CAT6. Wifi cards Wireless N or better AC. Yes, that 100mbit from Comcast is a great deal. You will probably see real world speeds of 120mbit download and 13mbit upload. Here's what I get on blast speed tier...http://results.speedtest.xfinity.com/result/1504896864.png I read somewhere that Comcast has plans for more upgrading the download and upload. That distance is not correct on the speed test though. That's from the Comcast head CO to there. I am out about 120 miles. Ping is right on though. Nice to have in games. I dance circles around guys on dsl that are like 200-300 ping. I am wondering why they are standing there letting me shoot them in the face. LOL. It brings back memories of Counter Strike days.

Ah thank you! 
I'm likely going to be getting an Arris Surfboard SB6183 or a SB6190. First one supports speeds up to around 340 download and 130 upload, second one supports Gigabit internet. Likely going to get the second, since gigabit will soon likely come to my area, plus its only $20 or so more.
Right now since I'm using 20mbps I probably don't have a CAT5E cable as my ethernet cable, whatever random cable that comes with my centurylink modem. I know both the Arris modems come with a CAT5E cable which supports 1GBPS.

Honestly though... I gamed on 12mbps DSL for pretty much as long as I can remember. I was always fine. I mean in BF4 I got like 30ish ping and I was still dancing around everyone else, I loved playing close quarters and I was perfectly capable of beating other people. BF3 was the same deal I played on a completely potato computer at the time and it was even on wifi and it was fine!
But... Centurylink came in and "upgraded" the lines and now suddenly even 21 is performing like crap via ethernet. :( 
Really hoping the 100mbps will be a huge improvement! Mainly looking for the snappier performance when loading webpages and downloading.
The speed of the internet is really holding back my PC haha, should be opening webpages and anything instantly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users