Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to encrypt a bootable drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KevinMeehan

KevinMeehan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:06 AM

Hello all,

I've been a Mac user all my life. Recently, I built a Windows 10 PC and love the OS. I decided to buy a TB external hard drive on Amazon and create a bootable HDD to run Windows on my Mac when I want to (BootCamp doesn't work on my Mac), which I successfully did.

My Mac is encrypted with FireVault (Apple's built-in encryption software) for general safety. I'd like to do the same with my bootable external hard drive running Windows 10.

My question is, is this possible? Will the Mac recognize an encrypted external hard drive at the boot menu? If it did, would I just have to enter the password immediately and then boot Windows?

Say it is possible to encrypt a bootable external HDD. How would I do it? Would I use a Windows software within the bootable WinOS, or would I use FireVault from the Mac?

Thanks a lot. - Kevin.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:59 AM

Hello Kevin,

Have a read...

http://lifehacker.com/format-encrypted-drives-as-exfat-to-make-them-play-nice-1778982194

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:48 AM

This article explains how to create a TrueCrypt (and by extension VeraCrypt) container on an ExFAT disk.

Such a container can not be used to boot Windows.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 11 March 2017 - 05:49 AM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 th3k3rst

th3k3rst

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:05 PM

This can be done with PGP whole disk encryption, I think. I'm not sure how this would work with the dual boot scenario.

I found this, too. It talks about a dual boot, but with windows installed on a partition vs your separate external drive...

https://www.ahrenstein.com/blog/dual-booting-encrypted-windows-and-encrypted-os-x/

This is actually interesting to me. I would like to hear how this is going for you. LMK if any of my suggestions help, too! I've never done this so I'm just kinda shootin ya ideas

GOOD LUCK!

If youre using win to go, cant you just use bitlocker?

I saw your post at cnet saying you were using win2go.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj592680(v=ws.11).aspx#wtg_faq_bitlocker

Edited by th3k3rst, 13 March 2017 - 03:22 PM.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:17 AM

This article explains how to create a TrueCrypt (and by extension VeraCrypt) container on an ExFAT disk.

Such a container can not be used to boot Windows.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I wasn't suggesting booting the exfat drive. I was suggesting keeping each os in their normal supported format or dual boot, but have a separate partition formatted in exfat. This way both OS's can mount and share the exfat drive and have the ability to encrypt files with Veracrypt that runs on MAC, Windows and Linux. If the OP wants full disk encryption and ability to share files between MAC and Win then each os will still need to be separated and running their native encryption individually (bitlocker) etc and then still make a volume partition in exfat to be shared and mounted with veracrypt. Maybe there is better solutions out there.

#6 alexoler

alexoler

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:22 AM

yes with veracrypt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users