Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plugging in USB thumb drives (most times) leads to bad state of entire system

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mariusi

mariusi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:27 AM

Hi.

For many months now I have this big issue:

at times USB flash drives (different) are not recognized, not readable, not ejectable. And this event also causes the system to not restart or shutdown anymore, networking also fails. USB mouse still works. I have tp force shutdown the system. After this restart the thumbdrives work fine if I plug them very soon after the system is turned on.

The only errors in Event Viewer appear to be connected to the problem, not the cause of it: "A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the WSearch" (also same for Avast). In the past I also had "The device (location (unknown)) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash.", but not anymore.

Environment: Asus N750JK, Windows 10 up-to-date, USB 3.0, drivers up-to-date.

What I tried:

delete all USB drivers under Device Manager and restarting for them to be reinstalled;

manual reinstall of USB 3.0 drivers;

formatting the flash drives, and using them in another system (they work fine);

run WinUSB.diagcab (no problems detected);

ran Intel® Driver Update Utility.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:48 AM

Hello, Mariusi,

I would say uninstall and reinstall drivers, but it seems you've tried that.

Did this happen before upgrading to Windows 10?

Has Windows 10 worked fine before this issue?

How many USB devices are you using?

Are you using a USB hub?

I would suggest inspecting the USB ports for damage.

Uninstall any virtual drive software that you may use. Things like Virtual clone drive software etc.

#3 mariusi

mariusi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:37 AM

The reinstall (with remove of all USB related devices and resart) I did I about 3-4 times (different time periods).

The issue didn't appear on Windows 8.1.

I am using only 1 USB  device (a mouse), 3 other ports are emptys. No USB hub.

I do use the same port to plug in flash drives, but the issue appeared on the other 2 ports I tried. And with 3 different

I guess the only software that deals with drives that I have is DiskCryptor (had it for a while). I open it rarely.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:57 AM

Hmm that's is unfortunate. This is going to be tough to solve this issue.  I find this issue on the rise with people owning Windows 8 machines and upgrading to Windows 10 and the problems start. Some Hardware just flat out refuses to work with Windows 10 and there is no support or solution. You should contact factory support for your pc and see if they can come up with a fix. The website does offer a new bios something about fixing a issue with the nic card. You did mention that the USB knocks out the wifi correct? There might be some kind of a power draw issue there that the bios will fix. It's worth a try.

Edited by technonymous, 10 March 2017 - 08:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users