Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Upgrade Problems

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

Literally all day for the past 9 hours I've been trying to perform an SSD upgrade, which I was told over & over to be the simplest of tasks. Yet no matter what I try I'm running into countless issues, none of which I don't think I can call the company over as they'll likely just give me some marketing speak to buy some proprietary USB cable or use the disk that contains outdated software which would likely corrupt something, all of which I don't need. So now I'll explain what I've done & the issues in depth, sorry if this is a long post but it needs to be clear.

As always, I was told to disregard the Disk that came with my 250GB Samsung 850 EVO as installing the outdated software on it, then trying to update said software can result in corruptions. So I just mounted the SSD, plugged in the SATA power & SATA 3 cable to my SATA 2 Motherboard, tripple checked all the connections to ensure they were 100% seated (spent 2.5 hours on this) & then booted my PC. After taking pics of my BIOS just in case I then proceeded to initialize my SSD in Windows Disk Management as instructed by various online sources. Following this I was told to create a "New Simple Volume..." via that same tool, this is where I encountered the first failure. No matter what I did the RAW SSD refused to format when quick format was selected. Desperate I tried unchecking that box which resulted in what I think to be a long format. This then hung & refused to finish or cancel no matter how long I waited, so I restarted my PC & it finally stopped.

After this point I finally found out that I needed Samsung's Data Migration Software in order to mirror my OS & everything to the new drive in a much simpler manner. So I downloaded that started the cloning process. It failed & gave me an error saying "Cloning failed. An error occurred during defragmentation. 301400[049958]". After clicking complete (the only option available) it then asked if I wanted to automatically restart & run a chckdsk which I said yes. That then ran & completed fairly quickly, the only thing I saw that sounded bad was "43 reparsed records processed". I tried cloning it again & the same thing happen, so now I'm fed up & really need some dumbed down help because I'm tried of making bad decisions on my own.

1a: Were my failed attempts at formatting the brand new drive via Windows what caused a corruption that's resulting in cloning failures?

1b: If not then what is & what the heck do I do? (My HDD is almost 6 years old so I'd like to get this fixed ASAP before it goes out & I'm left helpless).

2a: If the solution is to clean install Windows but to the new SSD then clone that to my HDD, how can I know I won't encounter the same or more issues that will keep me offline for months?

2b: I'm assuming the worst of that above because of what I've experienced so far & the fact my OS is an OEM Copy, could that in itself be the cause of cloning failure?

3: If I should just forget about this all together, how can I ensure my SSD doesn't have anything on it so I can put it away for new build in 2+ months?

System Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM

Hitachi 1TB HDS721010CLA

Samsung 250GB 850 EVO

Athlon X2 260

Radeon HD 6450

ASUS M4N68T-M-V2

TurboLink ATX-TL 500W-BK 12V

Edited by Mike_Soda, 09 March 2017 - 07:33 PM.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

I will offer a solution that may or may not work but has worked for other people. On your HDD download and install Aomei Partition Assistant Free. Run the program with your SSD attached. Click on Wizard > Disk Copy Wizard. Copy Disk Quickly. Follow the steps. Check the box for optimizing SSDs and Fit Partitions to Entire Disk. After all steps are completed click Apply. Detach the HDD and boot the SSD. Shutdown and attach the HDD. Download from majorgeeks, not cnet.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/aomei_partition_assistant.html

http://www.disk-partition.com/copy-disk-partition-wizard.html

Edit: You do not want to boot the cloned SSD with the HDD attached when first booting your SSD as Windows can get confused on the boot loader location.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 March 2017 - 08:03 PM.

#3 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

Thank you, I've been hearing elsewhere that the SSD could simply be faulty, is this true & should I simply RMA it first or after I try the above?

Edited by hamluis, 11 March 2017 - 02:27 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

Run Seatools for Windows on the SSD and do the short/long tests to test for a failing drive. 

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Read the Seatools for Windows guide.

If the SSD passes then try Aomei partition assistant.

#5 ESmithE

ESmithE

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

Hi dude, Can you paste your pictures here? So that we may get some clues of your issues. I know another trusted software - Backupper, which you can give it a shot to clone a hard disk. And it supports migrating Windows OS to SSD, which seems you can use of. Just try it. 

Edited by ESmithE, 10 March 2017 - 01:30 AM.

#6 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:59 PM

Run Seatools for Windows on the SSD and do the short/long tests to test for a failing drive. 

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Read the Seatools for Windows guide.

If the SSD passes then try Aomei partition assistant.

It passed both the short & long tests, tried to call Samsung & the lady there had no clue so redirected me to Microsoft & they redirected me to their website for "self help". I'd really prefer to use Samsung Data Migration so I'm considering trying this linked here too. If you could let me know your thoughts on it that'd be great, it's marked as best answer, talks about disabling windows restore point, hibernation & a few other things.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:08 PM

The idea of defragging the HDD and also disabling hibernation and the Page File is a good one. I am not sure what the reasoning is behind shrinking C: after removing the paging file. I would avoid doing that.  By the link are you referring to using Macrium Free to clone the disk. That software can also clone disks

My reply from samsung... Please, defragment the HDD before starting the migration, and desable the Page File, the Windows system restore point files and the Hibernation files.The Windows system restore point files can be eliminated by turning of restore point protection for the C drive. Right mouse click on my Computer --> properties then system protection. The hibernation file can eliminated by turning off sleep mode hibernation in the Control Panel --> Power Options --> Advanced settings. The page file can been eliminated by right mouse clicking on my Computer, properties --> Advanced-->Performance-->Advanced the click on the change button. Unchecked allowing Windows to manage the page file then select no page file. Reboot your PC and shrink the C partition. Then go back and turn on paging, restore points for the C partition and hibernation. Now reboot again.Connect the SSD directly via Sata or via usb.

#8 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:26 PM

Thanks & if I may be honest for a second, I am afraid of using third-party programs. It's not that I don't trust you specifically but as a whole trust is an issue for me unless it's "official". I'm going to try calling Samsung again right now but if that doesn't work I'll first try defragmenting & disabling hibernation, page file, firewall & antivirus plus disconnecting myself from the internet. This will all have to be attempted tomorrow though as I'm running out of time today & want to call Samsung back regarding something else. As a matter of fact I need to ask you about that too, why doesn't Samsung Magician detect my SSD right now?

Edited by hamluis, 11 March 2017 - 02:30 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:33 PM

If the SSD is not initialized, partitioned and formatted then Magician or Windows will not see it. Disabling your AV is another good idea before doing the clone.

I would not worry about using name brand third party tools. I have used Aomei, Macrium, and numerous others without a problem. If the clone fails the other option is to create a disk image with software like Macrium to an external hard drive then restore the image from the external drive to the SSD. I still think you would have good luck using the Aomei Partition Assistant disk copy method if your clone fails.

#10 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:18 AM

I can initialize the SSD but not partition or format, I'm going to try getting in touch with Samsung's SSD technical support tomorrow specifically. The first time I tried I think the automated thing misheard me because the woman it connected me to didn't have a clue. A second try it claimed I asked for TV help, which I explained to the guy I said SSD & not TV so he redirected me but I was on hold for over an hour until they closed. Because my attempts to format & partition the SSD fail, is that a sign of a deeper issue such as hardware fault? I ask that because regardless if I am able to find a way to clone my OS to it, I still need to be able to format the SSD & reuse it in my new PC when it's time.

Edited by hamluis, 11 March 2017 - 02:30 PM.

#11 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:40 AM

Cloning is not hard , or shouldnt be.

If you are going to Clone the Old Drive to the SSD ensure the SSD  has the Space to accomodate the Old HD size.

Different Size Drives Doesnt Matter , as long as the SSD can fit the currently used space. 

I too tried Magician and it failed in cloning , so i used Minitool Partittion Wizard / Free.

Minitool can do the Clone  https://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html  {Free Version }.

Mine was Toshiba SATA 500G  to Samsung SSD 500G  850 EVO.

It Cloned Fine / Swapped Drives / Booted SSD and no issues.

Leave the old Drive in , and Clone it to the New Drive { SSD }  via USB sata / power Adapter, or Onboard Sata and Power / then swap em over after clone and boot from the SSD.

Simply Select all Partitions on the Old drive and Clone to the SSD.

1/ Select Wizard - Copy Partitions.

2/ Select all From Old Drive

3/ Select New Drive as Destination { SSD }

2/ Then Click Apply Tab to start the Task.

You can Install Magician Software to Set Power Options etc

Or as i have done also >

Disable Pagefile

Disable System Restore

Set Over Provisioning Space for Drive.

Edited by Havachat, 10 March 2017 - 03:57 AM.

#12 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:20 PM

If you are going to Clone the Old Drive to the SSD ensure the SSD  has the Space to accomodate the Old HD size.

Different Size Drives Doesnt Matter , as long as the SSD can fit the currently used space. 

I too tried Magician and it failed in cloning , so i used Minitool Partittion Wizard / Free.

Minitool can do the Clone  https://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html  {Free Version }.

Leave the old Drive in , and Clone it to the New Drive { SSD }  via USB sata / power Adapter, or Onboard Sata and Power / then swap em over after clone and boot from the SSD.

Or as i have done also >

Disable Pagefile

Disable System Restore

It's the Samsung Data Migration software that's supposed to clone, Magician just monitors & can erase when it's got something on it. My concern is that a 3rd party cloning software may work but then I still wont be able to format the drive via Windows or Magician when it's time to clean it & move to new PC. I'll try yours first though, worst case scenario it either doesn't work or does but I still can't reformat which I'll try immediately after. In that case I'll just RMA it as faulty because when there is for sure something on it, their own software or windows should be able to format without a problem. By swap them over are you referring to the SATA ports or just change the boot order in my BIOS?

Edited by Mike_Soda, 10 March 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:40 PM

There will be no problem wiping the disk then partitioning and reformatting the drive if you clone the drive with a third party program. If you want to reformat then use Partition Wizard to do the partitioning and formatting.

You would first Delete All Partitions. Then create a primary partition formatted NTFS in the unallocated space. Click Apply.

#14 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

There will be no problem wiping the disk then partitioning and reformatting the drive if you clone the drive with a third party program. If you want to reformat then use Partition Wizard to do the partitioning and formatting.

You would first Delete All Partitions. Then create a primary partition formatted NTFS in the unallocated space. Click Apply.

I tried the steps linked here I mentioned earlier & Samsung Migration software still failed. So now I'll try Partition Wizard that Havachat suggested. If that fails then I should return the drive as faulty right?

Edited by hamluis, 11 March 2017 - 02:33 PM.
Edited - Hamluis.

#15 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:14 PM

Or as i have done also >

Disable Pagefile

Disable System Restore

I'm sorry but I need clearer instructions then that because I'm stuck. I ran MiniTool Partition Wizard & I see the icon at top to Copy Partition. Upon selecting this it shows all my drives, I can select Disk 1 as my HDD but then the next button is greyed out. It only becomes available when I select either 100MB System Reserved or Drive C which is 931.4GB.

1: What do I do from this point exactly?

2: I see an option at the top to simply Migrate OS to SSD/HD, shouldn't I be doing that instead because all I want to do is clone my HDD's OS install & my files to SSD?

3: How long will it take to clone/copy/migrate or whatever all my 55GB used space to the SSD? I need to a rough guess so I don't accidentally start this too late, PC is too loud to leave on while sleeping.

Edited by Mike_Soda, 10 March 2017 - 02:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users