Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

increase of memory now locking up pre boot on Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 reversenotation

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:27 PM

I decided to increase the memory of my desktop computer by adding more of the correct memory.  Immediately after doing this I have been unable to boot.   At the earliest stages of booting in to Windows 10, my machine locks up on that boot screen where you see the Windows flag and below, a pattern of dots moving in a circular shape.  It always locks up at this stage.

I have removed the new memory chip and reverted back to my known good memory, trying different slots also, but to no avail.

I am assuming that it has to be a hardware issue, and that either I have somehow damaged the motherboard or that perhaps I have done something to the CPU cooler by nudging it when trying to fit the memory, although there is nothing outwardly obvious to suggest this.

Any advice would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RenoGeek

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:23 AM

"new memory chip" Just one? In most cases you install them in pairs.

So if that is the case it would be the first thing I would rectify.

If by chance you did install a new pair. You can try this...

1. take out all the memory.

2. just install the "new" memory.

Does it work by itself?

If so the 2 types of memory (old / new) are not compatible with each other for whatever reason.

I am not anti-social, I'm just not user friendly. 

Have you backed up today? Did you backup your backup?

Virus Removal Guides

Computer Technician Checklist

Microsoft Safety & Security Center

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users