Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permanently deleting things

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kat_xp

Kat_xp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 10 December 2004 - 06:19 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm just wondering, once my cache and cookies have been deleted, and if I empty my recycling bin, are all the files permanently deleted?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 10 December 2004 - 06:54 PM

In a simple word-yes. They are deleted. If you are really concerned about them returning, you can restart the computer, and that will lower the chances of recovery. Even then, you would have to purchase software designed to "find" it.

Oh and by the way, welcome to BC Kat_xp
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 10 December 2004 - 10:28 PM

Those files are deleted, in the sense that the OS cannot find them, and the space they once occupied is now available. But, until overwritten, the information still exists on your hard drive. Deleteing items is much like ripping out the table of contents to a book---the actual chapters are still there.
There are several free programmes out there that will actually overwrite any chosen instances; my own preference is Eraser, at tolvanen.com, but Spybot has a shredder, as well.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:35 PM

Have you tried using cleanup?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users