Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

fresh install issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DeanDavis609

DeanDavis609

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:42 PM

Having a tough time installing (from working ISOs ) any and all OSs ...... windows xp to 10...... ubuntu 11 to 14... android x86..... ETC
attempts in several ways on each platform from CD or flash ..... dual boots and formatted ata or sata drives.
Have dozens of PCs to piece from and dozens more already parted out.... and still no success.
all attempts have failed to load quoting "disk error" as reason for failure.
i have been doing pc work since DOS days..... and i can't even get FDISK ti work from floppy.
Bios flashed or restored.....
large format drives or small....
Single Primary Master to multiple option CD OR SLAVE.

Has anyone else been having a nearly 100% failure rate on fresh installs???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

Assuming you are using the same box and you have swapped out with different hard drives,  it must be something in your box. You have to start testing individual components 1x1 until you find the problem. Possibly even the motherboard itself, if it is old-check for capacitors that have failed, and bad cables if you are using older IDE or SATA cables.

Edited by ranchhand_, 09 March 2017 - 03:53 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 DeanDavis609

DeanDavis609
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:28 PM

Yes.... all cables and power supplies swapped out.

If anything. ..... since this has been happening to older boards that it must be a component. .....

Which was my hypothetical situation. .... if not a possible malicious software issue affecting... non-licenced windows install program. ... since even ubuntu has not been able to complete.

Thanks for the input

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

You might check the caps on the board; I get the older ones in all the time now with blown caps.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 RenoGeek

RenoGeek

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

Sounds like hardware and not your install media.

Since you said you have a ton of parts I would try and build a "new" box (without any of the parts you have already used) and then try a install on that.

If it works then your box you have been working on still has a defective part (motherboard?). If the install still fails on a different box then your install media is bad.

Try creating new install media from a different computer, make sure your finalizing disks / change to a different CD package etc....

Good luck. 

I am not anti-social, I'm just not user friendly. 

Have you backed up today? Did you backup your backup?

Virus Removal Guides

Computer Technician Checklist

Microsoft Safety & Security Center

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

Are you sure the hdds you are using are in workable condition?

Have you run bootable hdd diagnostic?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users