Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory RAM works strange way

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

#1 sarahos

sarahos

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

Hi,

My OS is Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and In the BIOS it says I have 4096MB, so the BIOS detects , but when I checked in the System in Windows I've got 4.00 GB (2.62 GB usable).
I don't know what it means and what is a problem and how to solve it.
I swap a dimms slots. It didn't help. My Memory sticks there are identical (the same company, the same kind, each of them is 1GB), the order how they will be install on motherboard is not important, but still I try to put them in different slots and again nothing changed.

I didn't mention this, I didn't notice in which moment it happened but everything before was ok (I never checked Ram) because everything was working perfect but in one moment my computer started  to work strange and slow, and this was when I started to look for a reason and I checked Ram. My Memory sticks are the same and my motherboard is taking them doesn't matter which way. Before when I bought them I check and they are good for my motherboard..
They were working perfect without problems before and I'm not pro but I think that maybe I did something or somehow something happened in the configuration.
This is no my original computer this is another one which I can use now.
My motherboard is a Asus PTGD1-LA (Goldfish3) and know is old one but this is what I can use now and I need to solve this problem.  .
Please, someone with bigger knowledge help me.
Thank you in advance !!!

P.S.

I tried to change amount of ram in Advanced options using msconfig.exe in boot section but when I marked Maximum memory and restarted computer everything was the same.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/978610/the-usable-memory-may-be-less-than-the-installed-memory-on-windows-7-based-computers

Louis

#3 sarahos

sarahos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

The usable memory may be less than the installed memory on Windows 7 -

Yes I know about this , but never so much and another thing, somebody told me that is something wrong with amount hardware reserve memory( too much)

I'm going to send you 2 pictures, and on second you are going to see how it looks with 2 sticks.

P.S.

I tried different stics in different dimm slots and always is the same way. The Ram sticks are good and dimms slots are good then what is wrong?

And I told you before I didn't have different number of total ram and used one.

Do you see amount of reserved hardware memory on picture with 2 stiks?

What is going on?

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.png   9.05KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  55.png   43.08KB   0 downloads

Edited by sarahos, 09 March 2017 - 07:18 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

This is what my resource monitor looks like and as far as I am aware my computer is running perfectly normally -

Attached File  Resource monitor.jpg   98.85KB   0 downloads

It looks very similar to yours apart from the fact that I have 12 GB installed. I think you will have to look elsewhere for the cause of your problem. Do you know how to post a speccy report ?

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 sarahos

sarahos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:52 PM

You REALLY don't see that my situation is COMPLETELY different?

Installed      4096 MB
Total            2679 MB
Reserved    1417 MB

The difference between TOTAL and INSTALLED is almost Half and Reserved is more than have of my whole TOTAL. :axe:

Edited by sarahos, 09 March 2017 - 07:56 PM.

#6 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:52 AM

Is your BIOS up to date?

#7 anorkneemerse

anorkneemerse

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:01 AM

@ sarahos, .......

Please try this link ... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/59516-63-installed-75gb-usable-64bit-win7

#8 sarahos

sarahos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

Hi,

My BIOS is updated. I tried what people said in this link, but it doesn't work. For example:

>open msconfig using search
>in msconfig click on boot
>next inside boot click on advanced options
>In boot advanced options tick on maximum memory
>in maximum memory type value "4096"
>then click OK
>Next click apply in msconfig
>Then Restart your pc
>Done
>1000000000 percent works!!!!!!!!

===============

When I marked Maximum Memory after restart it was always unmarked again.

Another advice. The same on the beginning and after this:

Set system config to max processors and max memory.
None of it changed the fact that I had 8gigs but only 2.92 usable.
Until a friend looked at my msconfig settings and notice that every time I changed my "BOOT advanced options to max memory it automatically changed my "Startup selection from Normal to Selective startup". After restarting with Normal startup selected, well hello, I now have all 8gigs! Perhaps I needed to go through all the other steps anyway, I may never know.

================

I'm not able to change Startup Selection from Selective startup to Normal because whenI press Apply button it come back to Selective one.

Edited by sarahos, 11 March 2017 - 09:58 AM.

#9 sarahos

sarahos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

I've changed Selective startup to Normal from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\microsoft\shared tools\MSCONFIG\startupreg deleting all the subkeys under startupreg key, but when I try to mark "Maximum Memory" right away is come back to "Selective" :spidy:

Edited by sarahos, 11 March 2017 - 10:42 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 sarahos

sarahos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:19 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gj67cHIw06mF5SI7aJYewWc

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:55 AM

One problem down, moving on...

Please do the following.

JcJ91sx.pngGSmartControl
Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:

1.  Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop.

2.  Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe.

3.  Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name).

4.  Click on the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete).

Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your topic.

Click on the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply).

info_failing.png

I've included instruction to make a screen shot in case you need them.

How to make a screenshot and post it in your topic

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot.

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

Edited by dc3, 12 March 2017 - 09:02 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 sarahos

sarahos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:20 PM

Hi,

Attached Files

#14 sarahos

sarahos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

Somebody There?

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:09 PM

I was out of town yesterday until late afternoon.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installatioSeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 15 March 2017 - 12:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users