Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Crash

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cute0206

cute0206

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

hi,
my HP notebook suddenly crashed last night, accompanied with a blue screen which starts with something like "a problem has been detected....." it went so fast, i was unable to read it. so i rebooted several times, still the same thing, each time,it didn't take long for it to crash again with exactly the same blue screen. now i'm in safe mode, not crashing yet. HELP! guys. :thumbsup:

Edited by cute0206, 03 September 2006 - 02:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:57 PM

To stop the spontaneous rebooting and be able to see the bsod which has information we can use to diagnose the problem do the following:

Right click on the "My Computer" icon on your screen, then select "Properties", click the "Advanced" tab

Click "settings" in "Startup and Recovery Settings"

Then uncheck Automatically Restart

Click "Apply" and then "OK"

Then when you receive a bsod the computer will stop on it so you can see what it says and you will have to reboot manually instead of the computer looping into spontaneous reboots.

Since this problem began last night, the easiest fix may be to use Windows System Restore to set your computer's system state back to a functional state.

To do so, click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Select a highlighted date from before the problem first began.
Follow the directions on-screen.

The System Restore utility will not affect your data or cause you to loose any but if you have done any Windows Updates since the restore date you will have to re-do them.

Let us know if this proves successful.

#3 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:04 PM

i did both of what you recommended in safe mode since it wouldn't allow me to do anything in normal mode before it crashes again. now i'm back to normal mode and it's been several minutes, let's see if it lasts. (btw, excuse some of the terminolgies i use as i'm not a savvy computer guy.)
i just hope there's nothing wrong with my harddrive, i've only had this notebook for 2 years.
thanks again.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:14 PM

Hopefully, the problem will be resolved.

If not, come back and we will continue with additional possible solutions.

The bsods (stop screens) are usually driver or software related so the chances of it being the hard drive are not likely, but now is as good a time as any to back up data that cannot be easily replaced.

Good luck.

#5 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:59 PM

the system is still holding up. thank you, Enthusiast!
but i do have a problem, sort of an old one, my firefox browser often crashes after a "quality feedback" box followed by another one saying "firefox has encountered a problem...... has to close"
what's up with that?

#6 mcheraghimn

mcheraghimn

• Banned
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:08 PM

re-installing the program may fix the problem.

#7 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:19 PM

do i have to uninstall it first? i'm afraid, that way, i'll lose all saved password,info as well as bookmark sites.?

#8 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:18 PM

back up all your mozilla stuff first, details below:

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

when you reinstall firefox there is an option to 'untick' the option 'quality feedback' part of the programme if you desire.

good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users