Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to run dskchk /r on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jasmine72

Jasmine72

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:19 AM

Hi I have been using this thread https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/483046/checking-file-system-in-c/ to try and fix my toshiba laptop, which has a dirty c drive.

When I run the above command and restart I get maybe 3% of the disk check done then the screen goes black then nothing! Any help/hints/ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 09 March 2017 - 11:46 AM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

It's possible the drive is corrupted beyond the ability of checkdisk to repair. Two things you can do:

1) Go to the website of your hd manufacturer, download their diagnostic utility, burn it to cd, boot to that cd and run the tests

2) Replace the drive. If you can get into Windows you can create an image of your drive, save it to a secondary medium (a second hd, dvd, etc) and restore it to the new drive once you install it. I'd suggest either Acronis True Image (not free) or Macrium Reflect (free) to create the image. Be sure to create a restore disk or boot disk with whichever program you use.

#3 Jasmine72

Jasmine72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

I remember trying to create a rescue disk when I got the lap top but it kept failing! I'll try the above and let you know how it goes. Not sure if this is beyond my capabilities Thanks.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

I didn't mention a rescue disk :). You'll need to create a boot disk within the imaging program. This will allow you to boot to their recovery portal so you can access and restore the image you created.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

Another option would be to run SeaTools for Windows to run a diagnostic on the hdd.  This program will work with any hdd.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installatioSeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Jasmine72

Jasmine72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

I'm ready to through it out the window tbh! I've been using my iPad for a year or so so it's my other half that uses the laptop! Spent all day trying to fix it and now all I get is a black screen, cannot get to desktop to install SeeTolls as I've seen it mentioned on a few posts, thanks for the step by step tutorial, I will endeavour to install it!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

Edit:  I should have asked this earlier... what is the make and model of this computer?

See if you can boot into Safe Mode.

With the computer shut down press the power button and immediately start tapping the F8 key.  Continue to do this till you see a image similar to the one below or until it boots to a black screen.

abow7_zpsc072f26e.png

Do you have the installation disc for this version of Windows 7?

Edited by dc3, 09 March 2017 - 12:19 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Jasmine72

Jasmine72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

It's a Toshiba, sorry I'm unsure of the model.

When I get this screen above, I don't have the repair option. I've attached a photo, hopefully you can see it.

I chose the option and it seems to halt on:

Loaded: \Windows\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS
Attached File  image.jpeg   176.42KB   0 downloads
Safe mode with command prompt, sorry meant to say this is the option I chose.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:46 PM

If you can access the Command Prompt please run the following scans and post the logs.  You will be able to post the chkdsk /r log in your topic, but you will need to post the sfc /scannow log at a host website as it is usually very large.

Please run chkdsk /r
Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the HDD and recovers any readable information.

Attention:  If this is a SSD do not run the /r switch, instead run chkdsk /f.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, then type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Copy and paste chkdsk /r in the command prompt, then press EnterPlease note:   

You will receive the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

When the scan is finished please download and run ListChkdskResult.

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

Please run sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png then type cmd in the Search box.

CMD will appear above the search box, right click on it and select Run as administrator.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"b]

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled CBS.  Double click on this icon to open
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

To find sfc /scannow log, reopen the Elevated Command Prompt.  When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

[b]findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click/tap on this to open the log, copy and paste it in your topic.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

#10 Jasmine72

Jasmine72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

Ok running the test now, managed to get it installed.

Edited by hamluis, 09 March 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#11 Jasmine72

Jasmine72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

Starting to wish I hadn't bothered anyone with this, I'm sure it's ready for the skip. I got to 2% of the sea tools and now have a green screen!

Regarding your instructions above, I cannot get the promo, it keeps sticking at the CLASS\PNP.SYS

The other instruction is what I've been trying to do most of the day, when I restart to begin the check it starts, the check begins for about 3% then it just goes to a black screen and does nothing.

#12 Jasmine72

Jasmine72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

I didn't mention a rescue disk :). You'll need to create a boot disk within the imaging program. This will allow you to boot to their recovery portal so you can access and restore the image you created.

Allan, I realise you didn't mean a rescue disk, just think what you are advising is above my pic capabilities ha ha. It may still come to me trying it however, I've spent 7 hours trying to fix this thing today and I'm amazied it hasn't ended up going through a window!!

#13 Jasmine72

Jasmine72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

I don't have the installation disk for Windows 7, I stupidly lent it to someone and never got it back.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:26 PM

The SeaTools utility and the utility I suggested you download from your hd manufacturer will do a better job than checkdisk at checking and repairing the drive, if possible. Question: if the screen goes black after checkdisk runs to 3%, how do you know it's not doing anything? Is there a hd light on the system you can look at? If it's blinking then checkdisk is still running. Also, how long after the screen goes black to you give it before rebooting?

#15 Jasmine72

Jasmine72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

The hd light is lit up but not blinking at all. I left it for an hour or so earlier today, but since the hd light wasn't blinking I assumed it wasn't doing anything. I also assumed that because the percentage was not on the screen for me to see it had stopped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users